It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Niacin - Flushing?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
    marinewife12
    Inactive
    (female)

marinewife12 HB User
    Niacin - Flushing?

Has anyone taken Niacin for high cholesterol? It's not a medication, it's a perscription vitamin (which sounds weird).

My husband and I are trying to conceive, so my Dr. didn't want to put me on cholesterol meds, because obviously that is counterproductive. So he put me on this vitamin, as the books say you can safely conceive while taking it. It's not supposed to lower cholesterol very much, but it helps make a dent in the problem.

The worst part about this vitamin is that it causes flushing. In other words, my whole body (not just my face) turns bright red and starts tingling and I get overheated. I take the pill with supper, so it's not because of an empty stomach. But the flushing doesn't start until about 3 or 4am. It actually wakes me up, is very painful and sends me into a bit of a hysterical fit trying to cool myself down.

Eventually it subsides, after about an hour. This is after covering myself with cool washclothes or jump in the bathtub full of cool water. But I still am somewhat overheated throughout the day, with a slight fever and constantly wanting to just sit in ice. But that hour at night where it's the most painful is the part I'm most concerned about.

Has anyone taken this vitamin? And if so, was there any way that you found to combat the flushing problem? I already take the pill on a full stomach, and I take it at night. But it's still so bad that it actually wakes me up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
    edkal
    (male)

edkal HB User
    Re: Niacin - Flushing?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marinewife12 View Post
    Has anyone taken Niacin for high cholesterol? It's not a medication, it's a perscription vitamin (which sounds weird).

My husband and I are trying to conceive, so my Dr. didn't want to put me on cholesterol meds, because obviously that is counterproductive. So he put me on this vitamin, as the books say you can safely conceive while taking it. It's not supposed to lower cholesterol very much, but it helps make a dent in the problem.

The worst part about this vitamin is that it causes flushing. In other words, my whole body (not just my face) turns bright red and starts tingling and I get overheated. I take the pill with supper, so it's not because of an empty stomach. But the flushing doesn't start until about 3 or 4am. It actually wakes me up, is very painful and sends me into a bit of a hysterical fit trying to cool myself down.

I was given Naispan ( prec. Niacin ) told to take it in at bed

Eventually it subsides, after about an hour. This is after covering myself with cool washclothes or jump in the bathtub full of cool water. But I still am somewhat overheated throughout the day, with a slight fever and constantly wanting to just sit in ice. But that hour at night where it's the most painful is the part I'm most concerned about.

Has anyone taken this vitamin? And if so, was there any way that you found to combat the flushing problem? I already take the pill on a full stomach, and I take it at night. But it's still so bad that it actually wakes me up.

I was given Naispan ( presc. Niacin ) told to take it in at bed time but am on a trial of Zetia. However I have read that taking aspirin can help with the flushing. There is also a Frush Free Niiacin that can be purchased on line or over the counter at many stores. You can take the same amount of Mg's that equal your prescription. That may work better for you.

I have taken Flush Free with no adverse FLUSH effects.

Better luck in getting pregnant.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:12 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

marinewife,

What you describe sounds like a not common flushing response with one of the slow release formulations like Niaspan. I take mine (extended release-500 mg.) at bedtime and it's almost NEVER a problem, but if for some reason I awaken in the miiddle of the night and STAY awake, sometimes the flush bothers me a lot. I take mine with 650 mg. aspirin.

REGULAR niacin (nicotinic acid) is very quickly absorbed and for this product the flush can be murderous and it usually starts in less than a half hour and goes on for an UNBEARABLE 20 minutes or so.

Niacin's usefulness seems limited only to those who need an HDL boost, it is really pretty useless for LDL or triglyceride control.

Practically speaking, why not take 1/2 the pill and see if the flushing still wakes you...if it does, give the pills to a needy friend.

Some people SAY you can build up your tolerance...I have tried and found that it is impossible for me.

<If you flush with Niaspan, don't EVER try plain vitamin store niacin in anything over 100 mg.. You'll wish you had a loaded gun at hand!. >

Last edited by Lenin; 05-21-2007 at 06:14 AM.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
    Mr. Detail
    Inactive
    (male)

Mr. Detail HB User

marinewife12;

I take Niacin in the form known as "inositol hexanicotinate" which relieves most flushing. So far I have been able to take up to 1,000 mg each at night before bed and in the morning with no trouble. Try to find the brand "NOW"
    of this type of niacin. This company has the GMP seal (Good manufacturing practices) for quality assurance. I think I am allowed to speak of the brand just not where to buy it it.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
    babygirl127
    (female)

babygirl127 HB Userbabygirl127 HB User

I am glad someone posted about this. After I get my numbers checked again in July the doctor said if my numbers didn't improve that was another option. But just my LDL & Total were high so taking Niacin does not really help? My HDL & TriG. are good. But I hate to take something that will make me sweat to death especially starting it in the summer.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

babygirl,

With good HDL levels, niacin is a waste of money and effort.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-23-2007 at 06:35 AM.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
    babygirl127
    (female)

babygirl127 HB Userbabygirl127 HB User

Thanks, why do I need to take something that will not help. My HDL is 61 that is considered good am I correct?

Old 05-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
    acp44
    Inactive
    (male)

acp44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Detail View Post
    marinewife12;

I take Niacin in the form known as "inositol hexanicotinate" which relieves most flushing. So far I have been able to take up to 1,000 mg each at night before bed and in the morning with no trouble. Try to find the brand "NOW"
    of this type of niacin. This company has the GMP seal (Good manufacturing practices) for quality assurance. I think I am allowed to speak of the brand just not where to buy it it.
    Mr. Detail:

Is it your impression this form of niacin works? I too am taking 1000-1500 mg as I cannot tolerate flushing. My HDL has been steadily dropping from a great 72 5 years ago to 50 this year, and I am desperately trying to raise it.

acp

Old 05-27-2007, 05:33 AM   #9
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marinewife12 View Post
    My husband and I are trying to conceive, so my Dr. didn't want to put me on cholesterol meds, because obviously that is counterproductive. So he put me on this vitamin, as the books say you can safely conceive while taking it..
    I found a couple of sites that indicate this is NOT so, in fact an Australian birthing site says that megadosing with niacin in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy CAN cause birth defects. The U.S. Physicians Desk Reference calls for an upper limit of 20 mg. during pregnancy. Mayo Cklinic says no niacin during pregnancy or breastfeeding,

I would err on the side of caution and recommend you take NOTHING until you are in mid pregnancy or beyond, if even then. There's too much at stake.

Last edited by Lenin; 05-27-2007 at 05:35 AM.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:06 PM   #10
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Personally... I would not worry about your cholesterol while you are trying to get pregnant, or while you are pregnant, or while you are nursing. It's not that important to risk the development of your baby. I've had high cholesterol for 15 years now.

It is important to try to get your cholesterol under control, but it's not like you will die from it in two years if you do nothing. It's a life-long undertaking.

I'd blow off the meds if I were trying to start a family. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #11
    Jemac
    (male)

Jemac HB User

My doctor recommended niacin for me, due to my numbers being out of wack. I bought niacin and started taking it.

The face flushing started, so I broke the tablet in half and took the other half 1/2 hour later, and all was fine....(so I thought).

After 5 days, I started to go wacky, my head got fuzzy, a constant headache started, and I went to bed 3-4 times a day. I was going bonkers. I couldn't believe that a vitamin (B3) could be causing this problem, because, after all, it is only a vitamin.....

I stopped the B3, and my problems went away. I waited a week and tried the B3 once again. It took only 3 days for the symptoms to come back.

The B3 (niacin) is out of my life for good.

That's my story about niacin.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

I'd try prescription Niaspan and see how that works for you before you disregard niacin altogether. I'm taking 3000 mg of Niaspan (niacin) a day without any ill side effects.

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 06-11-2007 at 09:17 AM.

Closed Thread