It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Raising HDL with Niacin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
    Arizona77
    (male)

Arizona77 HB User
    Raising HDL with Niacin

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in the forum but have a question in ways to raise my
    HDL. As of my last test my
    Total cholesterol was 137,
    LDL 75
    HDL 35

For cholesterol I currently take Red Yeast Rice 1,200 mg twice a day
    Lecithin 1,200mg twice a day
    Fish Oil 2,000mg twice a day

My diet is very healthy and I do cardio 30mins four days a week.

I was wounding if I could add 500mg Niacin to help boost my HDL?

Also if I should add Niacin I heard time released can be harsh on your liver?

I am not sure if I can take Niacin as I am in Red Yeast rice being a natural stain?

Just want to boost my HDL before I get checked six months from now.

Thank you all in advanced

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
    Re: Raising HDL with Niacin

Hello Arizona77,

I don't know why you are even bothering with the red yeast rice. Your total cholesterol is not even close to being high. In fact, it's rather low. However, I do agree that you should try to raise the HDL. Niacin should help. I know it has helped me. The best form of niacin to use for raising HDL is the immediate-release form, not the time-release. Plus, it's easier on the liver. Try taking 250mg four times a day, for a total of 1000mg. However, you may want to start with a lower dose if you have problems tolerating it, then gradually increase the dosage. Personally, if I were you, I would forget about the red yeast rice for now, and just focus on increasing the HDL with niacin.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

If you have insurance... ask you Doctor for a prescription os Niaspan... it's extended release and is not known to to cause liver problems for most... and reduces significantly any flushing...

Old 08-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
    Arizona77
    (male)

Arizona77 HB User

Thanks for all of your responses. I am going to add 500mg of Niacin and see what happens. Can I continue to take Red yeast Rice with the Niacin? Thank you all again in advanced.

Last edited by Arizona77; 08-19-2007 at 07:08 PM.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
    Arizona77
    (male)

Arizona77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ARIZONA73 View Post
    Hello Arizona77,

I don't know why you are even bothering with the red yeast rice. Your total cholesterol is not even close to being high. In fact, it's rather low. However, I do agree that you should try to raise the HDL. Niacin should help. I know it has helped me. The best form of niacin to use for raising HDL is the immediate-release form, not the time-release. Plus, it's easier on the liver. Try taking 250mg four times a day, for a total of 1000mg. However, you may want to start with a lower dose if you have problems tolerating it, then gradually increase the dosage. Personally, if I were you, I would forget about the red yeast rice for now, and just focus on increasing the HDL with niacin.
    Hi Arizona73,

I am thinking of stopping the Red Yeast rice and taking 500mg Niacin twice daily. Is this also effective in lowering LDL and TRIG. My LDL and TRIG are great now but I really want to raise my HDL. How much has the Niacin increased your HDL?

Old 08-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Hi Arizona77,

As far as triglycerides are concerned, I think the best thing that you can do is to cut back on your carbohydrate intake.

For lowering LDL, a time-release niacin is probably best. For increasing HDL, an immediate-release niacin is better.

In my case, I may be somewhat of an anomaly. My HDL was never very low, always in the 60s. But since I've started taking niacin religiously (for some 20 years already), my HDL is now over 100! Of course, in addition to niacin, I've also been taking a lot of other supplements as well.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:56 PM   #7
    Arizona77
    (male)

Arizona77 HB User

Hi Arizona73!

Wow your HDL is over 100!!! I can see why you use Niacin. I want to add 500mg non time released twice a day. I take other supplements as well. Right now for cholesterol I take Red yeast Rice 1,200mg twice a day. Very good brought my LDL down to 76 and TRIG 83. Also I take Fish oil, lecithin, kyolic aged garlic extract and drink lots of Green Tea. I want to continue on the Red Yeast Rice though. Or should I drop the Red Yeast Rice and substitute Niacin? Thanks again for your reply.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:17 AM   #8
    Lutheran122
    Inactive
    (male)

Lutheran122 HB User

Is there anyway to take fish oil supplements and not have to suffer the aftertaste?

Old 08-23-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

AZ77... your numbers are fantastic... and you have a ratio of 2:1... I'd just keep on your current regimine and leave it at that.

I really would obsess any further. I could only wish for your numbers... T-C at 135...? Fantastic!

Old 08-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
    Arizona77
    (male)

Arizona77 HB User

Hi Venturman,

I fully agree with you. I am going to make no changes. I have been on my current regamin for the past two years and has worked great for me.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:15 AM   #11
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Lutheran,

Quote:
    Is there anyway to take fish oil supplements and not have to suffer the aftertaste?
    I've been taking mine for nine months now and have not had a problem with aftertaste. Do you take them with or right after a meal? That's what I do. Also, swallow the capsules whole. I don't know how some people manage to consume fish oils by the teaspoon/tablespoon. The taste must be awful. And the smell even worse.....thank goodness for capsules! In any case, Omega 3's are (in my opinion) the best and most beneficial supplement one can take for cardiovascular purposes. More and more doctors now recommend them for heart health. Whatever you do, do not stop taking yours, unless you are prepared to eat wild salmon and/or sardines instead of supplements every day.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:32 PM   #12
    Arizona77
    (male)

Arizona77 HB User

I went to see my Doctor today and he is took me off the Red Yeast Rice and switched me to Niacin 500mg non time released twice a day. I took 500mg this evening for the first time and I had the typical Niacin side effects for about 2 hours. How long does it typically take for ones body to adjust with these side effects? I know they are harmless but was just wondering how many weeks it typically takes for side effects to not be so intense. I am going to give it more time until I reach my 1,000mg day dosage.

Last edited by Arizona77; 08-27-2007 at 08:24 PM.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:58 PM   #13
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Gosh... if you have insurance, ask him to prescribe Niaspan. Way better. I couldn't get over 200 mg of regular niacin without painful flushing... but I handle 3000 mg niaspan just fine.

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 08-27-2007 at 09:21 PM.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #14
    Arizona77
    (male)

Arizona77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VentureMan View Post
    Gosh... if you have insurance, ask him to prescribe Niaspan. Way better. I couldn't get over 200 mg of regular niacin... but I hadle 3000 mg niacin just fine.
    Hi Ventureman,

I am going to see my Doctor next week and will defiantly ask him about prescribing Niaspan.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:26 AM   #15
    Lutheran122
    Inactive
    (male)

Lutheran122 HB User

I do 500mg 2 times a day of the non flush niacin. I also take Lipitor too...

Closed Thread