It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Slowly dying on Lipitor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-26-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
    jtrice
    (male)

jtrice HB User
    Slowly dying on Lipitor

I know this has been covered before on this board, but I want to share my experience, feedback is welcome.
    Started Lipitor (40mg) two and half years ago, about 10 months ago I start having a variety of symptoms; cramps, profusely sweating, night sweats, and some GI problems. 4-5 months ago it goes to a whole other level; still having all of the previous symptoms I also started having extreme nausea, throwing up in the mornings, moderate muscle pain, SEVERE joint pain, cramps in my feet and calves, trouble swallowing (even choking)... and the last straw was when I started coughing up clear fluid. Now, I had esophogial dilation to help me swallow, I had 5 cortizone shots to help joint pain. But it all continued. I quit taking LIpitor 5 weeks ago and my whole life has changed. I've improved to about 85%, surprisingly the doc didn't fight me when I told him I would not take statins any more--ever.

My background, just turned 39, been working out since I was 14, wrestled in college, competed in bodybuilding, run daily etc...I had to QUIT doing everything. The upside is my muscles and joints feel much better, the downside is that since my nausea has gone away, I eat like a horse and have gained 15 lbs! Oh well, gonna get back on the treadmill today.

Anyone else experience all this crap?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
    slater1182
    (male)

slater1182 HB User
    Re: Slowly dying on Lipitor

At your age why did you start Lipitor? Could you not address high cholesterol with diet and exercise?

Old 11-26-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
    jtrice
    (male)

jtrice HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slater1182
    At your age why did you start Lipitor? Could you not address high cholesterol with diet and exercise?
    I tried with little success. I exercise regularly as it is, I tried altering my diet for 6 weeks, my number only came down about 10 points.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:30 PM   #4
    jtrice
    (male)

jtrice HB User

Quote:
    I tried with little success. I exercise regularly as it is, I tried altering my diet for 6 weeks, my number only came down about 10 points.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:30 PM   #5
    jtrice
    (male)

jtrice HB User

Quote:

Old 11-26-2006, 01:41 PM   #6
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtrice
    jtrice,

I had muscle aches and profound weakness after 7 1/2 year on Lipitor. I didn't experience any of the other symptoms you did - but then I was only on 10-20mg all that time.

What were your cholesterol numbers before you started Lipitor, and what was your most recent result?

40mg is a pretty high dose - just curious how high your numbers were to begin with.

Have you tried taking CoQ10? It may help you recover your strength and help with muscle aches - but the truth is, most people take around a year or more to really start regaining their strength and for the muscle pain to go away...

It's good that you stopped the Lipitor.

HubbleRules

Old 11-26-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
    vipergg22
    Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

Another wonderful testimony to this wonder drug . It sure makes you wonder what the FDA considers safe in its profile .

Old 11-27-2006, 05:35 AM   #8
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

jtrice,

What are your plans for controlling your blood lipids? Diet, exercise, weight loss?

Old 11-27-2006, 01:15 PM   #9
    jtrice
    (male)

jtrice HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HubbleRules
    jtrice,

I had muscle aches and profound weakness after 7 1/2 year on Lipitor. I didn't experience any of the other symptoms you did - but then I was only on 10-20mg all that time.

What were your cholesterol numbers before you started Lipitor, and what was your most recent result?

40mg is a pretty high dose - just curious how high your numbers were to begin with.

Have you tried taking CoQ10? It may help you recover your strength and help with muscle aches - but the truth is, most people take around a year or more to really start regaining their strength and for the muscle pain to go away...

It's good that you stopped the Lipitor.

HubbleRules
    I never paid that close attention to the specific numbers, I know that my total was like 280+ and I think my "bad" cholesterol was 140-150. I have since been told that 40MG is kind of high dose. I only know about CoQ10 from what I've read on this board. I need to look into it.

To be honest, I am so bummed about having to wait close to a year to get back to feeling physically 100%. I have been active my whole life, its very important to me. And getting bodyslammed by these damn statins has taken its toll on me mentally, I am sure I was on the verge of depression. I keep my fingers crossed everyday that I don't get a new "ache or pain" somewhere. I'm almost paranoid about it.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:18 PM   #10
    jtrice
    (male)

jtrice HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin
    jtrice,

What are your plans for controlling your blood lipids? Diet, exercise, weight loss?
    Well, my approach is to try and get active again, I'm basically in a self diagnosed rehab right now. I have a gym and a treadmill in my basement so I've got the exercise part covered. My wife has bought different foods and my diet will change slightly. But truthfully, its a qualify of life issue for me. If my numbers are high, then so be it. Living a full life is more important to me than living a long life feeling like hell.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:47 PM   #11
    vipergg22
    Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

Quote:
    Well, my approach is to try and get active again, I'm basically in a self diagnosed rehab right now. I have a gym and a treadmill in my basement so I've got the exercise part covered. My wife has bought different foods and my diet will change slightly. But truthfully, its a qualify of life issue for me. If my numbers are high, then so be it. Living a full life is more important to me than living a long life feeling like hell.
    That certainly needs to be one of the main criteria (quality of life) of whether you want to take the drugs or not . I was in the same boat and decided against taking any more statins after it did permanent nerve damage in both feet to the point of I cannot feel anything anymore in either foot , I'm 49 years old with 2 9 year olds to try and keep up with . At least all of the other half dozen side effects that I had besides the peripheral neuropathy have totally cured themselves after stopping the drugs .

Old 11-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #12
    edkal
    (male)

edkal HB User

Quote:
    I know this has been covered before on this board, but I want to share my experience, feedback is welcome.
    Started Lipitor (40mg) two and half years ago, about 10 months ago I start having a variety of symptoms; cramps, profusely sweating, night sweats, and some GI problems. 4-5 months ago it goes to a whole other level; still having all of the previous symptoms I also started having extreme nausea, throwing up in the mornings, moderate muscle pain, SEVERE joint pain, cramps in my feet and calves, trouble swallowing (even choking)... and the last straw was when I started coughing up clear fluid. Now, I had esophogial dilation to help me swallow, I had 5 cortizone shots to help joint pain. But it all continued. I quit taking LIpitor 5 weeks ago and my whole life has changed. I've improved to about 85%, surprisingly the doc didn't fight me when I told him I would not take statins any more--ever.

My background, just turned 39, been working out since I was 14, wrestled in college, competed in bodybuilding, run daily etc...I had to QUIT doing everything. The upside is my muscles and joints feel much better, the downside is that since my nausea has gone away, I eat like a horse and have gained 15 lbs! Oh well, gonna get back on the treadmill today.

Anyone else experience all this crap?
    You did a wise thing in not taking Lipitor. After reading all the side effects of Lip. I stopped taking this destructive drug after having problems with muscle aches in the legs and arms along with memory loss, eye sight, loss of sleep, and some more too long to mention, I walked around like a zombie, hearing things but not quite responding as a normal person.

I have recently tried Crestor as a last resort to lower my numbers, with a warning from my Dr. to stop if the pains returns. After 8 days on Crestor, it hit with a vengence again, and after stopping the Cresttor, my heath gradually has come back to a near normal. I still have slight leg nuscle pains, but I haven't felt this good in years.

Moral of story ? All meds. are not for all. Our bodies are not all alike. After 25 years plus of taking statins, my body said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, STOP !!!

Need I say more? Take heed and listen to your body and self instincts for preservation of life. Life is too short to live in pain from so called miracle medications.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:27 PM   #13
    jtrice
    (male)

jtrice HB User

Vipergg22, I feel for ya. Its gotta be tough enough trying to keep up with a couple 9 yr olds, then add to it the general crappy feeling one has while being on statins, I'm sure it was hell for awhile. Glad to hear your better, its encouraging to hear.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:34 PM   #14
    jtrice
    (male)

jtrice HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by edkal
    You did a wise thing in not taking Lipitor. After reading all the side effects of Lip. I stopped taking this destructive drug after having problems with muscle aches in the legs and arms along with memory loss, eye sight, loss of sleep, and some more too long to mention, I walked around like a zombie, hearing things but not quite responding as a normal person.

I have recently tried Crestor as a last resort to lower my numbers, with a warning from my Dr. to stop if the pains returns. After 8 days on Crestor, it hit with a vengence again, and after stopping the Cresttor, my heath gradually has come back to a near normal. I still have slight leg nuscle pains, but I haven't felt this good in years.

Moral of story ? All meds. are not for all. Our bodies are not all alike. After 25 years plus of taking statins, my body said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, STOP !!!

Need I say more? Take heed and listen to your body and self instincts for preservation of life. Life is too short to live in pain from so called miracle medications.
    Interesting to hear you had memory loss, I've read about it but never heard anyone experience it. My father was on Mevacor, I think it was doing a number on him too. He was a construction executive his whole career, master's degree, even began his PhD. The last couple years, he can't remember a damn thing, it has really effected him. I personally think it impacted his career as well.
    I echo your thoughts exactly, I've listened closely to my body my whole life and it was screaming at me that it was completely falling apart. The sweats, the vomiting, pain everywhere, and when I started coughing up clear fluid for 3 weeks for no apparent reason, I sincerely thought I was dying a slow death. Naturally depression was at the doorstep. I'm kind of a fitness nut and I've just completed a 1 mile slow jog on the treadmill with no pain.....and I'm ecstatic! (its the little things in life)

Old 11-27-2006, 10:10 PM   #15
    edkal
    (male)

edkal HB User

Quote:
    Interesting to hear you had memory loss, I've read about it but never heard anyone experience it. My father was on Mevacor, I think it was doing a number on him too. He was a construction executive his whole career, master's degree, even began his PhD. The last couple years, he can't remember a damn thing, it has really effected him. I personally think it impacted his career as well.
    I echo your thoughts exactly, I've listened closely to my body my whole life and it was screaming at me that it was completely falling apart. The sweats, the vomiting, pain everywhere, and when I started coughing up clear fluid for 3 weeks for no apparent reason, I sincerely thought I was dying a slow death. Naturally depression was at the doorstep. I'm kind of a fitness nut and I've just completed a 1 mile slow jog on the treadmill with no pain.....and I'm ecstatic! (its the little things in life)
    Memory loss is not a rare thing. Even my optician noticed it on my last visit, which was last week.

Do yourself a favor and get off the statins. It can do a great deal of harm.

Closed Thread