It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• High Cholesterol - Zocor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
    roachbug
    (female)

roachbug HB User
    High Cholesterol - Zocor

Has anyone experienced bad side effects from taking Zocor such as pain/numbness in hands and feet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User
    Re: High Cholesterol - Zocor

That is a serious effect of cholesterol lowering with medication. If you're lucky the problem will go away if you stoop the cholesterol medication. The longer you stay on it, the higher the chance that the problem will be permanent.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
    Bostonwnb
    (male)

Bostonwnb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roachbug View Post
    Has anyone experienced bad side effects from taking Zocor such as pain/numbness in hands and feet?
    I've been on 20mg Zocor for about a year now: zero side-effects. Don't believe everything you read on the 'net, and that goes doubly for the self-appointed statin nannies (one or two in particular) who repeat the same old bogus doom and gloom stories every day.

Last edited by Bostonwnb; 03-28-2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: grammatical error

Old 03-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

I was on Zocor for several years (about 5 or 6) with no side effects at all. Then I started getting leg cramps. I stopped the Zocor and they went away.
    Trouble is my cholesterol went from 171 to 283. My Doc then had me try a low dose of Crestor. after 1 month my cholesterol went back down to 170.

The leg cramps have come back now and I'm really upset. I believe in Cholesrol lowering meds. I believe they are life savers and I don't want to stop the Crestor. Diet and exercise don't help me much.

Does anyone know what the long term effects of leg cramps are? If they aren't life threating I will live with them and continue with Crestor.

I appreciate any feed back on this matter.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
    Lulubells
    Veteran
    (female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

Bostonwnb.... I would be careful of who I am calling names as you could be joining us so called " self-appointed statin nannies " one day....... read their own web sights list of side effects or the one that came with your statin drug.. this one is called "Peripheral Neuropathy"... It is a common side effect that a lot of us have and rather you believe it or not, for some of us, quitting the drug does not end the problem and it IS listed as a side effect.

roachbug, yes, that is a very common side effect and as I said, it does not always go away when you quit the drug. I have been off of it since July of 2006 and my feet are constantly letting me know they are still effected although the real intense tingeling/itching seems to be letting up. the swelling/lumps are still there and haven't changed. My hands tingled like crazy but soon as I got off of the stuff, that stopped but it had just started doing it in my hands. I was in my 6th year of them when I got off and although I didn't realize it was the statin drug, I was having that swelling/lumps on my feet right away along with a whole lot of other problems.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

I might be one of the doom and gloom people of statins and cholesterol lowering by medication, but I have done my research and so have many other people. Until the drug companies stop their "bogus" reports of "rare" side effects, someone has to be out their fighting for the health of people not knowledgeable in the function of cholesterol. Side effects are not just temporary, they can become permanent. Again no study at anytime on women of any condition, has shown that cholesterol lowering by medication has increased longevity. In fact while there were fewer heart attacks, in the statin groups cancer numbers went up sharply. The cancer continued to increase in that group even after 4 years off of statins. Again, you shouldn't believe everything on the net...this includes "edited" reports of the wonders of statins.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

NHone, I take your warnings seriously. Which types of cancer were reported?
    Cass

Old 04-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
    Bostonwnb
    (male)

Bostonwnb HB User

It is not difficult to find supporting ‘evidence’ for even the most extreme views about cholesterol – such as that it does not matter one iota even if your body is practically swimming in it. You don’t even have to look very hard. There are kooks and charlatans in every walk of life and every field of science. I would rather take my advice about cholesterol – and the appropriate role for statins in reducing it – from the mainstream medical establishment, than from wild-eyed internet alarmists who would blame statins for every ill under the sun, if they could.

Statin critics conveniently overlook the beneficial outcome of statin therapy for hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people all over the world, to focus practically exclusively on side-effects suffered by a small minority of patients.

Where is the balance? For the vast majority of statin recipients, the drugs are extremely effective and highly beneficial.

You would never know that, if all you had to go on was the information on this board. All I see here are the same few people repeating themselves about the dangers of statin usage. Most recently, there was a claim that statin usage is associated with increase in cancer.

This is contrary to what I have found with even the most cursory scan for information. It appears that in addition to their role in lowering cholesterol, statins are beneficial in many other ways.

New research shows that statin drugs may cut a person's chance of developing breast, prostate, and lung tumors in half.

Researchers reported that people who took cholesterol-lowering statin drugs for five years cut their colon cancer risk in half, even when they had a family history of the disease or other risk factors.

The use of statins, rather than other cholesterol-lowering agents, significantly reduced the incidence of prostate cancer in the population-based Finnish Prostate Cancer Screening (FPCS) trial.

Statins also appear to reduce the incidence of heart disease in people who have other risk factors - even if their cholesterol levels are normal. In a recent study, patients receiving statins were found to be more than a third less likely to have heart attacks and more than a quarter less likely to suffer from strokes. Researchers stopped the trial early so the control group could benefit from the drug.

Let's try to keep this in perspective: statins may not be the best drug in the world, but its usage is not going to affect every single user in a harmful manner. Many people benefit from it greatly and without major side-effects.

Last edited by Bostonwnb; 04-07-2007 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Grammatical error

Old 04-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
    Mark1e
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bostonwnb View Post
    ..... I would rather take my ..... from the mainstream medical establishment .....
    Been there, done that. And it was a dismal failure. In the treatment of both epilepsy and T1 diabetes. It was only by going against medical advice that I was able to get on top of both conditions. So I won't be going the "mainstream" route again if I can possibly help it.

I like to think that, in general my body knows what is best for it. And the drug-pushers out there (mainstream medicine) haven't convinced me that statins will help it do a better job. The credibility of "mainstream" medicine is seriously suspect, because of big money-driven vested interests. Most of the research you see out there is just a part of the well oiled big-pharma public relations machine. Be careful that you are not taken in by it.

We need to use doctors as consultants when make our own rational decisions. I have no doubt that statins reduce cholesterol. But we really need to be asking the questions : why are our bodies making so much cholesterol in the first place, and is using drugs to reduce it really neccessary?

What makes you think that, for example, members of THINCS (The International Network of Cholesterol Sceptics) are "kooks and chalatans"? If you look beyond the boundaries of drug-pushing rhetoric, you will find interesting insights that could change your perspective.

Mark

Old 04-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #10
    KatieMac
    (female)

KatieMac HB User

I had the neuropathy issue. I was given Zocor when I had a stent implanted (genetic vessel closure, minimal plaque per angiogram). Cholesterol under 150, but triglycerides were sky high 400+. Although I have MS and some numbness/tingling, new symptoms came up with the Zocor. I asked my GP doctor and he told me "don't worry, when you get liver disease I'll treat you for that, too." Well, I don't go to him any more. New cardiologist said I probably only needed the Zocor for a year after the stent, so I quit and symptoms disappeared. I cleared up systemic Candida and my triglycerides dropped to low normal.

There is an author I like Doug Kaufmann that links many things with Candida /fungus and the related mycotoxin byproducts. Statin drugs are antifungals. Some interesting reading and sensible dietary/supplements steps you can take yourself. My cardiologist asked what I did about triglycerides but didn't agree about the candida connection. He DID say, though, to keep doing what I was doing since it seemed to be working.

I guess each of us just needs to find what works on an individual basis...

Old 04-17-2007, 06:51 AM   #11
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I've been on Lipitor for 9 years without any noticeable extra joint or muscle pains after the first 10 days...to keep my My LDL cholesterol level is in the 60's.
    I've even added niacin the last couple years to keep my HDL over 40.
    I am in better health and have a higher exercise capacity in spite of heart disease .

My partner has taken simvastatin for 7 years and remains extremely active in spite of creeping years...the most active elserly person I have ever met.

Muscle and joint pain are consequences of waving goodlye to the half-century mark, always HAS been and always WILL be. Jetttisoning life-saving drugs at the first sign of leg cramps seems a poor choice to me.
    Even IF some joint pain is caused by statins, given the choice, who wouldn't accept some leg pain in exchange for SOME Heart Attacks? To paraphrase Judge Judy: "A heart attack is FOREVER!"

Anyone who looks at the results of thousands upon thousands of people-studies will come to the conclusion that statins are saving lives and slowing if not eliminating heart disease. Of course, you can always use an anecdote like "My great aunt Fanny took statins and got run over by a schoolbus" as your info source. You can probably even read sillier anecdotes on the web.

I will also venture a guess that some of these "self-appointed statin nannies" will go running for a prescription after the first signs of THEIR heart disease...and also out will go the silly palaver about all the animal fats we "need." Perhaps a statin hater can best be defined as somebody who has never experoenced heart disease in themselves or any close friends or relatives.
    Closely watch just ONE PERSON die of this scourge, and then statins all of a sudden look FAR less scary.

Well said Boston.

Last edited by Lenin; 04-17-2007 at 07:30 AM.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #12
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

AS a statin "hater" maybe it is because we have seen first hand what statins can do to a person. It might also be because we understand why the body needs cholesterol and how the body uses it. It might also be because the medical profession tells you there are rare side effects from statins and they will go away when you discontinue them. As far as stains being life saving...it has never been shown in any study anywhere, that statins increase longevity in women....statins have been shown to be of minimal help in middle aged men. Statins will always be scary to some of us...and what is even scarier is that people either don't understand how statins interupt the mevalonate pathway or they listen to people who pretend that this pathway in the body is of "no use" in the body except to interupt it to lower cholesterol.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:53 AM   #13
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
    Question Re: High Cholesterol - Zocor

i all i just found out my cholestral level is 234 my triglcerides are 315 my dr put me on 145 mg of tricore and 20 mg zocore the zocore for 1 month the tricore i have 3 more refills i also have thyriod disoder my tsh is high its 7.11 my dr knows all about my thyriods so im hoping i can get my stuff lowered cause im only 44 and i dont want to die of a stroke or heart attack so does anyone here know why he put me on 2 different meds ? so far i dont feel nothing but i just started 2 days ago but for awhile now my toes were tingling alot was this a symton? and i ask my dr to check my cholestral and he did my old gp i ask many many times to check my thyriolds and he wouldnt by the time i found out i had thyriold my tsh was 8.45......vic

Old 04-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #14
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

As I told someone else, you must get the thyroid in order before you EVEN ATTEMPT to treat high cholesterol. The tingling could be the start of a dangerous condition know to statins and cholesterol lowering. It is reversible if caught in time. A liver test does not always indicate even severe muscle damage.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:30 PM   #15
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NHone View Post
    As I told someone else, you must get the thyroid in order before you EVEN ATTEMPT to treat high cholesterol. The tingling could be the start of a dangerous condition know to statins and cholesterol lowering. It is reversible if caught in time. A liver test does not always indicate even severe muscle damage.
    nhome, why would my dr put me on these meds when he knew my tsh levels? he got my tsh first then my cholestral and triglcerides how dangers is this and the tingling in my toes has been happening way before i took the test but in sept i did start having fainting spells i dont have them as much but gp told me it was high aneity so now im scared what should i do ????? my internal medicine dr knew all about my tsh levels when he put me on these 2 meds plus i also have div i have to talk to a colon dr on may 3rd ,so please tell me what to do i dont want to call and bug my dr about what i read on the internet my last gp dr told me dont believe everything you read on the internet.
    vickie45......

Closed Thread