It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• muscle aches associated with Lipitor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2002, 02:09 PM   #1
    libloom
    Veteran
    (female)

libloom HB User
    Question muscle aches associated with Lipitor

Hi....

I posted on another board with the same question and it was suggested that I post here.

Has anyone experienced muscle pain along with some weakness as a side affect of Lipitor?

I was on Lipitor approximately 2 years ago and
    never associated the pain I was having then with the drug. I hurt from the shoulder girdle, into both arms and legs. Headed to a rheumatologist...went thru tons of tests....my ANA (anti-nuclear antigen) level was abnormal. He thought it could be an early manifestation of an auto-immune disorder of some sort.

I asked to try a small dose, short term course of prednisone. He started with a "booster" shot and I went on 15 mg. for a week...down to 10 mg for a week, then to 5 mg. Within 24 hours, all of my pain was
    gone! Sooooooo, I never associated the pain with Lipitor - thought whatever I had going on responded to steroids and continued the Lipitor. The muscle pain came back after I went to the lower (5 mg.) dose of prednisone. So, the doc suggested I stop taking
    the Lipitor, which I did.

Unfortunately, my numbers went thru the roof again
    and I started the Lipitor again 6 months ago (dummy me) and - BAM - the pain is back full force again!

Feels like I got hit with a mack truck!! Have stopped taking Lipitor and will wait to see if pain stops.

Another question.....since the prednisone helped
    before (i.e. inflammation), would the Lipitor cause the inflammation? Someone on the other board suggested it destroys the ubiquinone/co-enzyme?

Confused and would love some input.

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2002, 06:29 PM   #2
    gorgon
    (male)

gorgon HB User
    Well Linda, sounds like you are one of the unlucky people who can't tolerate the Lipitor. Muscle twitching, aching, and weakness are the hallmarks of the many side-effects associated with this whole class of drugs. Some people believe that taking CoQ10 helps - it really didn't help me much - but the muscle aches will most likely abate over time. There are other drugs and supplements that may reduce your chol. levels somewhat, but the statins do an excellent job of keeping the bad chol. down - but are toxic to some of us. Watch out for tingling and numbness (neuropathy)if you continue lipitor-this will take a lot longer to clear up.

Old 10-27-2002, 08:02 AM   #3
    32skater
    (female)

32skater HB User
    Hi Linda: I, too, experienced the aching with Lipitor. I took it for two years and when my lipids
    starting showing a problem with liver, I had to go
    off of it and my aching let up. Than after a while,
    they tried me on it again as my liver signs were back
    to normal and the aching came back. Boing!!! It just
    like hits you that this is causing the muscle aches
    and pains. Again, it starting affecting my liver.
    They took me off of it, saying never to be on it, again. I than tried provachol, of which I had the
    same problem, all over again. Went off of that, and
    than I chose to take a non-statin medication for
    cholesterol and I have been on Tricor for several
    months, now, and really not experiencing any
    difficult, to my knowledge and my "numbers" are
    great. I take 160 mg. every day. You might consider
    the non-statin as I know the aching is no fun and you
    begin to think that there is really something serious
    going on. Good luck to you, Dottie

Old 10-28-2002, 12:40 PM   #4
    libloom
    Veteran
    (female)

libloom HB User
    Smile

Thanks for your response....

I haven't taken the Lipitor since last Friday and
    the muscle aches seem to be fading already.

Thanks for telling me about Tricor....I'll ask
    my doc about it.

Thanks again and take care,
    Linda

Old 10-28-2002, 05:29 PM   #5
    32skater
    (female)

32skater HB User
    Thanks for the message, Linda. Happy to hear your
    aching is fading away. It is "no" fun, and doesn't
    seem quite fair, does it? Trying to cure one thing
    and have the aching along with, stinks. We are going
    to look in to the policosanol that they have been
    talking about on the board. It is not prescription
    and is not a statin or a non-statin. It sounds very
    promising. I take the Tricor; my husband doesn't
    take anything for cholesterol nor does he need;
    mine is heriditary, but he says he would take the
    policosanol if we found out enough about it. Good
    luck and keep me posted as to how you feel after
    taking the Lipitor. Dottie

Old 10-28-2002, 06:08 PM   #6
    hunter44
    Inactive

hunter44 HB User
    Simple answer. Statins can cause irreversible muscle damage. Irreversible. That means it doesn't come back. Think about it.

Old 10-28-2002, 09:22 PM   #7
    arkie6
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

arkie6 HB User
    There were some good replies to this same question that was posed in the "Open To All Topics" forum. Here is the direct link >>> [url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum126/HTML/002117.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum126/HTML/002117.html[/url]

Alan

Old 10-29-2002, 11:10 AM   #8
    libloom
    Veteran
    (female)

libloom HB User
    Smile

Hi all....

Thanks for the responses. I'm done with the Lipitor
    for good......need to look into something else to help lower my numbers!

Dottie....keep me posted about the policosanol (?) -
    sounds like something I'd be interested in.

By the way, a lot of folks around here have been on the apple juice/grape juice/white vinegar mixture...
    There's a late night radio talk show host who gets tons of calls from folks who swear by the stuff!!

Any of you know what I mean? I don't know if they are drinking this stuff in conjunction with meds or not....

Thanks again,
    Linda in Pittsburgh

Old 10-31-2002, 07:03 AM   #9
    32skater
    (female)

32skater HB User
    Hi Linda: We ordered the policosanol yesterday and
    once we receive, we'll be anxious to get on it. Since
    I am taking Tricor, got to figure out how I am going
    to go about it and take policosanol, too, but we'll
    figure that out. Eventually and soon, I want to be
    off Tricor, too. My husband is going to take
    policosanol, too, even though, his numbers are not
    off of the wall, so we will be able to see his progress on "poli". We'll keep you posted! We
    ordered from the VitaminShoppe as pcovers had
    suggested. We are, also, going to take the non
    flush niacin as that is supposed to help, also. My
    husband has been taking the time release niacin and
    they don't seem to recommend that, so we ordered
    the non-flush, also. My numbers are heriditary as
    my father died at 46 years of age. I have passed
    that by a bunch and basically, physically and all,
    (hopefully), I feel great. My numbers with Tricor
    are great so to give that up, will be "tuff". Have
    a wonderful day and hope that you are doing great, too.
    Dottie

Old 11-25-2002, 08:19 AM   #10
    ashtonn

ashtonn HB User
    Exclamation

Please note that the Tricor could cause great symptoms as well. Read my posts Tricor..Our story and Tricor side effects. Maybe you will be lucky on it, my husband could have died from it as far as I am concerned...in fact they thought he had ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and I am now 90% sure it was the Tricor. Remember Tricor has not been out long. I called the pharmac. company and told them of his symptoms...you know what they said? If enough people call with similar symptoms they change the package insert. So, as far as I am concerned, Tricor users are guinea pigs for the pharm. company. Perhaps the insert should read, "may cause you to think you are dying of ALS which will lead you to believe you will never see your 1 week old (son was 1 week old when this came to a head) walk, talk, graduate, etc" GL with it if you decide to try it. Husband was on it more than a year before symptoms came about.

Old 12-02-2002, 07:38 PM   #11
    Krumpawask

Krumpawask HB User
    Lipitor put me in the hospital and nearly in the ground after using the product for several months. I felt great and had good checkups except for high cholesterol. I became weaker and experienced horrible leg cramps and sore muscles and fatigue. I had just started a new job and made myself continue to go to work every day until the evening I came home from work and went to bed and stayed for a week, unable to eat, nauseated, torturous muscle pain all over my body and delirium. I slipped in and out of consciousness and screamed out in pain. I was too weak to object to my wife hauling me to the hospital where I stayed for about ten days. Every test known to man was run on me including biopsys and spinal taps. The CDC was called in for special testing also. According to all results, I was the most healthy dying person all the doctors ever used for a lab experiment. My wife and I told them that we suspected the Lipitor from the beginning, but the only comment was that this was a possibility. I was stuck with a thirty thousand dollar medical bill with no health insurance and no answers. I eventually gained enough strength to go back to work, but I still have chronic fatigue, muscle and joint pain, heart problems, and other ongoing health issues. I figure I'll have my medical bills paid off in about five more years. I contacted the drug company, but they said the warnings were clearly listed on the medication so they have no responsibily. I want to know if anyone else had the same severe reaction that I had and lived to tell about it.

Old 12-02-2002, 09:02 PM   #12
    rainstorm76
    (female)

rainstorm76 HB User
    Hello Krumpawask,
    I am on the Lipitor & it has worked for me so far (hopefully it doesn't cause physical problems like you had!!!). What I was going to ask you is how come you haven't filed lawsuit against the Lipitor Company? I would if I was in your shoes. It doesn't matter if you know the side effects or not they are responisible because they made the pill in the first place & distributed it despite the awful side effects. I'd be pretty angry with them if they told me they weren't responsible!!!
    rainstorm76

Old 12-03-2002, 07:49 PM   #13
    Krumpawask

Krumpawask HB User
    I spoke with a lawyer who handles class action lawsuits as related to health issues and I was told that if the side effects were listed in the pamplet that is issued by the drug maker that a person has no chance in a court case. I had just about everything listed as a possible side affect. I checked with another lawyer who told me that the big deal going on now is the class action suit for users of Baycor which is another statin type drug. He was not in the least interested in my problem. This guy was out of Texas.

[This message has been edited by Krumpawask (edited 12-04-2002).]

Old 12-06-2002, 06:36 PM   #14
    humanriff
    (male)

humanriff HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Krumpawask:
    According to all results, I was the most healthy dying person all the doctors ever used for a lab experiment.
    I had a similar experience with Lipitor. After taking it for about a month, I became almost suicidal. I didn't have the physical symptoms (muscle pain, etc) that most people describe but went into the most profound depression I have ever experienced. The only thing that saved me was that I had to go onto another health insurance plan that had a cheaper co-pay for prescriptions, and went off the Lipitor for about 10 days in the interim. All of a sudden, after about a week, I realized that I felt "normal" again. Shortly after that, I had chest pains. They could not detect any abnormality in my EKG, even on a stress test. I had an agioplasty and one of my coronary arteries was 98 percent blocked, so they put a stent in there. As it stands now, I would rather die from a heart attack than go on any kind of statin drug again. I take 2000 mg of Niaspan, gugulipids, polyconsanol, pyrithrone, aspirin, and a few other things. My total cholestorol has gone from 450 to 160 and my TG from 800 to about 123. I seem to be the type of person whose cholesterol is adversely affected by carbohydrates.

I guess what I am saying is that you have to find your own way. The MD's are all controlled by HMO's now and it is at least an even chance that they won't diagnose heart disease until you have a full blown heart attack. I was just lucky that I had an MD that gave a s*** and sent me to a cardiologist the same day, and that the cardiologist didn't rely on the EKG when I was having obvious chest pain. You have to find out what works for you, because the MD's often have another agenda.

[This message has been edited by humanriff (edited 12-06-2002).]

Old 12-06-2002, 07:59 PM   #15
    32skater
    (female)

32skater HB User
    Libloom: How are you feeling by now? Any better or
    just biding time? As I told you, we have started on
    the policosanol along with the non flush niacin.
    Haven't taken it long enough to know anything yet.
    I have been off of the Tricor now for several weeks.
    Hope I made the right move, but don't want to stay
    on that stuff if I can handle it differently. I am
    in a "confused" state right now as to what to do.
    Guess I need to be patient and give it time. Hopefully I am right by doing this. We'll soon find
    out. Keep in touch. My Dr. does not know that I did
    this, but if it will benefit myself in getting off of
    the Tricor, that is all that is necessary. I, too,
    had done the Lipitor. Best to you, Dottie

Closed Thread