It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• High Cholesterol - Zocor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #16
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User
    Re: High Cholesterol - Zocor

First don't tell your doctor you "read it on the internet". They will spit fire, and see a red flag like a bull. You might "suggest" to him, that you want to correct the thyroid problem before you do anything else. If he "acts like a doctor" you might say "that although your numbers are within range (they're not) that they might not be optimal for you. If he doesn't agree... you know how to use a phone book. Low thyroid can mimic symptoms of neuropathy, as can low magnesium. Low magnesium can cause thyroid problems. In fact cholesterol medications state that people with thyroid problems should not use them. I bet you have high anxiety...probably mixed with a little frustration. You have diverticulitis? I do too, and have flare ups sometimes. Avoid foods with seeds.. strawberries, tomatoes (rinse out the seeds). I take one fibercon a day every day, and one generic senecot everyday. It really helps. I haven't had a flareup in 8 months... Don't stress over your problem, that causes colon problems too. Easy for me to say right??? I get angry ever time I have to see the doctor. Just work on the thyroid first... and INSIST on THE FREE T3 test. In fact you might try a homeopathic doctor...they treat thyroid for optimal instead of just in the "range". That doesn't mean you can't go to your other doctor for other medical problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2007, 10:34 AM   #17
    KatieMac
    (female)

KatieMac HB User

Hi! You might also try a DO Doctor of Osteopathy. Mine looks for the cause, stays with meds that don't cause added damage (especially to thyroid), but insurance will pay as out of network once out of network terms are met. She's like MD with the addition of molecular medicine...

Old 04-26-2007, 01:22 PM   #18
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

I go to a D.O. and am especially impressed that he knows how the body works. Their background of bio-chemistry is far superior to most m.d.'s. Many insurance plans have D.O.'s listed, and many practices today have D.O.s in with the m.d.s.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:15 AM   #19
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

i just started seeing this new dr hes internal medicine but by his name is says DO what is a DO dr? i saw him once allready and he was very good he knew i was not within range yet but said my cholesteral was 234 and triglcerides were 315 i take the tricore 145 mg and zocore 20 mg not that i really want too but i do it to stay alive the only thing i read on the pamplet was liver damage but thats if you dont take your meds and if you dont keep your dr appointments my brother also has cholesterol his was way higher then mine he had a mild stroke and hes only 37 so he got scared so he takes his everyday it runs in my family my mother has had high cholesterol for yrs and she dont have heart diases i also have 3 sisters and 2 more brother we all have it .i have never heard of tricore or zocore my 2 sisters take lipator my mom is on caduet but she has high blood pressure also my blood pressure is good it runs like 120/85 to 135/90 at times but most times its normal ever so often if im stressed it goes up.i been on both meds for 1 week so far and i dont feel any side effects .and as for the Diverticulitus im go see a colon dr next thursday may 3rd because i have infection in the pouches dr put me on anti biotic but i need colon test and the reason for this is my dad died from colon cancer and my sister also has it but shes in remission right now been in remission for yrs now ,plus not only that i take 2 metamucils capsels everyday with full glass of water i take one in am and one before bed and i still have trouble i cant stand it i been like this since age 38 only now it got worse its not cancer i dont think its just they want to be sure as it does run in my family i hope they can repair it i heard it can be fixed and i also heard it cant be so i dont know.but as for taking the zocore and tricore before my thyriolds are leveled out why is that dangerous ?and NHOME believe me i hate taking the meds i take now but i feel as though i have no choise and what side effects do you get if you stop taking them i didnt read that yet.and on the zocore im only taking it for 1 month why is that and which meds are for what ? and yes i have the aneity i at times get them terrible panic attacks but i have had thyriold since late jan 2007 thats when i found out and im on my 2nd dose increase i started on levothyroxine 25 mcgs took for 6 weeks then week 7&8 took 2 of the pills made it 50mcgs my tsh was 6.28 then ,dr switched me to synthyrold took 6 weeks my tsh went down to 2.58 i switched back cause it may have said i was within range but my body told me i wasnt then boom it went back up to 7.11 my 1st tsh was 8.45 and as of today im starting to feel somewhat better .
    vickie45

Last edited by vickie45; 04-27-2007 at 05:21 AM.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #20
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Get off of the cholesterol medication until you get your thyroid in order, period! Why? If you've ever taken your car in to a repair shop, and tell them there is a problem (reputable repair shop), they will try one thing and see if that fixes the problem, if not they move to something else. The same way with your thyroid...get it under control, and THEN see if you have other problems. Have your doctor try Armour thyroid. Make sure you have a Free T3 test. I can't believe that you doctor would let you go off of the thyroid medication. It is a Well known fact among cardiologists that low metabolism is a cause of coronary artery disease. ALSO DON"T take that antibiotic for you diverticulitis with a statin, that combination is know to drasticly increase the risk of severe muscle damage.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:37 PM   #21
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KatieMac View Post
    Hi! You might also try a DO Doctor of Osteopathy. Mine looks for the cause, stays with meds that don't cause added damage (especially to thyroid), but insurance will pay as out of network once out of network terms are met. She's like MD with the addition of molecular medicine...
    my new dr is a D.O and hes great i think im only on zocore for 1 month and i may be able to come off the other once my thyriolds level out shouldnt the dr know what hes doing? im feeling better and the 2 tricore or the zocore arent bothering me but i hate taking them but i see my dr on friday and i will tell him my concernes my brother quit taking his meds and ended up with fat in his liver scared him to dealth hes now back on the meds plus went on a diet which i plan to do we are joining the ymca and its only a few blocks down from where i live .

Old 04-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #22
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

I'm telling you again....you should not be on the cholesterol medication until you get your thyroid straightened out. PERIOD!!!! One reason is low thyroid causes low metabolism. With low metabolism, drugs are not metabolized properly and can build up in your system. Low metabolism is also a known cause of CAD (coronary artery disease). Yes doctors SHOULD know what they are doing, however...... Do you know what they call a medical student that graduates LAST in his class? DOCTOR.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:50 PM   #23
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NHOMEguess what my levels must be fine now cause i have tons and tons of energy now as of today i started out feeling great and i still feel great my energy is sky high i cant stop doing stuff i ran 5 miles today too so whats that say and im hardly eating im not as hungry as i was and i never fell asleep once so by how i feel i believe my levels muct be back to normal and if a dr did this cant they be in trouble my dr is a D.O and just 1 visit and he treated me wonderull i only take the zocore for 1 month my cholesterol was 234 the triglcerides were the high ones 315 i am on 145 mg of that i will take them cause my broither got scared after he had a mild stroke and didnt want to take his and he got worse so hes back on his and hes taking the same meds as i do im having no side effects no pain no nothing i feel no different .
    vic.................

Last edited by vickie45; 04-28-2007 at 10:52 PM.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:20 AM   #24
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Do what you want.....sounds like you are going to anyway.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #25
    nuway
    (male)

nuway HB User

BOSTONWNB Thanks for your earlier post.Each to their own.If high dose synthetic statins are working for you thats good keep on trucking.Others though are experiencing problems and should be allowed to express their opinions especially when it could mean taking these drugs for 20 or 30 years.As I said whichever works for you.

Last edited by nuway; 04-29-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:46 AM   #26
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NHone View Post
    Do what you want.....sounds like you are going to anyway.
    NHOME why are you so against taking medications? i have a cousin and brother both who dont like meds but they still take them my cousin says he can cure hisself but he just found out hes diebectic and my brother says he takes his only if he feels like it but he takes them ,he has thyriold his is hyper has high b/p and borderline diebectic both him and my cousin says we dont need any of the meds the drs give us well sometimes we have to take it like the zocore and tricore im taking i have no choise i could end up with stroke or heart attack and as for my thyriold levels my dr should know what hes doing shouldnt he? im feeling better so my levels must be getting pretty well within the normal range i see him on friday may 4th .and so far im not having any type of side effects and my 2 sisters and mom all take lipator with no effects either....
    vic

Last edited by vickie45; 05-02-2007 at 04:49 AM.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #27
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
    why are you so against taking medications?
    Hi,

I don't think it's always a matter of being either in favor of or against the meds.

I have conflicting feelings about the medications that stem from personal experience. While my attitude has always been anti-drug, I'll admit they proved to be real life-savers for me. Unfortunately, I have to resign myself to the fact that they have become such an integral and indispensible part of my life. There are really bad side-effects to contend with, which make it difficult to get through each and every day. Given a choice, I would stay away from any pharmaceutical products made in labs.

P.S. I just read that Rx drugs are reported to be the fourth leading cause of death in the USA (adverse reactions due to properly administered drugs). This from a book about making informed medical decisions. (Don't know how well documented this is.)

Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 05-02-2007 at 10:21 AM.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #28
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Vickie I am not against medications. I do think statins and cholesterol lowering medications are WAY over prescribed. Flowergirl is exactly right on the deaths caused by interactions of medications that were given per doctors orders. This was published in JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association). Those deaths are over 100,000 per year. Maybe your doctor is good, maybe he isn't. By the deaths somebody's doctor wasn't so good. What I told you before still stands.....YOU should not be on cholesterol lowering medication until you get your thyroid under control. Tis is a fact that EVERY DOCTOR should know. It is not just my opinion. I have told you why in other posts on this site. You will most likely have to take thyroid medication for the rest of your life.... some people don't, but it is rare. Your doctor is trying to treat too many symptoms at one time, with too many medications. The thyroid could be your problem period. Many people are under the impression if they get their cholesterol number into the desired "numbers"....they are fixed. It doesn't work that way.... Cholesterol medications are not like antibiotics that work in 10 or so days. (just as plaque didn't just appear over night) What your doctor is giving you is against even the hand out sheets that come with cholesterol medication. Again I am not against medications.... however I am against doctors like yours who don't treat thyroid conditions like yours which are far more serious than cholesterol problems, and which could be the main cause of the high cholesterol. You might feel good or even better... but that doesn't mean you are. You thyroid is far more a factor in artery disease (hypothyroid) than the cholesterol. It is causing slow metabolism and that is and HAS been know to be a factor in coronary artery disease. In fact many of the people who are only treated for cholesterol indeed have low or slow metabolism. Doctors frequently fail to treat this, but push cholesterol medications. Unfortunately with statin medications you can have severe muscle damage even before you feel a problem, or before it shows up on blood tests (if it ever shows up on blood tests). If you entire family is having problems...i would check you diet.... If you eat a lot of sugar and flour (carbs) this can have a real impact on you cholesterol and blood glucose (diabetes).

Old 05-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #29
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NHOME so if i stop taking the zocore and tricore would it hurt me? i dont really like them anyway but they told me something about heart attack and stroke well the meds im taking now zocore or tricore is causing arm pain plus my thyriold meds arent working as well as they should be do you know of some other way to help me lower my cholesterol and triglcerides? i dont really like taking any of the meds i take but i dont know what else to do i see my dr friday and to be honest i wish i can throw them all away my 1st dr who wouldnt even check my thyriolds put me on anti depressents and i had so many bad side effects plus try going off them is the worst so if i have only been taking the zocore and tricore since april 24th would it hurt to stop taking them ?and do you know of any natural stuff to take and my cholesterol was 234 and triglceriders were 315 so are those numbers very high ???

Last edited by vickie45; 05-02-2007 at 07:46 PM.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #30
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

First give us you numbers again on your cholesterol. Then give me your numbers again on the thyroid. From the numbers you gave before you thyroid seems to be out of control (hypothyroid). Getting your thyroid should be your first thing to do. (JUST the thyroid). then you need to see what problems are let over after that. It might take several tries to get your medication to control your thyroid properly. Thyroid can cause a lot of problems. They can be high cholesterol, and also depression. It can affect your triglycerides. Your body depends on metabolism and yours is not working properly. If you are having arm pain it could be from the statins and tricor, which in themselves is not a good combination. I won't make a statement that you would not have a heart attack or stroke, but anyone one of us could have a heart attack or stroke at any time. If you've had the cholesterol and trig problem for a while....stopping the medication while you get the thyroid under control should not affect anything. In fact with the hypothyroid problem those drugs are probably building up medications up in your system. I would do this...... 1. stop taking the zocor and tricor NOW! 2. Make sure your doctor has a correct thyroid test done, and that INCLUDES a FREE T3....make sure YOU tell him you want a FREE T3. 3. IF he argues with you about the zocor and the Tricor.....tell him he can look it up on lexi-comp online. 4. Tell him you prefer to get the thyroid problem under control before you do anything else. Its that simple......FIX THE THYROID....you might be on thyroid medication the rest of your life....or maybe not... But at most its a couple little pills a day. Since the thyroid affects many things in the body, you might not need any other medications. In the mean time, watch your diet. Cut down on sugar...it is listed on the label of foods under TOTAL CARBS. Cut down on foods that use flour.....You can also try cinnamon capsules or even a 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon per day...that should help with your sugar/trig problem. Many of the people that post on here have excellent advice on diet. Your trigs should be under 150....

Closed Thread