It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Concerns about Zetia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #16
    Bill 1950

Re: Concerns about Zetia

I've been on Vytorin for two years (10:40), following a long run on Lipitor.

I've had CAD and other coronary complications for many years. I'll talk to my cardiologist about this at my next appointment in two weeks, but I'm not about to panic. The doctor put me on Vytorin in an attempt to lower LDL, and it's gone from 100 down to 70 with an accompanying 7 point increase in HDL (45 to 52).

But thanks Hubble for posting this. It does, of course, raise questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #17
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Bill 1950,

I wouldn't panic either if I were you. Talk to your doctor about the Vytorin next time you see him - maybe he'll suggest a different medication.

Good news for you - when LDL is brought down to 70 or lower - studies have shown significant plaque reduction.

What bothers me most about this Zetia / Vytorin situation is that it is so indicative of how corrupting the pursuit of profit is in health care.

Merck knew for 19 months about the negative study results, but said nothing. This is surely not the first time negative results have been postponed or totally withheld for profit motives either. At least as insidious is the practice of 'dropping' people with negative results from a study. Seems like cherry-picking the results to me.

Oh well, enough ranting for one evening.

Best of luck...

HubbleRules

Last edited by HubbleRules; 01-17-2008 at 08:59 PM.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:17 AM   #18
    Pete239
    (male)

Pete239 HB User

I've also taking Zetia a few years. Already have CHD so i thought it was a good thing. Now i read the report i wonder. Talked to my general pratictioner and he said the study should never have been released. So i called my cardio doctor and i'm awaiting word. If he says nothing to convince me i am going to drop Zetia and keep taking my zocor.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #19
    Mark1e
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pete239 View Post
    .... Talked to my general pratictioner and he said the study should never have been released. ....
    That is so typical! ... Doctors like it when their patients don't know what is going on. Big pharma will only stop selling us junk when we, the consumers, tell them it is not good enough.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pete239 View Post
    ... i called my cardio doctor and i'm awaiting word. If he says nothing to convince me i am going to drop Zetia and keep taking my zocor.
    The ENHANCE study shows quite convincingly that reducing cholesterol doesn't protect us from heart disease. So why would you want to continue with Zocor?

Mark

Old 01-20-2008, 10:11 PM   #20
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark1e View Post

The ENHANCE study shows quite convincingly that reducing cholesterol doesn't protect us from heart disease. So why would you want to continue with Zocor?

Mark
    The study doesn't show this. All it shows is that Zetia isn't effective in preventing heart disease. This may be because reducing cholesterol doesn't matter, or because the lipid sub-fractons Zetia reduced (or didn't reduce) played a role. Anyone out there find out if the Enhance study covered lipid sub-fractions or did it rely on standard cholesterol testing?

Statins can help some people, depending on overall risk factors. If this is due to lipid changes, inflammation reduction, or some other factor, I'm not sure if anyone exactly knows.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:25 AM   #21
    Mark1e
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by namelessme View Post
    .... Statins can help some people, depending on overall risk factors. ....
    That may be so, but it seems this protection does not come from reducing cholesterol.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #22
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark1e View Post
    That may be so, but it seems this protection does not come from reducing cholesterol.
    Yeah, this is probably true, at least for some people. Those with super high (genetic) cholesterol levels might be a different story... not sure.

Inflammation reduction could be the main protective action of statins. Or it could be that it shifts LDL from small particles to large. There is also a theory that statins are a vitamin D analogue, and D levels are what protects the heart.

It'd be nice if they did more studies to figure out why statins do help some people. It is entirely possible that fish oil + vitamin D would protect against heart disease more than any statin would, regardless of cholesterol changes.

Closed Thread