It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Concerns about Zetia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User
    Concerns about Zetia

All,

I was just reading today in the New York Times that it's been revealed that Merck has conducted several trials of Zetia, used in combination with Statins, that raise questions about it's effect on the liver, but never published those studies.

Also, in the ENHANCE trial that they did publish, and which the FDA relied upon in approving the drug, some people who developed liver problems during the trial were dropped from the trial and their results excluded from it - and this fact was never included in the study results.

The article stated that studies have indicated that taking Zetia in combination with a Statin results in an 11 times greater chance of health problems than taking a Statin alone.

Canada has explicit warnings on Zetia and Vytorin notifying people of the potential for liver damage - but the FDA does not require these warnings on the drugs sold in the U.S.

Just a word of warning...

HubblRules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: Concerns about Zetia

Hi Hubble.....I'm not surprised, as they seem to be pushing that Zetia and Vytorin alot. My old dr. tried insisting on me taking the Zetia, but I refused it. After taking the few statins I did, and getting so sick, I swore off of them..PERIOD! Reminds me of the old Baycol thing, which I have first hand knowledge of that lousy drug.

Thanks for the post, and by the way, Merry Christmas, and a very Happy and healthy New Year.

Old 12-22-2007, 05:33 AM   #3
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JJ View Post
    Thanks for the post, and by the way, Merry Christmas, and a very Happy and healthy New Year.
    JJ,

Hi - haven't seen you posting lately - welcome back!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you also!!!

Put that 'Flipper' movie on and dream about Beach Bumming....

HubbleRules

Old 12-22-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Yeah Hubble, seems the old crew went by the wayside. Hope all is well with you and the family. Same old, same old here, but we are still kicking.

Definately want to kick back and think of spring, already have had too much ice and freezing temps. Give me that Beach Bum life for sure.

Keep healthy, and enjoy your holidays.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

All,

There's more bad news for Zetia (and Vytorin) in the papers today.

They did a new trial that "failed to show that the drug had any medical benefits".

It reduces cholesterol by 10-15%, but when combined with Zocor, it actually increases the rate at which arterial plaques form over using Zocor alone.

Whoever is taking Zetia or Vytorin should do some research <removed>

HubbleRules

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-14-2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Old 01-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
    phoebeann
    (female)

phoebeann HB User

Hi All,
    Just watched an article on ABC news this evening that after a 2 year study on zetia "in Humans" that it is proven to have no effects on cholesterol or heart disease, it went on to say that people with high cholesterol should stick to the older cholesterol lowering drugs... not this person...dont know what exactly im going to do.. but after being off zetia and lipitor for almost 3 or 4 months im still paying for it. What is the story on cholesterol and inflamation? saw it in a post. help me out here. thanks

Old 01-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
    mmvic
    (male)

mmvic HB User

Gee, Merck's batting a 1000. And they withheld the negative study data for about two years. Lucky you if you happened to use Vioxx and took Zetia or Vytorin. But their commercials said they REALLY care.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

Of course, I've been taking Vytorin and it's the only cholesterol drug that's ever lowered my cholesterol to under 200. I'm having my annual physical in 2 weeks, so I'll talk to my Dr. about it then. I used to take Zocor, but it didn't lower my cholesterol enough. Everyone in my family has high cholesterol. I wish I had just stayed on Zocor already.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

All,

I wouldn't do anything right now if you are currently taking Vytorin or Zetia.

I would schedule a follow-up with my doctor and discuss the sitation. But chances are, you probably are better off switching to a different medication.

Regards,

HubbleRules

Old 01-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
    mmvic
    (male)

mmvic HB User

This all goes back to the idea some doctors hold that cholesterol is more of a marker rather than the primary causative of cardiac disease. The science is still not clear but knowledgeable physicians believe the problems stem from underlying inflamation processes. What causes the inflamation and how to prevent it are not totally clear. What is clear though is that low cholesterol is in not ,by itself, an guarantee of cardiac health.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:52 AM   #11
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

mmvic,

I agree completely - there's a lot more to CHD than just cholesterol levels.

Sadly, at this time, I think there's more that we don't know than do about how to effectively prevent CHD.

I think some of the drugs under development that target cell receptors and which can interrupt the inflammation response are probably going to do more good than those we have available to us today.

HubbleRules

Old 01-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I'll be seeing my Dr. in 9 days and will discuss it with him then. I'll let you know what he says.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
    Mark1e
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Mark1e HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmvic View Post
    ... What is clear though is that low cholesterol is in not ,by itself, an guarantee of cardiac health.
    So this study suggests that reducing cholesterol doesn't reduce plaque buildup. And it was always assumed that plaque buildup caused heart attacks. Other studies have shown that using statins reduces heart attack risk. Which raises the question, if it isn't cholesterol, what causes heart attacks? It seems to lend weight to the inflammation hypothesis, that inflammation causes plaque to rupture and cause heart attacks and strokes.

What really amazes me about all this is the way mainstream experts have responded. Questioning the use of cholesterol-reducing statins would be the expected response. Instead they are simply advising the use of statins alone. I suppose a little bit of plague buildup is better than a lot of plaque buildup ...

Last edited by Mark1e; 01-16-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:01 PM   #14
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark1e View Post
    So this study suggests that reducing cholesterol doesn't reduce plaque buildup. And it was always assumed that plaque buildup caused heart attacks. Other studies have shown that using statins reduces heart attack risk. Which raises the question, if it isn't cholesterol, what causes heart attacks? It seems to lend weight to the inflammation hypothesis, that inflammation causes plaque to rupture and cause heart attacks and strokes.
    Lipid subfractions probably play a role, which I think the Zetia study didn't even go into. LDL doesn't cause heart atacks. Small LDL particles do (most likely). I believe Zetia also reduced a sub-fraction of HDL too (I forget which study showed this), which isn't such a good thing.

So inflammation + an abundance of small LDL + high Lpa + low HDL = heart disease? That may be as good a guess as any, I suppose.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #15
    mmvic
    (male)

mmvic HB User

Glucose or glycogen maybe one of the primary bad actors since they have been shown to have an irritating effect on the vascular system. There maybe other bad actors also such as low grade infections, viruses and so on. This spectrum of irritants plus genetic predispostion account for the lack of knowledge for the disease.

LDL and LPa may in fact be markers for the underlying process -much like what has been discerned for C reactive protein. Statins are known to impact inflammatory processes , the changes in cholesterol maybe coincidental and just the marker changing as the inflammatory process is suppressed. The interesting thing is that RYR changes cholesterol much more than the actual dosage of statin would dictate so the other monaconlins could be impacting inflammatory processes. Drug companies will never pursue this since there are no patents here. Zetia has no impact on inflammation so no help with cardiac disease despite the drop in cholesterol. I would expect we see the same results for plant sterols/stanols since they also lower cholesterol but do nothing for inflammation.

Last edited by mmvic; 01-16-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Closed Thread