It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• High Cholesterol - Can I play Sports

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
    TFBrowne
    (male)

TFBrowne HB User
    Question High Cholesterol - Can I play Sports

Hi,

I've just found out that I have a very high Cholesterol level (7.4). I'm in Ireland so I don't know how that equates to international reading but they recommend 4 being the highest in this country so you can see how high it is.

The question is, I have a football game this weekend and I want to know if there is any reason why I can or cannot play this game? I am not overweight and I am reasonably fit. It seems the high Cholesterol reading is half hereditary, half diet based.

Your thoughts would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
    Tony

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2008, 01:43 AM   #2
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User
    Re: High Cholesterol - Can I play Sports

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TFBrowne View Post
    Hi,

I've just found out that I have a very high Cholesterol level (7.4). I'm in Ireland so I don't know how that equates to international reading but they recommend 4 being the highest in this country so you can see how high it is.

The question is, I have a football game this weekend and I want to know if there is any reason why I can or cannot play this game? I am not overweight and I am reasonably fit. It seems the high Cholesterol reading is half hereditary, half diet based.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Hi Tony,

I can't answer your question per se, but my own cholesterol readings are 6.5 and my GP said he wasn't too worried for the moment about those numbers. I was also recently diagnosed with high blood pressure to boot.

I stand corrected, but isn't 5 considered normal?

Marantz.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:19 AM   #3
    TFBrowne
    (male)

TFBrowne HB User

Yeah it was 5 in Ireland but they are revising it to 4 as they want to tackle it harder, so I've been told.

I just want to make sure it is safe for me to play football with it. I know exercise is one of the main ways to bring the levels down but I don't want to overdo it and drop dead as a result!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
    dmer
    (male)

dmer HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TFBrowne View Post
    Hi,

Cheers,
    Tony
    Football would be ok but I'd rule out lawn bowling

Seriously, you should have a physical and check for underlying conditions. The father of the Motherwell football player who just died during a game in Scotland was a high school classmate of mine and I have a vague memory of a congenital heart condition in his family. Tragically, it played out with the on field death of his son, an otherwise very fit individual.

With your blood lipids, a physical exam and evaluation of your family's cardiac history, you can get a good assessment of any risk you might be confronting.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
    Lulubells
    Veteran
    (female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

Diet and excersize is what they reccomend for high cholesterol isn't it? I do not agree with them wanting us to lower our cholesterol to un natural levels. I got mine down to where the doctors were happy and I was hardly able to function with it that low. I do not believe a one size fits all when it comes to cholesterol. I know how much better I feel with it when my doctor isn't happy with it, than when he is....

Old 01-16-2008, 02:03 AM   #6
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Hi again,

I didn't know that about the colestoral levels revised down to 4. Thanks for the information. That makes mine a bit higher then.

Marantz.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:41 AM   #7
    alwaysaworrier
    (female)

alwaysaworrier HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marantz1935 View Post
    Hi again,

I didn't know that about the colestoral levels revised down to 4. Thanks for the information. That makes mine a bit higher then.

Marantz.
    I believe most doctors are very happy with 5 but if it goes down to 4 they are even happier!

What type of foods do you eat to help lower it? It is good to hear from people who have the same type of readings i.e. 4, 5 6, 7 etc!

Old 01-17-2008, 04:48 AM   #8
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alwaysaworrier View Post
    I believe most doctors are very happy with 5 but if it goes down to 4 they are even happier!

What type of foods do you eat to help lower it? It is good to hear from people who have the same type of readings i.e. 4, 5 6, 7 etc!
    Truthfully, not a great deal. I have lost a good bit of weight by walking a hour a day at the local beach. I suppose I am more aware of foods and their ingredients and I've changed to low fat dairy and drink lots of water. I probably could do more

How about you?

Marantz.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
    HubbleRules
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

HubbleRules HB User

If you're in reasonably fit condition, then regular participation in aerobic sports should be good for you. (The only exception I can think of is if you've been diagnosed with a high level of artery blockage). If you're out of shape, I'd work out for a month before engaging in strenuous exercise like football (aka soccer to we Yanks).

Just remember...

"You get in shape to play sports, not play sports to get in shape".

HubbleRules

Last edited by HubbleRules; 01-17-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Closed Thread