It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Fish oil supplements.....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Fish oil supplements.....

When hubby went to the cardio. man 2 weeks agao, I asked about going on fish oil capsules. He said, fine, about 2 grams a day. He use to tell him to take vitamin E, but now over the last 3 years said no, they are not what they were cracked up to be. Have heard you should take vitamin E with fish oil. Also read a report from AHA that too much fish oil is no good, and anything over 750 mgs. to 1,000 mgs. a day could cause glucose levels in diabetics to rise. Anyone aware of this study, as hubby is diabetic?

When we took fish oil a few years ago, both of us had a rise in LDL, which I heard is normal. I'm a little confused on the good, bad and ugly of fish oil, so any information is greatly appreciated. I bought a small bottle of them for now, but don't wish to overdo on taking them.

Thank you in advance for any input.......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Fish oil suppliments.....

JJ,
    Don;t worry about too much fish oil:
    Quote:
    How much omega-3 should I consume?
    The American Heart Association recommends that people who show no signs of coronary heart disease (CHD) should eat fish — preferably fatty fish — at least twice a week as well as food rich in alpha-linolenic acid, such as flaxseed, canola and soybean oils and walnuts.

People with documented cases of CHD should consume about a gram of EPA and DHA per day, preferably from fatty fish. Getting it from capsule form could be considered in consultation with a physician.

However, people should not consume more than three grams of omega-3 fatty acids, with no more than two grams coming from a dietary supplement.
    That GRAM of EPA and DHA is available with a tsp. of cod liver oil (5 grams) or about 5 big capsules of fish oil. The 2 gram limit would be 10 big gram capsules...and even then the result would be some slight excess blood thinning, or a large supply of Vitamin A and D...not always a bad thing.

There are societies that LIVE on fish and get many times this amount with no harm.

The problem with the American diet is from a huge oversupply of saturated fats and Omega-6 oils...and far too little Omega-3's from fish and Canola and flax.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-17-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: Fish oil supplements.....

Thank you Lenin. Hubby is on so many meds. now, I do not want to push too much on him, as he takes the aspirin plus 3 BP meds., and also 2 for his PN pain. Naturally he is also on Diabetic meds., and something for his prostate.

I think for a start, I'll have him start at the one pill, 1,000 mgs. and see how it goes, as he bleeds easily as it is.

Thanx again, always appreciated......

Old 01-17-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
    edkal
    (male)

edkal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJ View Post
    Thank you Lenin. Hubby is on so many meds. now, I do not want to push too much on him, as he takes the aspirin plus 3 BP meds., and also 2 for his PN pain. Naturally he is also on Diabetic meds., and something for his prostate.

I think for a start, I'll have him start at the one pill, 1,000 mgs. and see how it goes, as he bleeds easily as it is.

Thanx again, always appreciated......
    There is a Omega 3-6-9 fish oil that I have been using with NO after taste as it has a slight LEMON FLAVOR. Never had a burp with oil taste like caps. do. Carlsons Omega is the name of the product I get on the net. board rules restrict me from giving you the site, but you, I'm sure, can find it someplace.

This beats capsules all to heck, and less expensive.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, I have seen it, but for now I did already buy the bottle so will use it up. If it helps, as hubby has high Trigs., although they have come down the last test, I will look into the lemon flavored stuff. Also heard Cod Liver oil is good as well. So far I have taken the ones I got, and don't seem to have any after taste. Oh well, we will see how it goes, but thank you for the info.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:21 AM   #6
    gardeninggal
    (female)

gardeninggal HB User

Hi JJ, I take 3..1200 mg caps. of fish oil and my LDL has not gone up and my glucose has dropped 1 point. but I believe it lowered my triglycerides from 149 to 114 but what it does for our brain as we age and other health benefits makes it so worth it. Check my test results posted today.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Wow, I read your post below of your new numbers..CONGRATS.!!! I tried taking the non flush Niacin, same thing you take, as usual it didn't agree with me, very itchy. I am so stinking sensative to stuff, which only makes it harder for me to do the natural routine, but I'm trying.

Going to stick with the routine I have been doing, as is hubby, and add the fish oil. WE do the oatmeal in the morning with cinnamon, about 1/2 tsp., naturally watch what we eat, even bought ourselves a treadmill for Xmas, and I take the 1,000 mgs. of vitamin C, garlic pills, 1200 mgs., multi vitamin, and calcium. Good grief, my cabinets look like a pharmacy.........

Will have to see how the next test goes, last one for both of us were a tad high, but at least hubby's Trigs. went to about 250, way down from the usual 400 range, so that was a total plus.

Thanx again for the info., and keep up the good work.......

Old 01-18-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
    gardeninggal
    (female)

gardeninggal HB User

JJ, When you say you got itchy from the Niacin are you sure it was the one I mentioned, Inositol Hexanicotinate, because if it just said "Flush Free Niacin" on it that does not mean it is the one I use. I went to my health food store and bought the Flush Free Niacin or so it said on the bottle but when hubby and I took it we definitely got hot flashes and itches and when I looked on the bottle it did not have Inositol Hexanicotinate on it. I took it back and got my money back and went back to the Puritan's Pride one.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, it was the Inositol Hexanicotinate, as I asked the dr. if it was ok to take. I couldn't believe I got the itch from a lousy 100 mgs., sheesh. Hubby's cardio man had tried him on Folic Acid a few years back, and he broke out in small itchy hives,yet I finished the bottle up and had nothing, go figure.

Thanx for doubling checking, I should have been more clear.....

BTW, were you having glucose problems? I noticed you said your's dropped a point. Hubby is diabetic, so we try like crazy to keep his glucose down, even though he is on meds. As you know, last year the Prednizone messed his glucose up badly, to the point of insulin shots for almost 2 months, we do NOT want a repeat. His dr. has lowered the dose on a couple of his meds., BP, and Diabetic meds., so we want to try and keep it that way.

Last edited by JJ; 01-18-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
    gardeninggal
    (female)

gardeninggal HB User

JJ, no I don't have a problem but I keep a check on it since my grandmother was diabetic and my brother who has had a heart attack found out he is diabetic. They think that may have contributed to his attack. I figure I need to be on guard anyway, but even though my numbers run higher, I am still in the okay numbers and try to stay there.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes I hear you. My glucose use to always run around 105-107, last 2 tests it came back 112, that freaked me out some. It's like anything, you definitely have to keep on your toes about everything. Oh well, we do the best we can, and pray to God things stay in check. We use to belong to a gym about 3 years ago, but then it got very expensive, plus it was extremely hard to get a certain machine during the morning hrs., that is why I decided to get a treadmill for Xmas. At least it is something we both can use. Of course we are starting off slow cause not doing it for a couple of years has put us a weee bit out of shape. So far I can do 20-30 minutes each nite, at about 2-2.5, and for now, that will have to do till I work my way up. Oh the joys of getting older, don't lose it!!

Hope things stay well for you, my best wishes......

Old 01-18-2007, 02:56 PM   #12
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJ View Post
    Yes, I have seen it, but for now I did already buy the bottle so will use it up. If it helps, as hubby has high Trigs., although they have come down the last test, I will look into the lemon flavored stuff. Also heard Cod Liver oil is good as well. So far I have taken the ones I got, and don't seem to have any after taste. Oh well, we will see how it goes, but thank you for the info.
    Hi JJ... Fish oil is on sale at walgreens...2 for 1 you can also get a coupon on the net for one dollar off.. Got enough fish oil for 2000 mg per day for 6 months for 15 dollars..... nature's bounty i believe.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #13
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Would you believe that is one store that is not near us? I have a Wal Mart, and alot of times they have good sales, especially on C, so I usually stock up. I'll have to do a search to see where the nearest one is to us. Seems since they took our little mall down 5 years ago, noone seems to be rebuilding around here. Oh well, there has to be one not too far away, so thanx for the tip.......

Closed Thread