It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Niaspan users please read

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
    Lutheran122
    Inactive
    (male)

Lutheran122 HB User
    Niaspan users please read

I have heard wonderful things about this medicine..my doctor gave me a script today for 500mg of this drug. He said to take 1 at night before bed with a full aspirin , not a baby aspirin. Will I flush a lot with this medicine at that mg level? Will the aspirin help? Should I get the chewable aspirin or does that even matter. I am afraid the flushing will be intolerable but I believe this drug will help me raise my HDL and I am also going to be taking pravachol with it..10mg though my cholesterol is at 152 right now so maybe I won't need it? Any advice would be helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User
    Re: Niaspan users please read

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lutheran122 View Post
    I have heard wonderful things about this medicine..my doctor gave me a script today for 500mg of this drug. He said to take 1 at night before bed with a full aspirin , not a baby aspirin. Will I flush a lot with this medicine at that mg level? Will the aspirin help? Should I get the chewable aspirin or does that even matter. I am afraid the flushing will be intolerable but I believe this drug will help me raise my HDL and I am also going to be taking pravachol with it..10mg though my cholesterol is at 152 right now so maybe I won't need it? Any advice would be helpful.
    You'll probably be okay at 500mg, so don't get too worried. I'm taking the same dose, and usually don't flush at all -- and I don't take an aspirin with it. Best to just follow whatever advice your doc gave you.

500mg Niaspan produced less flush than 100mg IR Niacin, at least for me. I've had other, somewhat rare, side effects from niacin though, so that's why I'm taking it slowly and am still at 500mg. And if you do flush, don't panic. Drink some water and it usually passes within 10-20 minutes or so.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:26 AM   #3
    Lutheran122
    Inactive
    (male)

Lutheran122 HB User

Niaspan is not a statin right? It won't give me body aches will it? I took the first pill last night with 1 baby aspirin and no flushing at all.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:13 AM   #4
    Connie122516
    Veteran
    (female)

Connie122516 HB User

Niaspan is a prescription version of the B vitamin niacin, so no it is not a statin.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
    jimmyd57
    (male)

jimmyd57 HB User

I think that you are getting good advice from your doctor. I started on 500mg niaspan for one month . Then 1000 mg for 3 months. I then switched to 2000 mg of niacin and after 3 months on niacin had dramatic increase in my HDL. I think that taking the niaspan was the secret to buildin g up tolerance for regular niacin. I took a regular niacin 500mg about a year ago and my whole body broke out in a severe rash. It was a scary experience.Anyway after 3 months on niaspan (100mg)my HDL went from 42 to 52. After 3 months on regular niacin 2000mg my HDL went from 52 to 67.5. I do watch my diet and exercise regularly(swimming). The niacin seems to have worked wonders and I do not understand why it is not prescribed more often that it is......The flushing is not a problem once you start using the niacin on a regular schedule...... Good Luck!!

Old 02-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #6
    Inactive
    (female)

3080 HB User

Quote:
    If you are unsure about anything, you need to call your doctor ASAP!! Don't ever be afraid to ask your doctor or the nurse any questions that you have before you leave the office. A lot of the time people don't like bothering the doctor or asking him/her too many questions, because they feel they are bothering them. That is his/her job. They are not supposed to leave you hanging with unanswered questions and they usually like it when patients have questions. So, Please, don't hold back and always speak up.

I know that had nothing to do with what you asked, but in a way it did. You should call your doctor or nurse to ask how much aspirin you can take etcetera.

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2008, 03:16 AM   #7
    Lutheran122
    Inactive
    (male)

Lutheran122 HB User

My doctors office has 3 patients booked for every 15 minutes on the clock , my last doctor had about the same. There was no way for me to think on and ask all these questions while in his office. I could have called and asked but I know the people in here are all familiar with and knowledgeable about these kind of questions ( cholesterol meds ) and I also look on other info sites so I am pretty sure I have correct answers to my questions..though I do agree with your post its sometimes not possible , for me anyway lol.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
    Pat007
    (female)

Pat007 HB User

Quote:
    My doctors office has 3 patients booked for every 15 minutes on the clock , my last doctor had about the same. There was no way for me to think on and ask all these questions while in his office. I could have called and asked but I know the people in here are all familiar with and knowledgeable about these kind of questions ( cholesterol meds ) and I also look on other info sites so I am pretty sure I have correct answers to my questions..though I do agree with your post its sometimes not possible , for me anyway lol.
    Hi,

I have found it helpful for me to keep a pad handy and write down any questions that I might want to ask my doctor.

I usually forget to ask, if I don't have a reminder with me....because like you said, the appointments can get rushed.

I agree with the other poster's statement the doctor does "like you to ask."
    It helps them tremendously because the Doc's cannot think of everything, either.

If we don't ask questions.. how would the Doctors know we need an answer?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #9
    Lutheran122
    Inactive
    (male)

Lutheran122 HB User

The problem with that is I didn't know he was going to be prescibing me Niaspan until i was sitting in his office near the end of my 5-6 minute visit so I had no time to think of questions to ask other then would this help my HDL levels to which he said yes.

Last edited by Lutheran122; 02-18-2008 at 08:26 AM.

Closed Thread