It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• When do you take your medicine?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
    Kim913
    (female)

Kim913 HB User
    When do you take your medicine?

I went to the dr 4 days ago and was told I have a low thyroid and high cholesterol. I was giving thyroid medicine and Tricor and Vytroin. I am also on the BC pill and I am trying to create a schedule. I take BC and thyroid pill first thing in the morning and my cholesterols at night before bed. I suffer from insomnia (probably because of my thyroid) and I noticed one of the side effects of the tricor or vytroin is insomnia so I dont know if I am just being me and suffering from insomnia until the thyroid gets fixed or if the cholesterol medicine is causing it. Anyone else take their pills before bed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2006, 08:01 PM   #2
    gardeninggal
    (female)

gardeninggal HB User
    Re: When do you take your medicine?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kim913
    I went to the dr 4 days ago and was told I have a low thyroid and high cholesterol. I was giving thyroid medicine and Tricor and Vytroin. I am also on the BC pill and I am trying to create a schedule. I take BC and thyroid pill first thing in the morning and my cholesterols at night before bed. I suffer from insomnia (probably because of my thyroid) and I noticed one of the side effects of the tricor or vytroin is insomnia so I dont know if I am just being me and suffering from insomnia until the thyroid gets fixed or if the cholesterol medicine is causing it. Anyone else take their pills before bed?
    Hi Kim, I too have to take a throid medication, I take Armour a natural one. I too suffer from time to time with insomnia but I will tell you that you have a harder time getting a good night sleep if you have too much thyroid, Low thyroid makes you feel tired and you just want to lay around and nap. I take Niacin for my cholesterol and I take it with my evening meal. I take my thyroid medication just before I go to bed and that has worked real well. I used to take it in the morning but I found out you should take your thyroid medication on an empty stomach and never with vitamins. Calcium will block it's use. I found that when I switched to night that I lost almost 5 lbs because I was getting better use from the medication.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

You should take the Armour twice a day instead of only once (same total dosage)... This is because Armour contains also T3. T3 has a short half life, therefore it doesn't last throughout the day (no matter what the dosage is). Also something that your doctor did that just angers me with any doctor....He gave you three new medicines. This should never, ever be done. It should be one at a time. In fact cholesterol medications should never be given until you have your thyroid straightened out. Low thryoid can cause high cholesterol. ALso remember that you should never take cholesterol medication if you are pregnant or possibly could become pregnant. Cholesterol medication is listed as an X drug by the FDA...meaning that severe birth defects could result from its use during pregnancy.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:30 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Kim,

On the old theory that statins worked overnight to remove LDL from the bloodstream I have always taken my Lipitor and now niacin at night. It has never caused me any sleeping problems. Turns out that people get pretty much the same results no matter WHEN they take the drug so the old wisdom doesn't apply.

In addition to your statin you are taking ezetimibe and fenofibrate. Frankly I don't know if they will mess with sleep or not.

I'm SURE you could take them in the morning and see if your sleep pattern improves.

I KNOW that thyroid levels have much more of an effect on sleep patterns than anti-cholesterol meds. Don't take a thyroid booster before bedtime...you might wake up at 3AM and start cleaning the house.

Last edited by Lenin; 11-18-2006 at 05:32 AM.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:11 AM   #5
    gardeninggal
    (female)

gardeninggal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NHone
    You should take the Armour twice a day instead of only once (same total dosage)... This is because Armour contains also T3. T3 has a short half life, therefore it doesn't last throughout the day (no matter what the dosage is). Also something that your doctor did that just angers me with any doctor....He gave you three new medicines. This should never, ever be done. It should be one at a time. In fact cholesterol medications should never be given until you have your thyroid straightened out. Low thryoid can cause high cholesterol. ALso remember that you should never take cholesterol medication if you are pregnant or possibly could become pregnant. Cholesterol medication is listed as an X drug by the FDA...meaning that severe birth defects could result from its use during pregnancy.

NHone, I have never heard about taking Armour twice a day, could you please tell me where you got that info.? thanks gardeninggal

Old 11-18-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

gardeninggal, I first found it on the internet when i was researching thyroid for my mother. I then called a Certified Geriatric Pharmacists that I know , and she also told me that T3 has a short half life. (8-12 hours). Taking it twice a day would maintina a proper blood level. Mother had low Free T3...a test that should always be done. Her problem was in converting T4 to T3. You might be converting properly. If you are having a mid-afternoon slump....you might try the twice per day method.

Closed Thread