It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• High Cholesterol - Zocor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2007, 05:13 AM   #31
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
    Re: High Cholesterol - Zocor

ok i will post my lab test from back mar 2006 till now .
    not sure what they are but here they are :
    sodium-142
    potassiam-4.3
    chloride-105
    co2-28
    glocose-94
    bun-11
    creatinine0.9
    calcium-9.6
    fsh-50.0
    tsh-2.738
    free t4 -1.32

ok that was last march 2006 right after sugery
    ok now jan 2007 tsh 8.45
    tt4-8.1
    tt3- 1.3 he didnt run a cholesterol unless you tell me what it says for cholesterol
    feb 2007
    tsh-6.28
    ft4- 0.9
    march 2007
    tsh-2.58
    ft4-1.2
    ok now heres my last labs
    cholesterol-234
    triglcerides 315
    it says risk factor 6.2 what does that mean?
    ok now my tsh -7.11
    ft4-0.9
    i guess he didnt run a tt3 but when i called his office they said he tested everything and all my tt3 and 4 are normal but the t3 isnt on the paper .\
    now im also waiting for a lab to see if im in menpause or not my gyn in feb 2007 said i wasnt but i beed having crying spells and depression but i was told thyriold can do this too im not having any hotness or nightsweats .
    NHOME can you tell what all this means here im not taking another tricore or zocore till he regulates my thyriolds im on 75mcgs i have refills of the 25mcgs of levothyroxine would it hurt for me to up my dose just by taking 1 extra pill of the 25mcgs to give me more energy i started the 75mcgs on sat on monday i felt good my energy was back and everything now im back to being tired again and no energy. but please let me know about all the labs i posted .also i was just told by my gyn that iam now starting menopause.
    THANKS VIC.............

Last edited by vickie45; 05-03-2007 at 08:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #32
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Even though I don't agree with doctors sometimes, I would never increase my dosage with out their ok. He needs you on a consistent dosage to see how to regulate your thyroid. You still need a FREE T3. Don't leave that office without it. The newest standard for TSH according to the ACCE (American Association of Clinical Endocronologists) is .3 to 3.0. Many times this is still not optimal for people and they need less than 2. Even then some people need less than the .3, it depends on their FREE T3 and if their symptoms are still present. You can still have symptoms of hypothyroid and have your numbers fall in the "so-called" normal range. Many doctors, in fact, still use the old .5 - 5 or 6. (this has been outdated for years), but so have many doctors. It has been found that people with higher TSH have higher homocystine. Since this can be a marker for heart disease, you would think doctors would pay more attention to thyroid BEFORE they just randomly prescribe statins or any cholesterol lowering medication. (as it says on the statin hand out sheets) Your TSH is high and that can cause numerous problems, including tiredness and depression. The way you thyroid numbers seem to bounce around, you could have a failing thyroid. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Don't worry, medication can correct it. Only a couple little pills per day. It is best to split the dosage to take 2 times per day instead of 1. Most doctors won't prescribe it that way. But T3 has a short life, and can wear off by the next dosage. If you have low Free T3 , synthroid will not help, you will need Armour thyroid, or one that has Free T3. You can find more information if you would look up hypothyroid.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #33
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Exclamation Re: High Cholesterol - Zocor

NHOME i took the tricore 145 mg and the zocore 20 mg for 12 days and thats the same time he upped my levothyroxine to 75mcgs and ever since then my left upper arm has been hurting on friday may 4th he told me to stop the 2 meds but stay on the thyriold meds and he wants me to be retested for my tsh on may 17th which would be 5 weeks instead of the 6 but so far my arm still hurts im taking advill for the pain it comes and goes it dont stay but im also having severe dizziness and headachs just like i felt when i first got thyriold only then it was 8.45 i ask them friday if they checked my t3 they said they did but it wasnt on the copy i got from the lab im not sure what to do if i call his office they get mad they told me on friday i call to much i never heard of a dr telling you this if a patient is scared and they need to know stuff they should tell you they said if you feel that bad make a appointment im starting to believe drs are only out to get your money this dr does seem to help but why dont he know what he should know like you said treat my thyriolds first when i ask him that he said it was because my triglerides were very high and at a danger point and my hubby knows i come to the health boards and he took me and told the dr i saw stuff on the computer so now the dr thinks i said all i said because of something i heard on here i told my hubby why did you tell him that next time hes waiting out in the waiting area the reason he takes me is because i have loss of balance several times a weeks and hes afraid for me to drive .but now im worried about my arm but too scared to call and tell the dr could the arm pain be my cholesterol or thyriolds? im also having tingling in my toes and fingers do you know what that could be ????..............vic

Old 05-05-2007, 11:26 PM   #34
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

The tingling could be from your thyroid....and it could be from the cholesterol medication, but it could be from something else. Yes, your trigs should be lower....but you still need to get that thyroid under control first. I hate when doctors think you are bothering them. Have you ever had a waiter or waitress act like they are bothering you? Well, those doctors are employed by you whether they like it or not. YOU are the reason that take home all that cash. You might consider shopping around for a new doctor. If the T3 isn't on the copy from the lab, they didn't check it. You can be sure of that, because they can only charge for the tests on the report. you WANT a FREE T3 test also... make sure you say FREE T3.....this is different from Total T3. Even if you hubby "spilled the beans" about you coming to the health boards.... don't be upset. Maybe now he knows you do your homework. I know from my mother starting on thyroid medication, that it took her a while to get used to it. If you keep having problems...I would call them again and tell them.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #35
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NHOME right now alls i feel is the upper left arm pain other then that i feel ok but i think my thyriolds are a bit low still cause i am dizzy alot and have severe headachs and im taking the advill but the pain comes and goes and yes thats what i thought too that drs wouldnt be mad if you call well i will stay with him to see if he does his job if he dont off i go again im at the point where i think you cant find good drs anymore after all we are the ones paying the bill but i will wait to see what my tsh says this time my energy is coming back but i have loss of balance and i think thats from the thyriolds , but i will let you know as soon as i get my tsh done and i see the dr on the 18th of may ,i will keep you posted.
    VIC

Old 05-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #36
    edkal
    (male)

edkal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CASSIEBEL;2***362
    I was on Zocor for several years (about 5 or 6) with no side effects at all. Then I started getting leg cramps. I stopped the Zocor and they went away.
    Trouble is my cholesterol went from 171 to 283. My Doc then had me try a low dose of Crestor. after 1 month my cholesterol went back down to 170.

The leg cramps have come back now and I'm really upset. I believe in Cholesrol lowering meds. I believe they are life savers and I don't want to stop the Crestor. Diet and exercise don't help me much.

Does anyone know what the long term effects of leg cramps are? If they aren't life threating I will live with them and continue with Crestor.

I appreciate any feed back on this matter.
    \

You are now reading true side effects of leg pain that first started in my shoulders and then to my arms, thighs, and calfs. Was at first diagnosed with PMR and put on Prednisone ( NASTYSTEROIDS ) was on it for over two years with mild relief, but still pain. I put up with the pain and steriods looking for relief,which never came. In time it became so severe that I could not stan up straight and walk for hours until I could walk in a up straight positon. The pain now started from both my buttocks, thighs, calves, lots of pain. X RAYS showed no Sciatica. Now despeate, I went to my V A Dr. and he thought my muscles were the problem because he knew on my problem of Statin side effects, and prescribed a muclle relaxer as the first attactand after two weeks of this med. I can get up in the AM - stand up straight walking. I do some mild streching of the legs in the AM which really gets me going.

I almost gave up all hope of being what I call normal, and feel like I have new life again.

The Statins, was on all of them, in the past 40 years caught up with me and nearlly destroyed me and my life. Just two weeks ago I started Zetia and to date tolerate them. Down the road my blood test will show how well it lowers my Chlo, which was 330 two weeks ago. I have a history of high Chlo. now for over 45 years and still here, so I gues I must be doing somethig right.

Note ---- With Lipitor and all before that nevr had reading below 220 but once !!!

Hope this helps.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #37
    Gooney
    Inactive
    (male)

Gooney HB User

Well,first let me say beware of "...Boston..."-ian type plants or "ringers" from drug companies issuing what amounts to publicity releases on these or any boards claiming that any type of medicine is wonderful for all people. As you can see in this thread they typically resort to name calling in an attempt to broadly paint all who experience problems (and have nothing to gain by making them public) as irrelevant.

My own experience with 10 mg Lipitor numbed and froze my legs and arms to the point I could barely unwrap my fingers from any position they were placed in - such as around the steering wheel. This was after 9 months. I sat at my desk staring into space 8 hours a day unable to concentrate on or think of anything. Fortunately I first realized this problem could be caused by statins after reading it on the internet. (When I went back to the doctor he said he was taking it and had no problems when it was first noticed and not yet as devastating as it ended up).

After reading about the effects on the net and stopping on my own, most symptoms were greatly relieved after 3 or 4 weeks. A year later I seemed normal.

Changed docs after swearing never again for statins. New doc (4 years later) finally got me to retry statins. He pointed out there were two kinds - natural based and synthetic which were each processed in a different part of the liver. So he said Lescol was synthetic and persuaded me to try 20 mg. No problems after six months and lower but not acceptable chol levels. Tried 40 mg. Slightly better but not good enough. Then Lescol XL 80 mg. Still no problems 18 months later and chol levels all OK now. I'm confused since I did read on the net Lescol is not synthetic but it's not causing a problem so I'm not pursuing that matter.

I still worry, started taking COQ10 for the heck of it. So far so good with LDL at 98. Trying Niacin 2x 500mg daily to see if it helps HDL which is on lower edge of OK.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #38
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

If you read information on studies on Lescol and the others of that class, they had absolutely no effect what-so-ever on any thing but the numbers. They were considered an absolute waste of time and money. Even though I hate statins, they do contain an anti-inflammatory portion, that is most likely what is causing (the very small amount) of help in very selected groups. It is now know that statins are causing lipid accumulation in the muscle fiber (cells). THis is not good. Statin therapy is now know to induce ultrastructural damage in skeletal muscle in patients without myalgia (pain). These tests were done through muscle biopsy. (Journal of Pathology, 2006) Why hasn't this been shown before? Because they never tested damage at the cellular level, and statins were doing exactly what they were supposed to do, lower cholesterol.(whether right or wrong). You would also be amazed at the choleserol medications that were to go in for final FDA approval, but were pulled at the last minute. (Avasimibe and Pactimibe) Pfizer was the company with Avasimibe. When it was pulled, they said they were disappointed but they were counting on their new star...the medication that raised HDL. We know that star elploded also. In a way the people that have pain from statins are fortunate. My mother did not, and the doctors would never equate the severe weakness with statins. Be VERY scared if you are taking channel blockers with statins...they are KNOWN to raise serum concentrations of statins anywhere from 2.5 to 10 times. (and that is at a lower does than most people take calcium channel blockers). Gooney I think you would appreciate reading about Dr. Dave Graveline, a NASA doctor. He had very similar problems to yours. He has now written several books on cholesterol lowering. (the dangers).

Old 05-12-2007, 09:22 PM   #39
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

QUOTE]Be VERY scared if you are taking channel blockers with statins...they are KNOWN to raise serum concentrations of statins anywhere from 2.5 to 10 times. (and that is at a lower does than most people take calcium channel blockers). [/QUOTE]

Hi,

how do I find out more about this to take to my doctor? I am on 7 meds total, including CCBs. Something's got to give. I am sick enough from all of the side effects and drug interactions and certainly don't need to add to my drug induced existing problems!

Thanks,
    Overmedicated Flowergirl

Old 05-12-2007, 11:08 PM   #40
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

You can find this information if you look up adverse effects of Diltiazem and statins, or diltiazem and statins, or potentially fatal interactions between diltiazem and statins. Diltiazem is a generic of a certain calcium channel blockers. If you doctor has access to Lexi-comp online, he can look it up here under interactions. Its funny that when i was looking this u for you I found another report in Medscape. It seems that Atorvastatin significantly enhanced the oral exposure of diltiazem in rats (2007). This i didn't know, and i couldn't find any previous reports of this. But then again...no one ever checked!! Diltiazem works on the same pathway that grapefruit juice does. CYP 450 3A4.

Closed Thread