HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   High Cholesterol (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-cholesterol/)
-   -   question about fried foods (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-cholesterol/567560-question-about-fried-foods.html)

annmg 01-10-2008 04:54 AM

question about fried foods

I know fried foods are a no-no for people with high cholesterol, but I have a question to ask....I purchased some frozen fish (cod) the other day. Last night I dipped it in egg whites then a few bread crumbs, then put it on a baking dish and baked it. I thought it was real good. My hubby of course likes it better pan fried ( he doesn't have a cholesterol issue). Well..my questions is, If I used olive oil or canola oil and pan fried it, would that of been ok. I know olive oil is good for you, but just wondering if something happens to the oil when you pan fry that makes it bad for you. Just wondering how everyone cooks fish out there. Any suggestions would really be appreciated..thanks

Pat007 01-10-2008 07:06 AM

Re: question about fried foods

[QUOTE=annmg;3383362]I know fried foods are a no-no for people with high cholesterol, but I have a question to ask....I purchased some frozen fish (cod) the other day. Last night I dipped it in egg whites then a few bread crumbs, then put it on a baking dish and baked it. I thought it was real good. My hubby of course likes it better pan fried ( he doesn't have a cholesterol issue). Well..my questions is, If I used olive oil or canola oil and pan fried it, would that of been ok. I know olive oil is good for you, but just wondering if something happens to the oil when you pan fry that makes it bad for you. Just wondering how everyone cooks fish out there. Any suggestions would really be appreciated..thanks[/QUOTE]

Olive oil is a healthy iol, but not good for cooking at high temperature , it breaks down and burns.

Try Canola oil as it is a "healthy oil"

It sounds like you husband likes the "taste" of fried foods.

You can accomplish this by doing a light breading and placing the food on a baking rack and then place the rack on a cookie sheet. You can purchase a baking rack or even use a cookie rack, if it's big enough.... but use one that sits up off the baking sheet. Make sure you spray the rack so the food will not stick. Then after the "light breading " spray the food lightly and bake in a hot oven.
The heat will go under and around the food due being up on the rack and crispy it up and taste like the flavor of friend food.

It would be nice if you could wean him to broiled or baked foods with no breading.

Lulubells 01-10-2008 08:59 PM

I have been rolling mine in the purchased bread crumbs and Lo-fat Parmesan cheese, if you get the seasoning right, this is as good as any fried! You can skip the egg whites if you put it in the breading/parmesan cheese hours ahead and let if sit in that covered with the mix until you are ready to cook it (letting it sit gives it a great crust). With my crew, even the ones who eat the deep fried will take this too. (and EAT it!)

annmg 01-11-2008 04:14 AM

[QUOTE=Lulubells;3384***]I have been rolling mine in the purchased bread crumbs and Lo-fat Parmesan cheese, if you get the seasoning right, this is as good as any fried! You can skip the egg whites if you put it in the breading/parmesan cheese hours ahead and let if sit in that covered with the mix until you are ready to cook it (letting it sit gives it a great crust). With my crew, even the ones who eat the deep fried will take this too. (and EAT it!)[/QUOTE]

Just wondering...do you bake it like Pat007 said, or pan fry it in canole oil?

Guy1_USA 01-11-2008 09:10 PM

I would never worry about fresh pan fried fish with regard to cholesterol. Sorry, but most folks do not have high cholesterol due to the foods they eat, but rather due to thier liver producing too much cholesterol.

Best of luck. :)

Pat007 01-12-2008 09:41 AM

You are right regarding pan frying the fish and high Cholesterol, and the question was referring to her contributing to her husband's cholesterol levels.

Hopefully people would use the right oils and not too much oil or breading. Too many carbohydrates & oil can cause weight gain. That's not good. :(

I think of frying as one using large amounts of oil so......I will switch the word "frying" to "searing".

Searing food in a very small amount of good oil, just enough to keep the food from sticking to the pan.

annmg 01-12-2008 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=Pat007;3387186]You are right regarding pan frying the fish and high Cholesterol, and the question was referring to her contributing to her husband's cholesterol levels.

Hopefully people would use the right oils and not too much oil or breading. Too many carbohydrates & oil can cause weight gain. That's not good. :(

I think of frying as one using large amounts of oil so......I will switch the word "frying" to "searing".

Searing food in a very small amount of good oil, just enough to keep the food from sticking to the pan.[/QUOTE]

thats true...when I think of frying, it is done with more oil than searing. I will keep "searing" on my mind (with good oil) next time I do fish. thanks for bringing that to my attention. :)