It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Question about Fish Oil Vitamin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #1
    annmg
    (female)

annmg HB User
    Question about Fish Oil Vitamin

Does any one know how much of this vitamin one should take? I've been reading a lot about cholesterol and what I have read says that this is real good for high cholesterol. I went to the store yesterday, and the only one they had was 1000 mg. That sounded like a lot to me, so I did not buy it. Is there any side effects with this vitamin if you take to much (mg's)? Thanks for all your help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User
    Re: Question about Fish Oil Vitamin

Annmg,

I believe you are referring to Omega-3 Fish Oil...

If so, you want to check what the total of EPA + DHA is in each capsule. You want to get at least 1000mg of these 2 combined - which probably means you need to take a couple of pills daily.

Fish oil is supposed to help with cholesterol - raising HDL and lowering LDL - but I never got a significant benefit from it. My doctor told me I'd have to take at least 6 capsules daily of the brand I take (Puritan Pride's Super Omega-3) to have a cholesterol lowering effect. By the way, if you don't take enough fish oil, it may actually raise your LDL - but I still think that the benefits (lowers inflammation, good for the heart and brain) outweigh any effects from the LDL increase. I still take 2 capsules daily (total 1000mg EPA+DHA).

There are some pharmaceutical grade brands of Fish Oil (Omacron or Rescue 1250 for example) that contain good amounts of EPA + DHA - and you have to take 3-4 capsules daily for it to help.

HubbleRules

Old 07-23-2007, 04:18 AM   #3
    annmg
    (female)

annmg HB User

Thanks for all your information, I really appreciate it !!

Old 07-23-2007, 06:27 AM   #4
    hotdam
    Veteran
    (female)

hotdam HB User

I have been taking the Fish Oil with Omega 3 for months, the doc told me to take 3 capsules before going to bed everyday. He said it works better at night. Hope this helps.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
    take 3 capsules before going to bed everyday. He said it works better at night.
    I take mine in the morning. Did your doctor explain why it's better taken at night?

Old 07-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
    hotdam
    Veteran
    (female)

hotdam HB User

something to do with it helping to lower cholesterol while you sleep, I cant remember the term he used I am brain dead today. I will find out and let you know.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:19 AM   #7
    annmg
    (female)

annmg HB User

When you say take 3 pill before going to bed (or in the morning)...is that 3, 1000mg which means 3000mg total?

Old 07-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotdam View Post
    something to do with it helping to lower cholesterol while you sleep, I cant remember the term he used I am brain dead today. I will find out and let you know.

My understanding is that the liver produces the vast majority of cholesterol while you are sleeping.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:51 AM   #9
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

annmg,

Yes, It usually takes 3,000, 4,000, or 5,000 mg. of fish oil to give you the 1000 mg. EPA + DHA that you want. Depends on the manuffacturinfg technique.

For plain cod liver oil, it takes a tsp....5 grams.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:55 AM   #10
    hotdam
    Veteran
    (female)

hotdam HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VentureMan View Post
    My understanding is that the liver produces the vast majority of cholesterol while you are sleeping.
    Yes that is what my Doc told me, and Anna yes take 3 1000mg before bed.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:31 PM   #11
    Canyondweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

My Doctor told me that it was not that effective except for high triglycerides which I don't have. He is not one to prescribe meds lightly but he does want me to try Vytorin mostly because of my bad cholesteral being high. So far I have resisted. Maybe I will give in one day but he said exercise, diet were important but genes had a bigger influence which is why he precribed the meds as he knows I eat a really low fat diet.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:17 AM   #12
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Vytorin is a very good drug combo.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:51 AM   #13
    boubou
    (female)

boubou HB User

So to clarify dosage, should I take 2X 1000 mg fish oil per day or more?

Old 08-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #14
    hotdam
    Veteran
    (female)

hotdam HB User

I take 3 1000 mg at night before bed everynight.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:43 AM   #15
    EasterBunny
    (female)

EasterBunny HB User

Hello,
    Normally, 3 x 1,000 mgs. tablets are suggested before bedtime. Flaxseed oil tabs (the same # and mg amount) are also known to reduce high blood pressure and help with triglycerides.
    Some other more natural approaches you might want to try within your dietary regimen would be raw garlic in your salads or taking daily garlic supplements. One after breakfast after dinner. I also use garlic in a lot of my cooking. No, I'm not Italian, but I enjoy the flavor it gives to certain foods, as well as the good things I know it's doing for everyone's bodies.
    Another good gambit of veggies are raw cucumbers, carrots and fresh parsley. They make a terrific, fresh tasting salad and all three are natural diuretics and are known to help with high blood pressure. Cucumbers are also high in potassium (as are bananas and avocados - but diabetics and folks with clogged arteries might have to avoid these goodies) which positively effects our electrolytes and helps stabilize our moods.
    Cayenne pepper is also known as a terrific blood pressure stabilizer. I sometimes sprinkle it on my salads or make a tea out of it (1/4 to 1/2 tsp. in cup of warm water and then zap in the microwave). it'll also do wonders for your throat and nasal passages. Another good tea suggested for high blood pressure is golden seal. Just follow the directions on the back of the tincture bottle. I sweeten mine with honey, but if you're allergic to bees or pollen or a diabetic, you can make a milder blend of the tea.
    Of course, like most good doctor's of heart patients suggest, you should not smoke or drink and need to try to eliminate salt and red meat from your diet. Daily exercise and periods of deep relaxation are also very helpful. AMy motto is everything in moderation, and only if you're not allergic to it and have run it by your doctor.
    I also do deep breathing exercises if I'm feeling stressed out. Of course, I normally wait until everyone else has left the room. Otherwise, they're likely to think that I'm either crazy or portraying a giant wind bag - ha ! I also occasionally do deep breathing exercises at night in bed, just to relax my body and help to ensure a good night's sleep.
    Good Luck,

EasterBunny

Closed Thread