It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Policosanol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-12-2002, 10:27 AM   #1
    pcovers
    Veteran
    (female)

pcovers HB User
    Post Policosanol

I have posted this is a couple of other threads, but I wanted to start a thread under the name policosanol so that others might see it. I'd be interested to hear if others have had the same positive benefits as I have.

I take 20MG/day. Raised my HDL from a very low 31 to a still low but much better 41. Over the last 8 years, which included at least 16 lipid profiles, my HDL never went above 31. After 8 weeks of taking 20MG/day of policosanol the two most recent lipid profiles both indicated 41. Also lowered my LDL by 25%.

Very safe. Many, many clicial trials. No known side effects. Made from Sugar cane. Nothing works for everyone, but it is worth serious cosnideration for anyone looking to lower cholesterol without using statins or other prescription drugs.

Policosanol is a mixture of fatty alcohols derived from the wax of sugar cane. These active substances work to lower cholesterol levels by several mechanisms. It inhibits cholesterol manufacturer but does so prior to HMG-CoA reductase. In addition policosanol also exerts exceptional effects on LDL-cholesterol metabolism. Specifically, policosanol increases LDL receptor processing. It exerts this effect by increasing the binding of LDL to its receptor, improving the transport of LDL into the liver cell, and significantly enhancing the breakdown of LDL cholesterol. In addition to lowering LDL, policosanol has also been shown to increase HDL, protect against free radical damage to LDL-cholesterol, and inhibit excessive platelet aggregation.

The clinical studies have included short and long-term, randomized, placebo-controlled and comparative studies versus statins (lovastatin, pravastatin and simvastatin), fibrates (bezafibrate and gemfibrozil), acipimox, and probucol involving nearly 3,000 subjects. In these studies, policosanol in dosages ranging from 5 to 20 mg/day, has demonstrated significant improvements in LDL-C, total cholesterol, HDL-C, and the ratios of total cholesterol to HDL-C and LDL-C to HDL-C. Policosanol produces cholesterol-lowering effects within the first 6-8 weeks of use. At a daily dosage of 10 mg of policosanol at night, LDL cholesterol levels typically drop by 20 to 25% within the first six months of therapy. At a dosage of 20 mg, LDL levels typically drop by 25-30%. HDL cholesterol levels typically increase by 15 to 25% after only two months of use. The combined LDL reduction and HDL increase can produce dramatic improvements in the LDL to HDL ratio.

Go to the following site, sponsored by the US National Library of Medicine. [url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=PubMed"]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=PubMed[/url]
    Type in policosanol then press GO.

You will find a significant amount of peer reviewed studies on the effect of policosanol on cholesterol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2002, 12:18 PM   #2
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
    I am happy to hear that you have had considerable success using the supplement policosanol, and I have no doubt that there are many other people out there who can achieve similar benefits. It is a shame that, for the most part, mainstream medicine stubbornly and ignorantly continues in their pursuit to place more and more people on statin drugs, often unnecessarily. What is equally disturbing is the fact that there are a great many people who have absolutely no knowledge of the value that nutritional supplements may afford them, and are therefore at the mercy of their mainstream medical practitioner and the drug companies. Of course, there will always be people who will simply scoff at the mere mention of nutritional alternatives, but I also strongly suspect that a great many others would welcome such options. But the fact is, anyone who is interested in pursuing such options is unlikely to obtain any help from their doctor; they simply have to dig up such information on their own.

In the meantime, studies out of Europe and Japan appear to indicate that another supplement, pantethine, may have markedly favorable effects on blood-lipid abnormalities. In fact, in the spring of 2003, Daiichi Fine Chemicals, a producer of high quality, pharmaceutical-grade pantethine, will sponsor a clinical trial at the University of Minnesota, the first of its kind in the United States. The protocol of the study will be designed to allow the researchers to confirm the effects of pantethine supplementation on the various components of the blood lipid profile. Could be interesting indeed!

Old 10-12-2002, 01:18 PM   #3
    pcovers
    Veteran
    (female)

pcovers HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by ARIZONA73:
    But the fact is, anyone who is interested in pursuing such options is unlikely to obtain any help from their doctor; they simply have to dig up such information on their own.
    I have an excellent doctor that I have a lot of trust in. However, he had no clue about policosanol, or any other alternative to the traditional treatments.

I gave him half a dozen abtracts on policosanol and he was impressed. He said he would start taking it himself to see what results he might find.

Obviously not every snake oil product out there can eb trusted. However, good research can reveal a lot of otherwise missed opportunities.

As a side note, I pay $11/month for my policosanol. No big money to be made here so it will never see the forefront. It is real and it does work.

[This message has been edited by pcovers (edited 10-12-2002).]

[This message has been edited by pcovers (edited 10-12-2002).]

Old 10-12-2002, 03:59 PM   #4
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
    Thanks again for sharing your successful experience with us regarding policosanol. It is another option I will consider for my father in particular. He had stopped taking Zocor(40mg/day)back in June due to its associated side effects...muscle pains, weakness, fatigue, peripheral neuropathy. He feels somewhat better now, although he is still not 100%, and may never be. Right now, he is taking 1500mg/day inositol hexanicotinate. We are hoping that this will produce a favorable effect. If the next blood test (due to receive results next week) reveals that additional improvement is desired, then we will consider including pantethine and/or policosanol.

Old 10-13-2002, 06:24 PM   #5
    gorgon
    (male)

gorgon HB User
    I took Policosanol for several weeks and then began to feel the same muscle twitching and soreness that I had experienced with Lipitor. I stopped, so I don't know what it may have done to my Chol. numbers. I saw another comment on one of these sites that another person had the similar reaction to Policosanol as statins. I'm fraid there's no easy answers, but it's worth to keep trying.

Old 10-14-2002, 06:13 AM   #6
    pcovers
    Veteran
    (female)

pcovers HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by gorgon:
    I took Policosanol for several weeks and then began to feel the same muscle twitching and soreness that I had experienced with Lipitor. I stopped, so I don't know what it may have done to my Chol. numbers. I saw another comment on one of these sites that another person had the similar reaction to Policosanol as statins. I'm fraid there's no easy answers, but it's worth to keep trying.
    It is highly unlikely that the Policosanol was to blame for your symptoms. Policosanol has no relationship to a statin nor does it accomplish its objecties in the same way that a statin does. I don't doubt your symptoms, just that they were the result of policosanol.

There is a ton of peer reviewed literature and studies on policosanol at the site I included above. You may want to look at those.

[This message has been edited by pcovers (edited 10-14-2002).]

Old 10-14-2002, 11:34 AM   #7
    gorgon
    (male)

gorgon HB User
    You sound just like my doctor when I complained about muscle aches after taking Lipitor.

Old 10-14-2002, 02:59 PM   #8
    pcovers
    Veteran
    (female)

pcovers HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by gorgon:
    You sound just like my doctor when I complained about muscle aches after taking Lipitor.
    Of course, the main difference is that statins (e.g., Lipitor, Zocor, Pravachol, Mevacor, etc.) have a well documented history of causing muscle aches. Policosanol does not. Two completely different compounds that treat cholesterol in different ways.

I always say, never beieleve anyone if you can do the research yourself. I suggest a look at the site I posted above from the national library of medicine to help make better informed decisions about what might be appropriate treatments for yourself.

Old 10-30-2002, 04:47 PM   #9
    rnmcd
    Inactive

rnmcd HB User
    May I ask where you purchase your policosanol and what brand you prefer? The lowest price I have been able to find so far is $15 for 60, 10mg tablets.

Thanks!

P.S. Do positive results occur slower than results from prescription medications?

[This message has been edited by rnmcd (edited 10-30-2002).]

Old 10-30-2002, 06:38 PM   #10
    32skater
    (female)

32skater HB User
    Hi to Pcovers: Just curious, we wonder how you got
    your name, or can you tell us? Ha! We did go to the site today that you recommended for
    the policosanol and purchased that and than went back
    in and ordered "non flushing niacin". My husband was
    using time release niacin, but guess that actually has flushing, too, and the time release is not
    recommended too highly. He started doing the niacin
    about 3 months ago and when he went to get his
    physical the other day, his cholesterol numbers with
    the LDL and HDL had improved quite a bit. He does
    not carry necessarily high numbers, but was working to
    lower what he had. He did have some flushing tho' and
    did not like that. So we are going to try the non
    flushing niacin. I am on the Tricor, but would love
    to get off of, mostly just because. Would rather not
    take it if the policosanol might help. Got to figure
    out how to jostle that. Ha! Will probably continue
    for a time and than try to do without the Tricor after
    I am on the policosanal. Would love not to even be
    taking the non-statin. We'll see what happens and
    will let you know. Your help is very much
    appreciated. Thank you, Dottie

Old 05-22-2003, 03:31 AM   #11
    buckshot111

buckshot111 HB User
    Just started taking Policosanol a few days ago as an alternative to Zocor. After an hour or so I get a slight dryness in the mouth, but so far that is all. I'm only on the starting dose of 5mg, but with Zocor was put on 20mg and felt quite warm and drank a bit of water over the next 12 hours. I stopped taking Zocor after a couple of days thinking I may have been having a reaction (doctor said I was probably just coming down with a cold - not), then read all the data and decided that Zocor was not for me but Policosanol looked worth a try.

I will see what happens after 8 weeks or so ........

Old 05-22-2003, 05:42 AM   #12
    pcovers
    Veteran
    (female)

pcovers HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by buckshot111:
    Just started taking Policosanol a few days ago as an alternative to Zocor...I'm only on the starting dose of 5mg...I will see what happens after 8 weeks or so.
    I think you will find minimal benefits at 5mg. The taste of the pills are not pleasent, but I have never read about or experienced any "dry mouth" that you describe. I hope you had a chance to read through the many studies included at the site I posted.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-24-2003, 05:33 AM   #13
    buckshot111

buckshot111 HB User
    Thanks for the note. Well, I'm only taking one 5mg tablet/day because the box said to do so, and if the response was not adequate it can be increased to 2 tabs/day (10mg, which it says should not be exceeded).

According to a couple of the studies (thanks for the link BTW - great info there) the starting dose was 5mg for the first 12 weeks then 10mg after. I'll see how things are in 8 weeks or so. The dry mouth side might have been due to the fact that I wasn't drinking a lot of water when I initially took them. I have since seen something about drinking a full glass of water when taking one with the evening meal, and the symptom is hardly noticeable now. I have also found that eating something later (fruit etc.) helps too. Hey, I might even get adventurous and go to 10mg.

I'm going to have to buy them from the U.S. though - I can buy a box of 120 for what a box of 30 costs here :-)

Old 05-30-2003, 04:54 AM   #14
    Rig9300
    (male)

Rig9300 HB User
    My experience with policosanol is as follows:

I was on red rice yeast and switched to Policosanol (20 mg) for 3 months. My total cholesterol profile worsened considerably. Based on my results and research, policosanol works well for some people but is not effective for others. For me it did not work. I went back to RRY. I have been on it now for 3 years with good results and no side effects.

Old 06-01-2003, 10:19 AM   #15
    parismoon

parismoon HB User
    Question

pcovers-----Did you take the polocosanal with a statin???

Closed Thread