It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• What to eat to lower cholesterol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
    Susan4650
    (female)

Susan4650 HB User
    What to eat to lower cholesterol

I am new to the boards. I am 51, female, have high blood pressure & hypothyroidism, both regulated by medicine. My triglycerides are too high & I am unable to take statins. My new doctor wants me to stop taking WelChol because my cholesterol numbers keep getting worse & wants me to start on another statin (Crestor). I've had bad muscle reactions to Vytorin & Lipitor so I'm assuming Crestor will do the same thing. She told me to change my diet BUT didn't give me a diet. I would like to be given a list of foods that are good for lowering cholestorol as well as a DO NOT eat list. I would appreciate any & all help. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
    boubou
    (female)

boubou HB User
    Re: What to eat to lower cholesterol

I'm no expert but my numbers spiraled down after watching my diet and taking Red Yeast Rice.
    My diet: no red meat, saussages, pork etc...
    only fish and poultry.
    I've had eggs but no yolk, otmeal, walnut butter, whole wheat everything, becel, olive oil, olive, legumes (hummus is really nice!), no transfat! no cookies etc...you know what not to eat , lots of fruits and veggies but if your triglycerides are high, watch the fruits too, two a day is enough I think.
    hummm, red wine, no cheese, skim milk which I prefer, I drink at least 1 V8 a day. Aim for 5 to 9 fruits and veggies a day.
    I know it's not easy but if you really are serious about this, then it won't be so bad.
    Hope that helps.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Diet usually has little effect on cholesterol... but...

triglycerides are best controlled by eliminating alcohol and sugar, and eating foods low in carbs such as veggies (no carrots or other high carb veggie)... and no fruit except berries.

Have you tried or considered prescription Niaspan...? It's great at lowering TG's and raising HDL... and for some, prettty darn good at lowering LDL.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
    Red60
    Veteran
    (male)

Red60 HB User

You've asked a very good question and entire books have been written on the subject. I think the first step to be sucessful with a healthy diet it to change your thinking about food. Think about food in terms of nutritional value. Look up different foods and see what the health benifits of different foods are. You'll be suprised at what you might find. I'll give you the basics of what I've found to work for me. I'm always learning more and refining my diet.

These are the ones to eliminate.

Trans Fat
    All types of Hydrogenated Fat
    High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFC)
    Refined grains
    Refined sugars
    Processed meats

All wheat and wheat products
    (I know this will sound odd but try it for 30 days prior to your next lipids check and I think you'll be convinced)

I probably left something off this short list but just these things will help. It's also a bit more difficult to do than you might think. I can't think of many products you can eat that come from a box or can that don't have these items in them.

Now things to eat.

Veggies lots of raw dark greens (limit veg high in starch)

Nuts (avoid those that are roasted and salted I personally eat a lot off raw almonds soaked and then dried with low heat)

Oily Fish (my 1ST choice is sockeye salmon 3-4 week)

Fruits (berries are the best)

Eggs (high omega 3s or free range)

Oats (use the old fashion oats not instant)

Limit your intake of animal meat other than fish to 5-7 4 once servings per week. I eat mostly grilled skinless chicken breast, lean beef maybe once a week.

Basicly eat food that is as natural as possible. Cut back the carbs and focus on eating lots of veggies and low GI fruits.
    Fats are ok just try to eat health fats and not go overboard with the animal fat. Eating this way reduced my TGs from the mid 200s to 74, raised my HDL 25% and dropped my LDL from low 140s to the mid 120s on my most recent check. I also lost some pounds and dropped my BP a little more than 10%.

Last edited by Red60; 09-26-2007 at 05:49 PM.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
    Clem52
    (female)

Clem52 HB User

After my doc threatened me with statins to get my cholesterol down, I read a book (can the title be mentioned here?) about lowering cholesterol and followed most of the recommendations. It was quite a bit like Red just gave you, with a few other items:

It is said that saturated fat has much more to do with serum cholesterol than dietary cholesterol does. But if you have familial high cholesterol it's probably going to be difficult to get it totally normal with diet and exercise alone. Sorry.

I agree, keep the processed stuff to a minimum. That includes sweetners.
    I eat meat 3-4 times a week (a lot less than before), salmon at least one of those.
    Reduce saturated fats to 7% or less of total calories. Total fat no more than 30%, 20-25% is good, but I don't know how that might affect you over the long term (as in many years).
    Eliminate most refined sugar--although I do have a small serving of sorbet every day.
    Whole grain stuff whenever possible. And lots of veggies and fruit.
    Canola or olive oil only.
    I ate oatmeal every day for 4 months, but am trying to go back to my fav routine of yogurt with fruit and "crunchy nuggets".
    Increase fiber. 25 grams a day. (Love those cardboardy crackers!)

I dropped my cholesterol 55 points in 5 months. It was pretty drastic at first, but now I totally love my diet, and no statins! Sheesh, after looking at the side effects there's no way!

One more thing--I upped my exercise to about 30 min a day, or the equivalent in 3-4 workouts a week. I wasn't all that excited about that part of it, but it's OK, I found something I can live with and my daughter now works out with me. Andn the gym is probably cheaper than statins and a bunch of doctor appts!

Good luck!

Old 09-26-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

There is no way you are going to eat correctly the rest of your life... no way!

So... you now have to consider meds... of consider none at all. Personally, I would consider non at all over taking statins... Statins will screw you totally for sure.

I'm lucky to be able to take Niaspan (niacin) without any side effects. Maybe you can too. Try it.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:37 AM   #7
    ccaj
    (male)

ccaj HB User

I would take seriously my eating habits. Omega-3 fatty acids, and green tea might be helpful. The link below shows some useful information on how control cholesterol.

[removed]

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-27-2007 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
    Red60
    Veteran
    (male)

Red60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VentureMan View Post
    There is no way you are going to eat correctly the rest of your life... no way!
    I do understand where your comming from with this but I think you can do it if you make it a priority. Sure a person will indulge a little every now and then but if your eating right 95-99% of the time I think you'll see significant benifit. For myself I am very comfortable with my present diet and have no problem pushing away from the poisons. I think I've actually brainwashed myself into thinking of most of the foods I've quit eating as poison and that's why I do not feel deprived. The biggest problem is with people who twist your arm to eat something they feel is special. I found the best way to deal with it was put it on your plate tell them how wonderful it is and dump it in the trash when they're not looking. The foods seem to be very easy for me but smoking and sodas are my vises and I've yet to be able to overcome them. I haven't tried to quit smoking for many years but come Oct 1st I'm going to give it my best shot. Hopefully I will be successfull and begin to clear another poison from my body. After that I'll work on the soda poison.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:54 AM   #9
    boubou
    (female)

boubou HB User

Ventureman: I'm not sure I agree that one's choice of heating healthy for life is unattainable. Personally, I've flushed out all bad food from my diet for the last 2 months and am very glad about it. In the past, I tried to limit these food intakes but since finding out that my cholesterol was 320, this gave me the incentive to turn things around. As previously posted, my numbers have gone down to 144.35 in only 2 months. Yes, I took RYR but my doctor and naturopath both agree that the supplement alone did not make it go down this much. The naturopath wants me off them completely eventually. We are monitoring numbers. I will not go back to eating poorly, I don't even crave these foods (well, sometimes I do but don't cheat).
    My secret is eat 5 meals a day. oatmeal with cinamon in the morning, fruit or veggie snack, salad or sandwich for lunch (tomatoe or tuna or almond butter, anything good), snack in the afternoon, light dinner. I haven't had red meat, I now eat veggie burgers which are delicious. There are several alternative to the bad foods available, we just have to be aware. I made a wonderful spagetti sauce with extra lean ground turkey. I made chilli with the same. There are lots of receipes out there. I think my diet is normal now and won't go back. We can even have pizza, there is veggie pepperoni and cheese out there, whole weat crust etc...
    I've also lost 17 lbs and that is not from starving, far from it...just change of diet.
    I also exercise regularly, a walk with my dog and 30 min cardio with some light weight lifting.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red60 View Post
    The foods seem to be very easy for me but smoking and sodas are my vises and I've yet to be able to overcome them. I haven't tried to quit smoking for many years but come Oct 1st I'm going to give it my best shot. Hopefully I will be successfull and begin to clear another poison from my body. After that I'll work on the soda poison.
    I hear you about the smoking part, this is way more difficult than change of diet! I plan on quitting too

These are my new numbers and yes, diet (in my case) does work!
    triglycerides: 52.63
    Cholesterol : 144.35
    Cholesterol/HDL ratio: 124.61
    HDL : 44.89
    LDL : 89.01

Last edited by boubou; 09-28-2007 at 04:57 AM.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:18 AM   #10
    annmg
    (female)

annmg HB User

Boubou..I agree with you. It has been 3 months now and my diet has changed for the good. Lots of fruits and mostly vegs. Lots of bean dishes, and oats. If I have meat, it is usually chicken or turkey, and I weigh it, so I eat only 3 ounces of it, and that is only at suppertime if I have it. I have had no desert in 3 months. People are always trying to feed me something sweet, but "no thanks". I'm not trying to be a hero about it, it is something I want to do, and my mind is set on it. I do feel better health wise. When ever I go to a grocery store and notice what other people have in their grocery carts, I say to myself, WOW...lots of fat food there. I do cardio exercise 30 minutes 6 days a week. I have to go back in November to get my cholesterol re-checked. Hopefully it will be lower that 257, and if's its not, I definitely will keep my new diet the same. Wouldn't change anything there, cause I do feel better, more energy. and feel healthy! I like what I eat now! I think when one does a change of diet, you have to have your mind set on it. I did quit smoking 17 years ago, and did that cold turkey, 1st week the hardest, but my mind was set on quiting. (I ate lots of ice cubs, that helped me) I think it depends on the individual. If my cholesterol didn't drop much...then I will make an appointment with my Doctor and view my options. Don't want to go on statins, so well see.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:17 AM   #11
    boubou
    (female)

boubou HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by annmg View Post
    When ever I go to a grocery store and notice what other people have in their grocery carts, I say to myself, WOW...lots of fat food there..
    That's funny, I'm finding the same thing, feeling a bit self rightous
    but it makes me feel good to know I'm doing the right thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by annmg View Post
    If my cholesterol didn't drop much...then I will make an appointment with my Doctor and view my options. Don't want to go on statins, so well see.
    I think it will drop, but if not, why not give Red yeast rice a try, it's got statin but at much lower levels.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #12
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Fat is actually extremely good at raising HDL... so don't knock it too much. Sugar, alcohol, and high glycemic carb foods are a lot worse for your cholesterol than animal fat. The trick is to balance out what you eat... and to cut out all the junky foods. It's not the fatty piece of meat that is at issue... it's all the junk food folks consume.

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 09-28-2007 at 11:33 AM.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:54 AM   #13
    Red60
    Veteran
    (male)

Red60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VentureMan View Post
    Fat is actually extremely good at raising HDL... so don't knock it too much. Sugar, alcohol, and high glycemic carb foods are a lot worse for your cholesterol than animal fat. The trick is to balance out what you eat... and to cut out all the junky foods. It's not the fatty piece of meat that is at issue... it's all the junk food folks consume.
    That's exactly what I've found. It's probably best not to overdo the red meats but putting a serious cut in the carbs worked much better for me than low fat. You've got to get calories and they are usually in the form of fat or carbs. I eat a fair amount of fat. Most of it from eggs, nuts, advocatoes and olive oil based salad dressings. I still eat some red meat plus lots of white skinless chicken and fish.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:25 PM   #14
    boubou
    (female)

boubou HB User

I eat fat in the form of olive oil, olives, whatever is in chicken and fish and nuts. No red meat for me right now, will probably have some sometime but it won't be much.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #15
    Allison965
    (female)

Allison965 HB User

LOL about the story about the grocery store and looking at the fat in other people's carts. I find myself doing this when I'm out to lunch now -- "look at all that fat and cholesterol on that person's plate!" I thought I was becoming a total snob until I read this email : )! Glad to know I am not the only one!

Closed Thread