It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• super high triglycerides question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2003, 02:46 PM   #1
    tjdsp1

tjdsp1 HB User
    Unhappy super high triglycerides question

ok after reading a bit i am really starting to worry !! i guess that is why the doctor put me on lipitor imediatly. even though my liver tests were bad here is my results
    liver ast 48 alt 113 both bad .

my cholesterol
    total cholosterol 249
    hdl 32
    my triglycerides are through the roof 511 because they are so high they cant calculate my ldl

i am getting my blood checked again in 5 weeks to make sure my liver is still ok and to see if the 20mg of lipitor helps at all.

i am 31 years old and i weigh 216 but but i am 6'1" tall

I thought i was healthy until i went in for a routine checkup and this is what i have now ..

question 1 should i take SUPER OMEGA 3 OIL CAPSULES
    also to try to get this in line quick ?

do you think it is wise to take lipitor while i have elevated liver enzimes?

i have been on it for 1 week and the thing i notice the most is a very small pain in my back and sides nothing i cant live with . is this normal?

what should i do next?? i bought a treadmill and im running 20 minutes 4 days a week .

thanks
    tracy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2003, 04:30 PM   #2
    hunter44
    Inactive

hunter44 HB User
    You should always try diet and excercise for six months before drugs. The medical community recommends that first. It takes your body time to adjust to any lifestyle/diet changes. Although your trigs were sky high, they can run rampant after an extremely high carb meal. You are young, your numbers are not good but I have seen many people improve greatly through diet and excercise. TC is really not that high. HDL is a little low and Trigs are sky high. Do some research on why. High trigs directly correlate to high carbohydrate consumption. Carbs = sugar. Do you drink a lot of Soda? Breads? Potatoes? Pasta? Juices? If you are then you are driving your trigs up. Get a carb counter you will be supprised. Low HDL level? You are right to increase omega-3's. Also, excercise and increase your intake of saturated fat. With a reduction of simple carbs and an increase of saturated fat and excercise your numbers will improve greatly in six months to a year. Or, IMHO, you could stay on the statins for life, montitor your liver function, and live in pain. One of the better books for explaining the biochemistry behind it all is Protein Power LifePlan by Drs. Eades. There are several other books out that explain the effects of high carbohydrate intake/high insulion and lipid levels. Go to the forums and do some exploring. Good Luck. Too many doctors immediately prescribe the drugs, it's so much easier to say look how wonderful the drug is doing. You body makes cholesterol for a reason, and makes too much for a reason. Drugs don't look for that reason.

Old 05-08-2003, 04:38 PM   #3
    vipergg22
    Inactive

vipergg22 HB User
    Fail to understand why he would put you on lipitor for hi tri's , it's not particularly effective for that , would have though he would have put you on something like tricor for hi tri's and it will also lower totals too .

Quote:
    Originally posted by tjdsp1:
    ok after reading a bit i am really starting to worry !! i guess that is why the doctor put me on lipitor imediatly. even though my liver tests were bad here is my results
    liver ast 48 alt 113 both bad .

my cholesterol
    total cholosterol 249
    hdl 32
    my triglycerides are through the roof 511 because they are so high they cant calculate my ldl

i am getting my blood checked again in 5 weeks to make sure my liver is still ok and to see if the 20mg of lipitor helps at all.

i am 31 years old and i weigh 216 but but i am 6'1" tall

I thought i was healthy until i went in for a routine checkup and this is what i have now ..

question 1 should i take SUPER OMEGA 3 OIL CAPSULES
    also to try to get this in line quick ?

do you think it is wise to take lipitor while i have elevated liver enzimes?

i have been on it for 1 week and the thing i notice the most is a very small pain in my back and sides nothing i cant live with . is this normal?

what should i do next?? i bought a treadmill and im running 20 minutes 4 days a week .

thanks
    tracy

Old 05-09-2003, 04:29 AM   #4
    CobaltBlue
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CobaltBlue HB User
    Tracy,

I agree with both Hunter and Viper on those issues. Your LDL is probably not bad at all, the HDL is a bit low and the triglycerides are elevated by far.

Coming from a lipid profile that was similar than yours (well actually it was a little worse a few years ago), it was Tricor that brought the triglycerides down. I can't figure out (as Viper said) why you were prescribed lipitor.

Your initiation of jogging into your lifestyle will do a world of good as far as HDL is concerned. Thats the primary reason I was able to take my HDL from 25 to 70. Walking plus Niacin brought me to near 40 HDL. The last 3 months have seen my HDL go from 44 to 70, but I have been running a little over 3 miles a day, just about every day, since October last year. Incorporating fish oil into your diet will certainly help, as will a reduction in carbohydrate intake. After I lost my first 20 lbs, I was able to come off Tricor, and my triglycerides have continued to drop ever since, as I have kept exercising and losing weight.

Ulrich

[This message has been edited by ubernier (edited 05-09-2003).]

Old 05-09-2003, 04:34 AM   #5
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    tracy,

I strongly agree with all the above:
    1. lipitor is not needed for triglyceride control
    2. High TG often reflects a diet hight in high glycemic carb consumption and alcohol consumption.

Let me add one other:
    Often triglycerides, unlike LDL's and HDL's reflect what was eaten in the past day or two or even the last meal.
    Cutting down or eliminating simple sugars will quickly cure most situations of "high triglycerices."

Now in your doctor's favor:
    He started you on Lipitor because of your really risky ratio (actually accidental alliteration ) of Total Cholesterol to HDL's. Elmer Fudd would have a "weawwy wisky watio."

Normal and low riskis currently accepted to be about 4.0. Your 249/32 is nearly 8, which is judged in the highest risk category for heart disease.
    (I was started on lipitor with a ratio of 9.) I ASKED for the lipitor after seeing my numbers: 263/29

With Lipitor (10 mg), cod liver oil, and lecithin my numbers are now (2 years later) 163/59.

Make sure those liver enzymes are closely watched.

[This message has been edited by zip2play (edited 05-09-2003).]

[This message has been edited by zip2play (edited 05-09-2003).]

Old 05-09-2003, 08:45 AM   #6
    tjdsp1

tjdsp1 HB User
    Ok I have called my doctor but I haven't herd back yet . I eat way too much carbs! that is what I eat the most. bread pizza pasta - lots of pasta! so that I am sure is what has sent my triglyceride levels up so high . so I am going to ask the doctor if he will give me a month to see if I can bring the levels inline with some serious lifestyle changes .
    e.g. running 20 min 4 days a week and cutting my carbs way down - no more pizza or spaghetti . but it is way better then taking pills for the rest of my life ! I ordered c1540 Essential Fatty Acids
    Liquid FISH Oil with Omega 3 fatty acids from Carlson I figured I can get a higher dose from the liquid and that way I know it is getting into my body. I will take 1 tsp per day .

""Supplement Facts - Serving size: 1 tsp
    Amount per tsp % D.V
    Omega 3 Fatty Acids (from fish oil) 1600 mg *
    Antioxidant blend 14 mg *
    DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 500 mg *
    EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) 800 mg *
    DPA, ALA and Moroctic Acid (Omega 3 fatty acids) 300 mg *
    15 mg cholesterol per tsp
    * Daily Value (DV) not established ""

does that sound like a good dosage?

as far as lipitor does anyone have side affects like soar back and sides?

thank you all for your suggestions I hope to get my body in line ASAP..

thanks
    Tracy

Closed Thread