It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Tricor and Omega's together - can they be harmful?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2006, 05:00 AM   #1
    arihalli
    (male)

arihalli HB User
    Tricor and Omega's together - can they be harmful?

Does anyone know if you take Tricor (for lowering Triglycerides) AND Omega's together can be harmful?..........i asked my MD and while taking the Tricor i asked about taking the Omega's and he didn't feel it was such a good idea - i can't understand why - does anyone know? tx.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
    ediot
    (male)

ediot HB User
    Re: Tricor and Omega's together - can they be harmful?

Maybe because the Omega 3's can be purchased over the counter which is harmful to the pharmaceutical industry. I take Tricor 145 mg and Omega 3 daily. My numbers came down dramatically. I then ask my doc if I can go to a lower dosage of Tricor and he says no. Okay. With that he does say that the omega 3 most definitely will lower my TG's as well. I say great. He says we may be able to eventually stop taking Tricor. Great! Then with a straight face he tells me about a prescription Omega 3! What?? Why would I need a scrip when I can get an excellent OTC at the corner chain drug store? WHY? I'm no detective but I do think that there is some funny stuff going on between doc's and the giant drug cartels.. I mean corporations.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Any doctor that does not think omegas are essential is in need of some re-education.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:04 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

arihalli,

Since fibrates interfere with the absorption of fats it is probably wise to take your Omega-3 oil 12 hours separated from the Tricor.
    The combo isn't HARMFUL but the Tricor can render the Omega-3's less useful.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:05 AM   #5
    arihalli
    (male)

arihalli HB User

thx for the answers......i am at the point where the ppi's are just not working for me.......i wonder about the Tricor......many people have told me that the OMEGA's would be far better to take to bring down triglycerides (for health reasons) - is that been your experience?

Old 11-15-2006, 06:18 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Omega oils, while beneficial, simply do not bring triglycerides down very far. They are effective but weak.

What are ppi's...I must be thick this morning? : (Proton Pump Inhibitors, People for the Protection of Inuits?????)

Closed Thread