It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• yellow fingernails? Lenin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
    MyOMy
    (female)

MyOMy HB User
    yellow fingernails? Lenin?

Lenin, I have been reading these boards for several years, and you seem fairly knowledgeable, especially on certain topics. I posted a few weeks ago about my husband having right shoulder pain and statins possibly being the cause. He has since been to the family dr. twice, and received 2 different opinions. The first said it was a muscle strain, and prescribed pain pills, the pills did nothing to help, He went back 2 weeks later, the 2nd dr. said that she thought it was tendonitis or arthritis. She wanted him to start physical therapy. He has 2 calls into the cardiologist, and she says that she does not believe it is the simvistatin. He was taking 80mg, a few weeks ago, he cut it down to 40mg, at the cardiologists suggestion. He started taking niaspan the end of March, 500mg, and in the beginning of May he started taking 1000mg, and that is about the time the shoulder pain started. This past Thursday he started noticing his fingernails are turning yellow. What do we do? None of the doctors believe it is the statin. I continue to believe all this is related to the statin and niaspan. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: yellow fingernails? Lenin?

MyOMy,

That's a tough one. Of course the USUAL casues of yellow nails are smoking or fungus infection but these creep up slowly and over a long time.
    My first thought is yellowing UNDER the nails that might be a hepatitis/liver problem...he should have a liver panel blood test run. Either niacin or simvastatin can cause his liver to shut down and cause jaundice. His EYES would also show the yellow and his urine would turn coffee dark. With clear eyes and light urine, you can rule out liverr damage/jaundice as a cause.

Medline (U.S. government) shows a picture and mentions lung disorders, lymphedema <are his ankles swelling> and detatching nails. Click on the the two "yellow nail" images:
    [url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003247.htm[/url]

It probably isn't actually the nails turning color or it would have been apparent as they grew in yellow from bottom to top...more likely the nail BED.

You can try stopping one drug or the other and observe symptoms for a month.

Like I said, it's a tough one...and so is shoulder pain.

Last edited by Lenin; 06-17-2007 at 05:17 AM.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
    MyOMy
    (female)

MyOMy HB User

Thanks for the reply. I guess it is actually the nail bed turning yellow, and not the nail, my mistake, and its not all of the nail beds either. He had the liver function test done two weeks ago, and it was normal. He said his urine is light colored, and his eyes are not yellow. just this dang right shoulder pain,and now the nails. We are headed to California on a long awaited vacation in 4 weeks and would hate to get out there and have something crop up. His last cholesterol was 93 for total overall his good was 27,that is what he is trying to get above 40. Thanks again for the reply, we just don't know where to turn.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
    Mark1e
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyOMy View Post
    .... None of the doctors believe it is the statin. I continue to believe all this is related to the statin and niaspan. Any suggestions?
    The only way you will know for sure is to stop the statin for a while and see what happens. If the statin is causing the problem, he should feel relief very quickly. Total cholesterol of 93 is very low, anyway.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
    MyOMy
    (female)

MyOMy HB User

The cardiologist wants his total cholesterol below 100 because he has had 2 slight heart attacks. Thanks again for both your replies.

Closed Thread