It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• HOw to reduce LDL & TG

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2007, 12:12 AM   #1
    Venkateshr
    (male)

Venkateshr HB User
    HOw to reduce LDL & TG

Hi ,
    Recently I took blood test & I was alarmed by the results as my triglyceride level (TG) rocketed to 600mg/dl (recommended is <150) and my cholesterol is 230 and recommended is <150 OR <200 .Another upset is lowering of my HDL from 40 to 34.
    Now I got up from the coffin and took up the challenge of reducing TG & reduce LDL & increase HDL.Now I am going hard on oil & fried foods (virtually 0 ) and started taking garlic more & more.
    I dont take meat & non-veg.Dont smoke & drink.

I have heard that taking curd(yoghurt) will increase TG does that mean milk consumption also increases TG ? . I take 3-4 cups of milk(tea) daily.

I take cod liver oil for HDL but also take garlic for LDL & TG reduction. My doubt is whether garlic will reduce HDL also along with LDL (as it is believed to reduce cholesterol).

what all I should do to win the challenge soon ?
    Please advise on this.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: HOw to reduce LDL & TG

Quote:
    Now I got up from the coffin and took up the challenge
    I LOVE that phrase, Venkateshr.

What you describe, very high triglycerides and low HDL are characteristic of something called METABOLIC SYNDROME also called SYNDROME X. Read up on the two conditions and see if it fits you.
    There is a strong genetic component to this condition and it is often tied to storage of abdominal fat (round body,) obesity, and poor glucose utilization including diabetes and unfortunately, heart disease.

Triglycerides can be lowered somewhat by eating fewer sweets and alcohol (but I see the latter isn't your problem.)

Niacin is useful for raising HDL.
    There are several drugs aimed at triglycerides.

Yoghurt shouldn't be much of a problem...less so if it's made from low fat milk.

Closed Thread