It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Statin rebound?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2007, 05:21 AM   #1
    micky501
    (female)

micky501 HB User
    Thumbs up Statin rebound?

Has anyone heard of statin rebound? I have heard that going off statins are not that easy once you have been on them. I take Crestor 5mg. and have done well along with diet. My LDL went from 179 to 83. My total Cholesterol is 169. I often wonder if I will be able to eventually ween off the statin. I always question the fact that what if my cholesterol goes too low.

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-06-2007 at 09:54 AM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
    Lulubells
    Veteran
    (female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User
    Re: Statin rebound?

I got off of statins after being on them for about 6 years. You have to slowly wean yourself off over about a 3 week period but my side effects were so bad while on them that I only did a week of 1/2 a dose and stopped them altogether.

My cholesterol went from around the 160's on statins (and feeling like a 150 year old) to 253 off and judging by how much better I feel, I will KEEP my numbers where they are!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

mickey,

THere is no such thing as statin "rebound" but what is very likely is that your levels will return to the levels that you had before taking them. They won't be worse unless you are eating more poorly. But they won't be any better either.

Your LDL of 83 certainly isn't too low but if you want it higher then you can always split the pill in half and take 2.5 mg. Crestor.

If your LDL was 179 before the Crestor, there seems to be little good reason to want to wean off the Crestor unless it gives you problems.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:14 AM   #4
    micky501
    (female)

micky501 HB User

Thanks for your reply Lenin. I changed my user name by the way from micky501. Anyway I am ok taking the Crestor long term. The first thing my dr did after prescribing the Crestor is told me to take CoQ10 daily. I suspected she chose the 5mg dose as she was looking at the long term picture. We tried Niaspan and I had to use such a large dose that I started getting gastric reflux and stomach problems, and my numbers did not improve. Of course, she told me I needed to get serious about this and gave me a weight goal to shoot for. I am very close to my weight loss goal after losing 60 pounds
    I take 300 mg of CoQ10 daily and have had no adverse affects from the Crestor. I am ok with taking it long term. I like how my numbers have improved.
    Michelle

Last edited by micky501; 06-17-2007 at 07:16 AM. Reason: incomplete sentence.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:08 AM   #5
    MyOMy
    (female)

MyOMy HB User

Can I ask why your dr. recommended CoQ10? My husband just stated taking that about a week ago, he takes Simvistatin 40mg,and 1000mg of niaspan for cholesterol. He has been having shoulder pain and we attribute it to the statin,even though the cardiologist and regular dr. say they doubt it. He was on crestor or lipitor 4 years ago, and went off of it because of shoulder pain, and the pain went away. (Go figure) anway now his nails are starting to turn yellow. By the way, I was raised in Elysburg, I frequented the Frackville mall regularly in my younger days.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
    micky501
    (female)

micky501 HB User
    Smile Re: Statin rebound?

The CoQ10 is supposed to replace the enzyme that is lost while taking the statin. It supposedly helps aleviate the adverse effects like muscle problems that statins can cause. Honestly, I did not know initially why the doc recommended it, but did the research and found out that this is why. I am pretty fortunate that my PCP is up on things and recommended this. I developed LRF when I took Niaspan. I also gained weight nor could I lose weight. The flushing was not too unbearable, but it took a toll on my stomach.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:00 AM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

There are claims, though largely unproven, that taking CoQ10 mitigates the chances of muscle pain when taking a statin.
    There is no DOWNSIDE to taking CoQ10 except the price: as supplements go it is fairly $$pricey$$.
    So anyone who has muscle pain while on statins should give it a try.
    I'm still waiting for the first person to post that he's on statins, developed muscle pain, and then added CoQ10 and the pain went away.

I took it for a couple years (first 100 mg./day then 50 mg.), then stopped...no difference either way. Just found another bottle of 50's in the back of the closet and I'm taking one every second day; no sense throwing them away.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:33 AM   #8
    micky501
    (female)

micky501 HB User

Somwhere I did read where someone added CoQ10 300mg to their regemine and felt better. Anyway, I must agree that depending on the brand you use, and where you purchase them, they can get expensive. I try to catch the buy one get one free deals. I take the lowest dose of a statin. I am not sure how proven that taking the CoQ10 actually is either.

Closed Thread