It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• question about fish oil (pill form)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
    annmg
    (female)

annmg HB User
    question about fish oil (pill form)

I know you are not suppose to eat a lot of fish due to the mercery, but what I was wondering does fish oil (pill form) have mercery in it? It is very hard to find fresh fish where we live, so we don't eat much of it. Since most of us take these fish oil supplements, just wondering if they contain mercery, and if they will harm us, especially taking 3 pills a day. Thanks for all your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
    Red60
    Veteran
    (male)

Red60 HB User
    Re: question about fish oil (pill form)

Fish oil is safe. The heavy metal contaminations are stored in the muscle tissue not the fat tissue. In addition fish oil does recieve some testing to be sure its safe. I think the oil going rancid is a bigger problem.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
    annmg
    (female)

annmg HB User

Thanks for the info. How can you tell if the oil is rancid in the pill form. Thanks again.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by annmg View Post
    Thanks for the info. How can you tell if the oil is rancid in the pill form. Thanks again.
    I occasionally break open a pill and taste it -- if it's rancid, your tongue will feel like falling off.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
    The Mayor
    (male)

The Mayor HB User

I have a better test for you annmg, which I have not tried yet. A friend told me to cut open a fish oil softgel and squeeze it's contents onto a small plate made of china. Then place the plate in the freezer for about 30 minutes to an hour. When you take it out, if the fish oil is slushy or is beginning to freeze like a 7-Eleven slurpee, then it is cheap and no good. However ifmit stays liquid and slippery, like freshly poured olive oil into a frying pan then it is more than likely good fish oil.

Also there are certain brands of fish oil out there that will actually say on the side of the bottle that the oil is derived from cold, deep water fish like sardines and anchovy. These fish usually are caught in the Northern Atlantic near Norway and have little or no mercury in them. Carlson is one of these brands.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #6
    annmg
    (female)

annmg HB User

Very interesting !! I'll have to try that. Thanks for all your help.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
    Lutheran122
    Inactive
    (male)

Lutheran122 HB User

I just bought fish oil that said no burp on the outside of the bottle..sure enough it didn't repeat on me at all which is great.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #8
    Harry
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

The book that started us all taking Fish oil?Omega 3 is -- "The Omega Rx Zone" by Dr Barry Sears,PhD published in 2002 hard cover and published in soft cover in 2003. He also is a widely published author of The Zone diet books. His PhD in Blood fats (Lipids).
    He recommended in his book to use pharmaceutical-grade fish oil but I tried to find it but could not and found there is no such thing that is marketed and FDA approved. So, I settled for Carlson Super-Omega3 Fish Oil-- they claim is manufactured w/o mercury and I have taken 3 gm daily along with 2 gms of Essential Fatty acid --Flax Seed oil.

I have recently bought some Krill Oil capsules from Dr Mercola but have just started using them-- they are smaller capsules.
    I did not start the Omega 3 oils for blood lipid problems but to improve my memory-- and I think it does.

My Total Cholesterol is 143 and Trig level is 123 as of my last fasting test on 2/8/08. That is about what it was in 1998 when I had a discussion with my Doctor about it being too low.

I have not tried other brands but have been very satified with the brand I have been using since 2003.

I wish ya'll well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 02-24-2008 at 11:08 PM.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
    GBug
    (female)

GBug HB User

I just bought 2 large bottles of Omega-3. When I opened the bottle, I couldn't believe how big the pills are. I'm afraid I'll choke on one. Is it okay to cut the softgel and mix the fish oil in food?

Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #10
    GBug
    (female)

GBug HB User
    coQ10

Should I take coQ10 for high cholesterol instead of a statin? Is it safe? Where can I buy it? What is a good, reliable brand?

Thanks!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GBug View Post
    I just bought 2 large bottles of Omega-3. When I opened the bottle, I couldn't believe how big the pills are. I'm afraid I'll choke on one. Is it okay to cut the softgel and mix the fish oil in food?
    Sure, it's fine. When I took it in pill form I'd sometimes just break it open, so I wouldn't have to eat a million pills daily.

They sell fish oil in liquid form too, by the way. Just use a spoon and drink it down (or put it on food).

Old 02-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #12
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User
    Re: coQ10

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GBug View Post
    Should I take coQ10 for high cholesterol instead of a statin? Is it safe? Where can I buy it? What is a good, reliable brand?

Thanks!!!
    CoQ10 /may/ have some benefits regarding oxidized LDL, but it won't lower cholesterol (that I know of).

If taking a statin you should take CoQ10 anyway. Jarrow is a reputable brand. <removed> a local Vitamin Shoppe/health food store should sell CoQ10.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-27-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules

Old 02-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #13
    GBug
    (female)

GBug HB User

Thank you very much for the information!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #14
    GBug
    (female)

GBug HB User
    Re: coQ10

I wish my doctor would tell me these things. Last year, I asked him if I should be taking fish oil for cardio health and he said "It won't hurt, but there is no proof that it helps." I asked him about taking garlic supplements (to lower LDL) too and his reply was exactly the same. It seems doctors, or mine anyway, are always rushing to see the next patient. When it comes to seeing my Gyn, Cardiologist, and Internal Medicine docs, I feel like I'm on a stopwatch. Unless I think of everything I need to ask within a couple of minutes, forget it.....they're out the door. Whatever happened to quality care instead of quantity care?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #15
    pattonedn
    (female)

pattonedn HB User

Is there a certain amount? I am just now finding out I have to start taking Crestor, not happy about it, in fact Im scared to even take, I wish it was something natural to take instead, thanks for your help

Closed Thread