It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Cholesterol 318--other numbers poor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
    mackey73
    (male)

mackey73 HB User
    Cholesterol 318--other numbers poor

I'm male, 37, 5'11 165lb, and have had high cholesterol/lipid panel results since I had them measured first, when I was 17.

I DO have other risks for heart disease (smoking, family history). I'm worried that perhaps it's too late to make any difference in any stenoses, etc., caused by my bad lipid panel values; any comments?

I'm loath to go on a statin, because I don't think they're beneficial--I'd rather take a cholesterol "sequestrant," as that approach seems more...natural. My diet isn't stellar, and I could certainly improve it (I once ate fewer than 30g fat a day, and lowered my TC by 30 points in one month).

Anyway, just thought I'd put this out there and see if anyone else is in a similar sitch

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
    liz49
    Inactive
    (female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User
    Re: Cholesterol 318--other numbers poor

I've had high cholesterol since I don;t even know when--I can't even remember when I had it first tested--maybe 7-8 years ago. I was terrified and immediatelty went on Lipitor which made me so weak I could ahrdly hold a pencil, and it didn't really lower any numers significantly, so I went off that, tried Zocor, same side effects, went off that for a bit, tried another one, same side effects and it seemed so STUPID to e takinf a med that made me so I could not function just to get some "numbers" happy for my doc. I started eating oatmeat, everyday & walking. Dropped 100 pts in 2 months. So, although I could certainly stand to lsoe some weight, I have no other risk factors and I am not stresing out about it. My dad dies of Parkinsons 2 years ago with a cholestrol count in the 400's--and the cleanest arteries ever seen. I don't know--I just think it's just such a medical rage thing right now--and the mieds they have out are so toxic.....do what you have to do and you probably could stop smoking, that's the only for sure bad thing (sorry).

Old 01-18-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
    mackey73
    (male)

mackey73 HB User

thanks, liz, you helped to allay my fears, which is why i ever come here, after all. i mean, no sense in adding worry to one's (possible) health problems! i'm going to start walking tomorrow, and i've already started eating oatmeal. i'm going to experimment with cutting out a lot of the sugar in my diet (i love sweets), and TRY for the nth time, to stop smoking! thanks again.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

mackey,

You may have to overcome your loathing and go on a statin anyway.
    A cholesterol in excess of 300 for someone so young and having gone on for 20 years is more than worrisome.
    If you have a rotten family cardiac history and are STILL smoking, your choices are quite limited.

"Natural" is always a wonderful goal but remember the NATURAL course of events is for you to develop heart disease at a very early age. Sometimes UNnatural is better.

Some of us can take statins and achieve remarkably good lipid panels with no side effects at all. It's worth a try: the alternativefor you is fairly grim. You are young enough that if you take action you can reverse your developing heart disease before it becomes symptomatic.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-19-2007 at 07:02 AM.

Closed Thread