It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Oatmeal question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
    KATCSR
    (female)

KATCSR HB User
    Oatmeal question

I am trying to lower my cholesterol and know that oatmeal helps.. But I cannot stand the taste/consistency of oatmeal.. How do you get your oatmeal in for the day? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
    Re: Oatmeal question

I sprinkle jello from the box on the oatmeal (sugar-free jello) I used to mix jelly in it.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

I had a similar problem, but found two solutions:

Oatbran muffins
    Rolled oat shakes

The oat bran muffins (note: use oatbran, not oatmeal), are pretty tasty. The recipe I use is: 1.25 cups of skim milk, 1 teaspoon baking soda (aluminum free), 2 egg whites, 2.5 cups of oat bran, a bit of honey, cinnamon (I eyeball it), and one sliced apple. Cook at 425, for approx. 17 minutes.

It makes a dozen muffins, and I eat 2-3 daily. You can alter the recipe, of course... some people use brown sugar or add vegetable oil, but I find the above recipe good enough.

The other way I get oats is to make rolled oats shakes. To do this, you get rolled oats, and either grind them up and pour them into a small amount of juice, and stir. They more or less dissolve. Or... I take rolled oats, put in a liberal amount of frozen blueberries/raspberries, a bit of water, and mix it all in a blender. I can get 2-3 glasses of oat/blueberry shakes that way.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
    KATCSR
    (female)

KATCSR HB User

Thank you for the Oatbran Muffin Recipe.. I think I am going to whip those up tomorrow They sound very good

Old 08-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
    niknak77
    Veteran
    (female)

niknak77 HB User

Try oatmeal pancakes.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:15 AM   #6
    annmg
    (female)

annmg HB User

Hi...I had the same problem. I would never eat oatmeal until I found out about my cholesterol. So what helped me was to eat it with cold milk, not heated. I mix regular oatmeal with oat brand, some ground flax seed, cinnamon, and walnuts and put half soy milk, and half skim milk over it, and it is so good. I tried heating the oatmeal a few weeks ago, and I could not eat it. Something about warm oatmeal that bothers me. I have cherrios 1st this in the morning with a bit of soy milk (this way I avoid the sugar), and the rest skim milk, then later in the morning I have my oatmeal mixture. Hope this helps you.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:30 AM   #7
    KATCSR
    (female)

KATCSR HB User

How do you make oatmeal pancakes?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
    niknak77
    Veteran
    (female)

niknak77 HB User

Feel free to adjust this recipe to suit your taste and your dietary needs. It is pretty versitile, not to mention simple and quick.

Oatmeal Pancakes

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
    2 cups buttermilk (skim, soy or lowfat/fatfree buttermilk can be substituted)
    1/2 cup flour (whole-wheat flour can be substituted)
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    2 eggs, beaten (1/2 cup egg substitute or 4 egg whites can be substituted)
    1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
    1 cup blueberries (optional)

Stir together oats and buttermilk in a large bowl. Stir in rest of ingredients. Cook in 1/4 cup portions over medium heat in a non-stick pan.
    Top as desired.

Makes about 12 4" pancakes

Old 08-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
    KATCSR
    (female)

KATCSR HB User

Thank you, NikNak! I will be making these soon

Old 08-23-2008, 06:13 AM   #10
    jacal5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

I use an aluminum pie tin, and line the bottom with apple sauce and sprinkle oat bran, walnuts and cinnamon on top, spray the top with PAM and stick it under the broiler until the oat bran gets brown. It's easy and fast.

I read that oat bran is better for cholesterol control than oatmeal, since it contains more beta-glucan.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:07 AM   #11
    KATCSR
    (female)

KATCSR HB User

That sounds delicious!! How much oat bran do you use to make this?

Thank you

Old 08-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #12
    jacal5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

You're welcome!

My niece likes it, she asks me if I made "the pie" so she can come over and eat it for breakfast with me. As a matter of fact, today is her 13th birthday, she's a teenager now and is all excited about it.

Try 1/3 cup of dry oat bran, if it doesn't cover the applesauce try a little more.
    If I spread more than 1/2 cup of oat bran on the applesauce it's too much for me, I can't eat it all.

You can put butter or margarine on the top instead of spraying Pam, I try to make it less fattening. Sometimes I sprinkle a little orange juice on the top to make it more moist. You can add fruit to the applesauce, sliced strawberries are good.

I'm glad you want to try my "oat bran pie" recipe and I'm sure you will fine tune it to your personal taste. Make sure you watch it under the broiler so the oat bran on the top doesn't burn. It doesn't cut like a piece of pie, you have to scoop it out because there is no crust on the bottom.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #13
    Boomer2b
    (male)

Boomer2b HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KATCSR View Post
    I am trying to lower my cholesterol and know that oatmeal helps.. But I cannot stand the taste/consistency of oatmeal.. How do you get your oatmeal in for the day? Thanks
    The consistency is much better using the Old Fashioned (not Quick) oats, which are also better for you. I'm avoiding salt and sugar, so I use No Salt and Splenda to flavor it, and prepare it in the microwave by first boiling the cup of water by itself, then stir that into the oats-salt-sweetener mix right in the bowl, microwave covered for 4 to 5 minutes on the lowest power setting, and then sprinkle cinnamon on top. Really easy (no pot to clean) and tastes good to me.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #14
    tuffgy
    Inactive
    (male)

tuffgy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boomer2b View Post
    ....... microwave covered for 4 to 5 minutes on the lowest power setting, and then sprinkle cinnamon on top. Really easy (no pot to clean) and tastes good to me.
    Boomer, trying to address cholesterol problems with this method creates further more serious health problems. With proven facts, microwaves distort the molecular structure of food. They also destroy much of the nutrients, if not all and cause many other problems with the immune system over a period of time. There is talk, and probably soon proof, that they can cause cancer.

These machines always bring to mind a hospital nurse who only slightly 'warmed' up blood required for a blood transfusion in a microwave....Unfortunately, the patient died soon after administration.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-02-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
    niknak77
    Veteran
    (female)

niknak77 HB User

Umm...I beg to differ. Microwaves actually conserve the nutrients as they cook the food at a lower heat and with out adding significant amounts of water both of which destroy the nutrients in food. There are many studies which show that steaming or microwaving foods is preferable to boiling.

Closed Thread