It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Don't want to be on statins

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #1
    chestersmom
    (female)

chestersmom HB User
    Angry Don't want to be on statins

Have been reading this board for several weeks--everysince my doctor put me on Zocor about 6 wks. ago. I have had high cholesterol (250 - 300) for probably some 15 yrs. Don't know why after all that time I'm just now being put on meds. As of this week I have had a stroke screening that checks for plaque buildup in carotid artery and in lower extremities. If all goes well (test results in 3 weeks) it would seem to me that I would not need statins. If nothing is wrong after all these years of high cholesterol, it makes me think they are unnecessary. I am 67 yrs. old and in great health other than the cholesterol problem. I am new to this so if anyone has any thoughts, I'd like to hear them. I just have a bad feeling about this drug. My latest chol. test showed total of 305, triglicirides 205, hdh 5l and ldl 205. I know this is high but as stated they have been for years. When my husband was alive his chol. was always below 200 and we always ate at home so diet is not a factor. In fact I cut my saturated fat way down before I started the med. and my total after 2 mo. was actually higher. ?????????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2006, 11:58 PM   #2
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User
    Re: Don't want to be on statins

If your stroke screening goes well..it is unlikely that you need to do anything. Maybe try to lower the trigs a little. Just watch you sugars and carbs. Since you lower your saturated fat, and your numbers actually went up...you are one of the growing number who know that saturated fats aren't the culprit that some lead you to believe. After all, with all the bad press about the southbeach and atkins diet...Duke University did a study, and found that those diets actually did cause people to lose weight, and in spite of the high saturated fat, cholesterol decreased. Saturated fats are different from other fats and are absorbed differently. The statment saturated fat is bad for you just because it is saturated...isn't a good enough answer. People that harp on cholesterol can't have their cake and eat it too...(so to speak). All of the cholesterol tests and trials on women, as found out by the statin study at UCSD, did not increase longevity despite lowering cholesterol with medication in women of any age or any condition. In fact older people with higher cholesterol, even over 300, and higher LDL, actually lived longer and were healtheir than people with lower cholesterol. At your age I might expect plaque just because.....however 50% or 60% blockage shouldn't be a concern because of the tremendous capacity of the arteries.

Last edited by NHone; 12-01-2006 at 11:59 PM.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Mom,

Your numbers are pretty bad. Why are they doing stroke screening? Is that the screening that they are advertising all over the radio waves: "and my doctor said 'IT SAVED YOUR LIFE.' " <God, I dislike medical huckstering on the media; I wish they would STOP...maybe there is hope with the new Congress since Henry Waxman HATES medical advertising.>
    Do you have symptoms of arterial blockage?

A better test, if you've never had one, is a nuclear stress test. That will reveal FAR more about the condition of your CORONARY arteries...they can be diseased while the carotid to the brain or the femoral arteries of the legs can be clean. The femoral and carotid are HUGE and a lot of plaque there can be asymptomatic and only interfere very little with blood flow whereas the very small coronary arteries can completely plug with only a small amount of plaque.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
    chestersmom
    (female)

chestersmom HB User

Lenin, Thanks for your reply. A flyer came to the small hospital where I volunteer and I choose to take the stroke screening, hoping to avoid staying on statins. Your reply was very informative regarding the fact that I might benefit more by the nuclear stress test. I will mention it to my doctor on my follow up (she wanted me to have a check on my liver after two months). I don't know why they don't mention these alternative things you can do before they put you on statins. I have a doctor who is one in a million. She thinks nothing of spending an hour discussing whatever you need to talk about be it personal or medical. In fact she is no longer associated with the hospital as she previously was because they wanted quantity not quality. I think sometimes they just are not up on everything and you just have to be your own advocate. Also, I think some of these tests are not covered by insurance and I had to pay for the stoke screening out of my pocket.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:12 AM   #5
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

IF your doctor is really that caring, I applaud her. You're lucky to have one of the few docotrs who really cares, and is not afraid to learn. I think she would be very interested in the results for the Statin Study at UCSD....also she would be interested in the IMPOSTER study being done at Scripps Mercy Medical Center in San Diego. It seems that many people suffer major muscle damage, despite having normal liver tests. That is what they are studying now

Old 12-03-2006, 02:52 AM   #6
    JonB523
    (male)

JonB523 HB User

Red Yeast Rice does the same thing as statins without the side effects, however, as someone else said, your numbers are ok. there are some schools of thought that say you need to have high cholesterol, you will live longer and wont develope alzheimers. A very low cholesterol reading could mean cancer. I cant understand why doctors are still using statins, isn't there a 'black box' warning on lipitor?

Old 12-03-2006, 04:48 PM   #7
    chestersmom
    (female)

chestersmom HB User

Hi NHone, Just wonder where you get all your information about these studys, etc. I would be very interested in the one about the muscle weakness or pain. I think that scares me more than the liver thing, because they can test for that and the muscle problem can just sneak up on you. I've heard of people that have muscle problems early on and some that have taken statins for years and then have problems. These people that have posted about taking pain relief meds for the muscle problem are either very brave or nuts. There is no way I would stay on something that did that to me. I guess I'd just have to take the risk and hope for a quick death as opposed to being incapaciated for life. So far I have had no problem but as stated before I've only been on these things for about 6 weeks. I have also read that as you age your colesterol level increases so I'm thinking that my 305 total is about the same as my 240-250 several years ago (when I was a young chick of 57 instead of a old crow of 67). I definately will discuss all this with my dr. who by the way is female (a first for me). Thanks for your input.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #8
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

The muscle problems without abnormal liver tests is most reported by the IMPOSTER trial, Dr. Paul Phillips.

Old 12-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #9
    liverock
    (male)

liverock HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JonB523
    there are some schools of thought that say you need to have high cholesterol, you will live longer and wont develope alzheimers
    The latest research in fact shows the opposite, that high cholesterol can be a precurser to Alzheimers. High cholesterol is linked with the EPO4 gene which is also linked with AD. A study last year also showed that high insulin levels increased the formation of amyloid plaque in the brain, the "brain tangles" associated with AD.

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=A bstractPlus&list_uids=16786033&query_hl= 2&itool=pubmed_docsum[/url]

Last edited by Administrator; 02-28-2007 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Do not copy and paste others' info

Old 12-04-2006, 12:22 PM   #10
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Those articles contain the words "thought to be".... Just because they are involved in a similar or same chemical process does not the mean the outcome will be the same... For example take Pfizer and its HDL increasing medication. Merely increasing HDL does not solve the problem at a cost to other chemical processes in the body. You article does say abnormal metabolism as a link....I believe that those are the key words. A doctor at Washington University has found that low metablolism does indeed contribute to heart disease. Again you article does say possible..... but drug companies and doctors have accused cholesterol of causing every ill we have ever know....slowly they find out otherwise....and slowly they crawl back in their hole.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #11
    vipergg22
    Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

The more I see the more I believe messing with the body's natural way of doing things has the potential for real problems . Pfizer just announced that a drug they were working on to raise hdl has been canceled because it was causing too many deaths . It also had a side effect of raising peoples blood pressure . I think the whole key is moderation in everything , try to keep a reasonable weight and things will take care of themselves , of course there will always be exceptions to the rule . But sticking people on cholesterol drugs if they just over somebodys idea of what a level (200) should be for every person is ridiculous .

Old 12-05-2006, 01:44 AM   #12
    chj
    (female)

chj HB User

I completety agree with you vipergg. It is absolutely terrible that some people have lost their lives because of this new drug. It should never have been released. If everybody was striving for a cholesterol of 200, then most would have to be on statins. It does not make any sense to claim we are all genetically the same.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:34 AM   #13
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Good information in that Medline Abstract, thank you.

America's high fat diet is just nutsy and then people go on the high FAT fad diets (Atkins and it's ugly sisters) and DOUBLE this amount order to try to counteract the effect of years of overeating.

If it weren't for the fact that the food industry is such a HUGELY powerful lobby in most countries, the evidence of the dangers of obesity would be FAR more apparent even than it is now.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-05-2006 at 05:47 AM.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:32 AM   #14
    thylantyr
    (male)

thylantyr HB User

>Don't want to be on statins

If I didn't want to be on statin drugs then I would do.

1. Ensure you eat properly.

2. Start with 8 - 10 grams of fish oil for a few months,
    re-test the cholesterol and eventually drop the fish oil
    intake down, maybe 2 grams to 6 grams daily. Fish oil
    comes typically in 1000 mg {1 gram} capsules. I would
    seek quality fish oil, the kind with about 300 mg of EPA
    and 200 mg of DHA. Some fish oil have 400 mg of EPA,
    200 DHA which is good too. Lower cost fish oils may
    only have 180 mg of EPA and 120 mg of DHA so you
    would need to consume more of these vs. the others.

3. Add vitamins and minerals to the regimen.

The first thing you may notice is that the triglycerides
    levels may drop alot, total cholesterol may be slow to
    get the number down, but the LDL will rise because
    it's usually a calculation, ie

Total cholesterol - hdl - (trig / 5)

As you can see by the formula, if you took a statin drug
    that keeps LDL in the normal range, having high trig
    levels makes LDL look sweeter in spite that you have high
    trig. /comedy

If you lower trig {a good thing}, LDL will rise. Therefore
    the trick is to lower total cholesterol also and boost HDL.

Armed with knowledge, you can sorta see the how the
    statin drug 'scam' works. lol

Old 12-05-2006, 11:55 AM   #15
    edkal
    (male)

edkal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chestersmom
    Have been reading this board for several weeks--everysince my doctor put me on Zocor about 6 wks. ago. I have had high cholesterol (250 - 300) for probably some 15 yrs. Don't know why after all that time I'm just now being put on meds. As of this week I have had a stroke screening that checks for plaque buildup in carotid artery and in lower extremities. If all goes well (test results in 3 weeks) it would seem to me that I would not need statins. If nothing is wrong after all these years of high cholesterol, it makes me think they are unnecessary. I am 67 yrs. old and in great health other than the cholesterol problem. I am new to this so if anyone has any thoughts, I'd like to hear them. I just have a bad feeling about this drug. My latest chol. test showed total of 305, triglicirides 205, hdh 5l and ldl 205. I know this is high but as stated they have been for years. When my husband was alive his chol. was always below 200 and we always ate at home so diet is not a factor. In fact I cut my saturated fat way down before I started the med. and my total after 2 mo. was actually higher. ?????????

I agree with some of the posts about your concern. I have had a very long history of high chol., over 40 years now, and I am now 81 and still have high numbers. I was on almost every drug and statins, the last one being Lipitor, until the side effects almost put me out of commission. I am no longer on statins. I also walked around like a zombie hearing things but not responding quickly. I also had a semi mild depression. Nothing mattered, feelings of no purpose of life.

Beware if you experience aching starting in your neck and moving down to your shoulders and into your legs. Memory loss and eye sight are other side effects from these so called "life saving drugs". You can browse this site and see for yourself problems SOME people get from statins.

There are millons who tolerate these drugs with no damage, but if you start feeling the pains I have outlined, stop taking the Zokor, you have the common side effects that can put you in depression very quickly.

Good luck and good health>

Closed Thread