It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• niaspan??, opinions please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
    elsie3205
    (female)

elsie3205 HB User
    niaspan??, opinions please!

I am a 51 yr. old female , 5'3", 102 pds. TC-269, LDL-182, HDL-82, Trig-23, with heart disease in my family. I have tried for 15 yrs. to lower my numbers with diet and exercise and have tried statins but cannot tolerate because of severe muscle pain. Zetia caused unbearable stomach pain. My doctor now wants me to try niaspan. Do you think niaspan would help my numbers?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
    Arizona77
    (male)

Arizona77 HB User
    Re: niaspan??, opinions please!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elsie3205 View Post
    I am a 51 yr. old female , 5'3", 102 pds. TC-269, LDL-182, HDL-82, Trig-23, with heart disease in my family. I have tried for 15 yrs. to lower my numbers with diet and exercise and have tried statins but cannot tolerate because of severe muscle pain. Zetia caused unbearable stomach pain. My doctor now wants me to try niaspan. Do you think niaspan would help my numbers?
    Yes give Niaspan a try. It will help your numbers. I know a few take Niaspan on this board and have had outstanding results.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:25 PM   #3
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

My numbers were quite a bit like yours and I was able to lower them to normal in one year on Niaspan... without all the aches and pains of statins.

After on year on 3000 mg Niaspan, my cholesterol is as follows:

Total Cholesterol... was 328....now 195 (41% decrease).
    LDL Cholesterol..... was 222....now 112 (50% decrease).
    Triglycerides......... was 304...now 153 (50% decrease).
    HDL Cholesterol..... was 46.....now 52 (13% increase).

Ratio................... was 7.13, now 3.75

Old 11-19-2007, 04:43 AM   #4
    elsie3205
    (female)

elsie3205 HB User

Thanks Arizona and VentureMan. I will give it a try. I hope I can get the same results!

Old 11-19-2007, 04:54 AM   #5
    Arizona77
    (male)

Arizona77 HB User

Quote:
    Thanks Arizona and VentureMan. I will give it a try. I hope I can get the same results!
    All the best. Let us know how it works out for you.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
    dmer
    (male)

dmer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VentureMan View Post
    My numbers were quite a bit like yours and I was able to lower them to normal in one year on Niaspan... without all the aches and pains of statins.

After on year on 3000 mg Niaspan, my cholesterol is as follows:

Total Cholesterol... was 328....now 195 (41% decrease).
    LDL Cholesterol..... was 222....now 112 (50% decrease).
    Triglycerides......... was 304...now 153 (50% decrease).
    HDL Cholesterol..... was 46.....now 52 (13% increase).

Ratio................... was 7.13, now 3.75
    VM,

Have there been weight / exercise / diet changes in that time frame?

From your other posts, I understand you supplement with fish oil, which I also do.

Your #'s are similar to what I had about 1 month ago;

TriG -262
    Total Ch - 270
    HDL - 37
    LDL - 181

I take 40MB Pravachol in addition to Lotrel 10 / 40. I've changed my diet and significantly reduce my calorie intake as well as stepped up the 6 day a week pace of my exercise.

I'm going to have another blood test around mid-December and will post the changes, if any.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
    Connie122516
    Veteran
    (female)

Connie122516 HB User

Niaspan usually does a better job of raising HDL and lowering triglycerides (which you don't need to do) than it does of lowering LDL. But it may be worth a try, especially if your doctor continues to monitor you with liver function tests.

You are lucky to have such a high HDL; personally, I wouldn't worry too much about your high LDL since your HDL is so high (and therefore protective) and your trigylcerides are so low. Your total will automatically be a little high just because your HDL is so high (which is good!).

Old 11-25-2007, 03:24 PM   #8
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmer View Post
    VM,

Have there been weight / exercise / diet changes in that time frame?

From your other posts, I understand you supplement with fish oil, which I also do.

I take 40MB Pravachol in addition to Lotrel 10 / 40.
    My numbers went down due to the Niaspan as I dodn't change my diet or do any exercising. It's been 4 years since I really exercised regularly. And my diet is not all it could be.

I started fish oil... but that lasted a week. The reason is laziness... niothing to do with the fish oil.

I use to take Pravachol. I liked it best of the three statins I've tried -- Pravachol, Lipitor, and Baychol. It had the least side effects, and is derived naturally. Lipitor and Baychol are synthetic. The synthetics are a lot stonger, but also have the most and worst side effects. This is true for Tricor vs. Lopid... both are fibrates but Lopid has half as many side effects as the synthetic Tricor.

Baychol worked the best... but it was taken off the market because it caused fatalities.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:55 AM   #9
    jimmyd57
    (male)

jimmyd57 HB User

Your numbers look pretty good. 82 for your HDL is amazingly wonderful. Niaspan increased HDL and yours is already very high. If you decide to take Niaspan you will should get blood tests every 3 months for liver function. Something that you will have to discuss with your doctor.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
    Arizona77
    (male)

Arizona77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmydale57 View Post
    Your numbers look pretty good. 82 for your HDL is amazingly wonderful. Niaspan increased HDL and yours is already very high. If you decide to take Niaspan you will should get blood tests every 3 months for liver function. Something that you will have to discuss with your doctor.
    This is of concern to me and I mentioned it to my Doctor. I have been taking 2,000mg immediate release Niacin daily since August. He said he does not want me in for a liver function or lipid panel till the first week in February. He said there is no need to worry as I am taking immediate release not sustained release like Niaspan. I am just still concerned about this.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 AM   #11
    elsie3205
    (female)

elsie3205 HB User

I couldn't take the niaspan because of stomach pain even though I took it with food each evening as directed. I have GERD and take nexium every morning but after about 3 days of the niaspan my acid relux was so bad, I could hardly function. I am thankful my HDL is as high as it is but don't know what I can do to reduce my LDL????

Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 AM   #12
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arizona77 View Post
    He said there is no need to worry as I am taking immediate release not sustained release like Niaspan. I am just still concerned about this.
    Your Doctor is correct... no great concern if you are taking imediate release. You liver can take being exposing to a big burst... but has a harder time being exposed to niacin for hours at a time.

The Slo-Niacin (slow release) is the biggest culpret, and has a history, for causing liver issues. Niaspan doesn't have a history of causing liver issues.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:37 AM   #13
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Quote:
    I couldn't take the niaspan because of stomach pain even though I took it with food each evening as directed. I have GERD and take nexium every morning but after about 3 days of the niaspan my acid relux was so bad, I could hardly function.
    I have GERD too... have for years. Get your GERD under control, and then try Niaspan again.

I take prescription Zantac in the evening (my insurance won't pay for proton pump inhibitor meds). It seems to do the trick, though not as well as nexium. And I take the Niaspan at bedtime.

Best of luck.

Closed Thread