It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Need Advice on Starting Niacin Therapy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
    luvmy82
    (female)

luvmy82 HB User
    Need Advice on Starting Niacin Therapy?

I have been contemplating for some time now to begin Niacin therapy to help my cholesterol levels. From what I understand, this is a very powerful vitamin, and if you are not careful, liver damage could occur if you are too vigirous with it.

How do you determine what is the proper doseage and what type of Niacin to begin with? Time release? Immediate release? Is the doseage based on weight? Is there a difference in doseage if you are male or female?

Is there a post that someone can refer me to that answers my questions? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User
    Re: Need Advice on Starting Niacin Therapy?

I strongly advise taking niacin under a doctor's care. You'll need follow-up blood work too, to check how your liver is doing.

You can ask your doctor about Niaspan (much less risk of flush), or if you feel adventurous, try immediate release niacin.

Doses generally range from 500-2000mg/daily, although a person can go up to 3000mg/daily (IR only) if needed. The higher the dose, the higher the risk of side effects.

If going with IR niacin, it's probably best to start small, say 100mg/daily, then after several days or a week, up the dose. The titration level depends somewhat on how bad you flush.

If it's something like Niaspan, 500mg is the initial starting dose. You'll need a prescription for this type.

Also, it's not a bad idea to get your homocysteine levels tested before you start on niacin, as it can sometimes raise these levels. Useful to have as a benchmark before taking it.

Last edited by namelessme; 03-09-2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Added homocysteine comment

Old 03-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
    Lutheran122
    Inactive
    (male)

Lutheran122 HB User

namelessme every time I read one of your posts I become more discouraged. Your a fountain of good info but it always seems to go against what I am doing. I just started the niaspan therapy and have gotten myself up to 1000mg a day ( 500 in the morning and 500 in the evening ). Now for the first time ever I read in a post of yours that niacin can increase homocysteine levels..which is something I never heard before , not here or from my doctor and obviously it is something I dont want to have happen. Having heart disease sucks enough , but in trying to fix it/stabilize it there is just no great way to go about doing it without 1 risk or another popping up. The cure always ends up killing you in the end I guess.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lutheran122 View Post
    namelessme every time I read one of your posts I become more discouraged. Your a fountain of good info but it always seems to go against what I am doing. I just started the niaspan therapy and have gotten myself up to 1000mg a day ( 500 in the morning and 500 in the evening ). Now for the first time ever I read in a post of yours that niacin can increase homocysteine levels..which is something I never heard before , not here or from my doctor and obviously it is something I dont want to have happen. Having heart disease sucks enough , but in trying to fix it/stabilize it there is just no great way to go about doing it without 1 risk or another popping up. The cure always ends up killing you in the end I guess.
    No need to get discouraged -- the benefits of niacin far outweigh any risks associated with homocysteine. The homocysteine link to heart disease is iffy anyway. At best it may be a marker.

I just suggested getting it tested before therapy, that way if it does rise, you know if it's the niacin or it has always been that way. And if it is high normally, you can get your folic acid/B12 levels checked. Low amounts of either of those can cause high homocysteine.

It's also not a definite that your homocysteine will rise with niacin. My own levels went from 10.7 to 6.9, after starting niacin. I'm still trying to figure out what I did to lower it, or if it was simply a lab error.

Out of curiosity, is it better to split niacin doses up, or take it all at once? I think evening is best (before bedtime) but I'm curious if taking it in the morning too has helped your cholesterol levels. I'm still taking a relatively low dose of niacin, 500mg, in the evenings. Now I'm wondering if I could add 500 during the day too, or would that tire my liver out.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
    Lutheran122
    Inactive
    (male)

Lutheran122 HB User

I had assumed you were on a much higher Niacin dose..I am using Niaspan which I believe is much easier on the liver then IR Niacin. I will let you know how my levels are doing it the way I do it when I go next month for my blood work.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lutheran122 View Post
    I had assumed you were on a much higher Niacin dose..I am using Niaspan which I believe is much easier on the liver then IR Niacin. I will let you know how my levels are doing it the way I do it when I go next month for my blood work.
    I get somewhat rare side effects from niacin/niaspan, so I have to titrate slowly (and be careful) -- that's why I'm at 500mg. I'd like to get it up to at least a gram daily, but I probably should wait until my next blood work before attempting it.

Closed Thread