It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• anyone experience side effects from lovastatin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
    grinchydizz
    (female)

grinchydizz HB User
    anyone experience side effects from lovastatin?

I am trying a new medicine, lovastatin, because the first one, prevastatin, caused me to become very fatigued and weak, I have only took two doses of the new medicine, and already I feel the same. Should I stop the medicine? or is muscle weakness a side effect that may go away? just wondering, I told my doctor how I feel, and he just wants me to keep switching the medicines, next one he wants me to try is lipitor...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
    jp39
    (male)

jp39 HB User
    Re: anyone experience side effects from lovastatin?

I have been on lovastatin (Mevacor) for 9 months with no side effects. It is the weakest of the statin family since it has been around 20 years.

Zocor (simvastatin), Lipitor, and Crestor are much stronger than lovastatin. My guess is that you will probaly have similar side effects with any statin. I would not take these drugs if I had muscle weakness. That "rare but serious side effect" is much more common than the companies will admit.

You might consider Zetia which is non statin but it has its side effects as well.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by grinchydizz View Post
    Should I stop the medicine? or is muscle weakness a side effect that may go away?

Grinchydizz,

It's unusual for you to have weakness after only a few doses - but chronic muscle weakness is a well known side-effect of statins. I had it with Lipitor - but only after many years, and then only after it was combined with Tricor.

Do you have any unexplained, chronic muscle pain while on statins - that can indicate serious statin related problems... Also, did your muscle weakness and fatigue go away after stopping the first statin? If so, I'd say they're related.

You may be one who cannot tolerate statins. I agree with the posts above - you probably will have the same problem with the stronger statins.

Were you taking CoQ10 from the start of your statin therapy? It may help prevent further muscle weakness - but there is no definitive study indicating it can stop or cure statin-induced muscle problems. I take about 75mg/day - I'm back on statins for about 6 months now - and so far - no muscle pains or weakness...

HubbleRules

Old 06-30-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
    Gooney
    Inactive
    (male)

Gooney HB User

My body had locked up on 10 mg Lipitor after 9 months as though rigormortis had set in. I stayed away for 5 years. My current doc convinced me to try a different type of statin. There are natural, and synthetics. They are processed in different parts of the liver. I tried Lescol, it is weaker, and it took the 80 mg Lescol XL dose to get my LDL down to 99. So far no problems whatsoever but I am taking CoQ10 for the heck - and rumor - of it.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:33 AM   #5
    kossi
    (female)

kossi HB User

I am on Crestor nearly one whole year and I did not experience any side effects with it. In fact I was on lipitor before which gave stomach pain.
    Now my cholesterol has been reduced by 20% and this is a very significant improvement.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
    Mr. Detail
    Inactive
    (male)

Mr. Detail HB User

HubbleRules;
    Could you please tell me what statin you are presently taking? I am alot like yourself in that I am prescription drug adverse and may have to go on a statin sometime soon.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
    grinchydizz
    (female)

grinchydizz HB User

hello, thanks for all the replies. You know, know I dont know if the muscle weakness was from the statins, or something else, is there a blood test I can take to see if I was having a reaction to the medicine? I have a lot of health issues, so I thinking maybe its just something else. What is this non-statin medicine? I was under the impression that only statins can lower cholesterol....

Old 07-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #8
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

There are a number of non-statin meds available.

Lopid - Fibrates
    Welchol - Bile binder
    Zetia - Fat binder
    Niacin - Cholesterol inhibitor

Old 07-09-2007, 04:40 AM   #9
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
    You know, know I dont know if the muscle weakness was from the statins, or something else, is there a blood test I can take to see if I was having a reaction to the medicine?
    Yes there is. It's called CPK or creatine phosphokinase. It is not definitive BUT if it is withing normal limits it is almost impossible that you are sustaining actual muscle DAMAGE from the drug.

I wouldn't make too much of "weakness" after 2 days on a drug...there are just too many other events in life that are fatiguing (this NorthEast HEAT WAVE for one!) Try the lovastain a little while longer before you make any call, grinchy. Often statins cause effects in the first week or 2 that never recur. They are two important a drug class to risk tossing at the first indication of discomfort. If you really CANNOT take them, then there are other weaker measures you can take.
    If you CANNOT take lovastain or prevastatin you almost certainly will NOT be able to go near Lipitor, Zocor or Crestor.

What dose lovastatin are you taking? Is your fatigue abating after, what, 2 weeks now?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:29 AM   #10
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Pravachol was the most tolerable statin for me. It's not as strong as the other statins, but studies have shown pravachol to reduce changes of a heart attack... and the ingrediants are not synthetic... they are derived natually.

I have noticed that trial study results show that synthetic Meds tend to have a lot more side effects than non synthetic Meds.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #11
    grinchydizz
    (female)

grinchydizz HB User

HI, I was actually on prevastatin for almost two months, stopped for a while, then the doc tried me on the lovastatin. It probably isnt the statins, because even though I still feel weak, its not as bad since I stopped. I will request that test though, just to make sure. thanks!

Closed Thread