It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Will 20mg of Pravachol Fix this??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
    Imacarbuff
    (male)

Imacarbuff HB User
    Will 20mg of Pravachol Fix this??

Just got my labs back-not terrible....but the LDL could be better. I'm not sure I can do much better with my diet...I've already given up just about everything that really taste wonderful to me.

Total Cholesterol -230
    HDL- 49
    LDL-156
    Triglycerides-122

The above numbers are with taking nothing really for cholesterol....but I do have a prescription for pravastatin that I can get filled. I was on statins a few years ago (Lipitor & Zocor) and had some problems (muscle aches and profound weakness) that took 18 months to come back from. Statins scare me..but I understand that pravachol/pravastatin is a weaker statin.... and I'd be happy to drop the LDL to something around 120.
    Thanks for any input.

My BP is 112/72 and weight is 192 at 6' 2" ( non-smoker)

Last edited by Imacarbuff; 02-28-2008 at 05:50 PM. Reason: forgot to say something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User
    Re: Will 20mg of Pravachol Fix this??

You should take CoQ10 with a statin, if they tend to cause you muscle aches. I'm afraid I don't know how well Pravachol works, of if it's a good idea to even try it due to your bad experiences with the other statins.

Oat bran + fish oil might help your numbers a little bit. Niaspan/Niacin could probably get your LDL to around 120 or so, but ask your doctor if you wish to try it.

Last edited by namelessme; 02-28-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
    Re: Will 20mg of Pravachol Fix this??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Imacarbuff View Post
    Just got my labs back-not terrible....but the LDL could be better. I'm not sure I can do much better with my diet...I've already given up just about everything that really taste wonderful to me.

Total Cholesterol -230
    HDL- 49
    LDL-156
    Triglycerides-122

The above numbers are with taking nothing really for cholesterol....but I do have a prescription for pravastatin that I can get filled. I was on statins a few years ago (Lipitor & Zocor) and had some problems (muscle aches and profound weakness) that took 18 months to come back from. Statins scare me..but I understand that pravachol/pravastatin is a weaker statin.... and I'd be happy to drop the LDL to something around 120.
    Thanks for any input.

My BP is 112/72 and weight is 192 at 6' 2" ( non-smoker)
    You can break the pill in half (10 mg), that is what my cardio doc suggested. He said we can always work upward if 10 mgs does not lower the numbers. I take 10 mg of PRAVACHOL before going to bed, and my cholesterol numbers are always approx around 200. I also take NIACIN, 3 enteric coated fish oil tablets, and 2 capsules of KYOLIC Garlic. (I do not watch my diet and drink alcohol daily) but I try to cut-down on sweets and also have fish 2 days a week and use BENECHOL (a buttery PLANT STEROL spread) for my toast etc...

P.S. Pravachol is better than all the other Statins (the most researched) and less side effects, if the doses are small enough. In my opinion - for the safest, and to improve (ALL) blood markers, HDL LDL TOTAL chol, LPA, C-Reactive Protein only NIACIN can provide the "MIRACLE CURE" There is a prescription NIACIN called "NIASPAN" which is now very popular. You may not need the PRAVACHOL at all, if your numbers are under control, though STATINS work great with NIACIN to reverse ARTERY plaque and cut MI rate.
    (Especially ZOCOR or PRAVACHOL)

NOTE: The NIASPAN is very expensive, but it is very effective and avoids the flushing side effect which bothers most people. The flushing is actually a mechanism to boost circulation and improve blood flow. (Oddly ,, I feel calmer after the skin flush)

Closed Thread