It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Unexplained drop in cholesterol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
    chestersmom
    (female)

chestersmom HB User
    Unexplained drop in cholesterol

I had my cholesterol last tested in Aug. 07 and results were:
    Total - 362
    hdl - 59
    ldl - 270
    tryg. - 165
    I have tried two statins, one did little, only about a 15 pt. drop and the other caused leg cramps so I stopped. I have had a problem with my thyroid levels being very low so in Sept. 07 my dr. increased by Thyroid meds from 88mcg to 125 mcg. After approximately 4 months I just had my thyroid rechecked and also
    had my cholesterol checked. The results were:
    Total - 274
    hdl - 55
    ldl- 179
    tryg. - 202
    I am aware that my levels are still high but with a drop in total and ldl of almost 100 pts. I am wondering if there is some relation to the change in thyroid function and the change in cholesterol. I have read that this is a possibility but that there would only be a small change, maybe 15 or 20 pts. not 100. Has anybody else had any experience with this?

Last edited by chestersmom; 01-05-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Kept loosing my post - computer problem

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
    dmer
    (male)

dmer HB User
    Re: Unexplained drop in cholesterol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chestersmom View Post
    I had my cholesterol last tested in Aug. 07 and results were:
    Total - 362
    hdl - 59
    ldl - 270
    tryg. - 165
    I have tried two statins, one did little, only about a 15 pt. drop and the other caused leg cramps so I stopped. I have had a problem with my thyroid levels being very low so in Sept. 07 my dr. increased by Thyroid meds from 88mcg to 125 mcg. After approximately 4 months I just had my thyroid rechecked and also
    had my cholesterol checked. The results were:
    Total - 274
    hdl - 55
    ldl- 179
    tryg. - 202
    I am aware that my levels are still high but with a drop in total and ldl of almost 100 pts. I am wondering if there is some relation to the change in thyroid function and the change in cholesterol. I have read that this is a possibility but that there would only be a small change, maybe 15 or 20 pts. not 100. Has anybody else had any experience with this?
    The drop in the total cholesterol and LDL levels would appear to be attributable to the statin you had taken. The increase in triglycerides would argue against this occurring because of dietary changes. How long did you take the statin and what was the interval between stopping it and having the 2nd blood test?

How was your blood glucose level?

I have no knowledge of how your thyroid function may have influenced any of this.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
    chestersmom
    (female)

chestersmom HB User
    Re: Unexplained drop in cholesterol

I only took the statin for about 2 months and it's been probably 4 months since I stopped taking it, so don't think that could have any bearing on the results. I guess I'll just be thankful my levels dropped regardless of reason.

Closed Thread