It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• do i need medication for high triglycerides

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
    monica38
    (female)

monica38 HB User
    do i need medication for high triglycerides

recent lipid numbers:
    total cholesterol= 234
    triglycerides= 218
    LDL= 115
    HDL= 75.

My total cholesterol to HDL ratio is 3.1, which I've been told is good. But given my triglyceride numbers, do I really need to take meds?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
    tuffgy
    Inactive
    (male)

tuffgy HB User
    Re: do i need medication for high triglycerides

Hi Monica, and welcome.

No need to take medication for your readings, as long as the LDL particles are large.
    However, for the trig's which are slightly raised, try a 'high pure quality' omega3 fish oil. EPA should =>600mg and DHA should =>400mg per day. Depending on the quality, these figures can be obtained from two or three capsules (2gms or 3gms total Omega3.)
    Or/and a high Resveratrol content grape juice or red wine (one standard glass per 24hrs.)

More exercise, less or no sugar, and change any fats used in the kitchen for Virgin olive oil. After ten years of my better half cooking my fries in the stuff, I've just gotten used to the taste.

Taffyboyo.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-18-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 09-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
    Connie122516
    Veteran
    (female)

Connie122516 HB User

Triglycerides are generally not very responsive to medication: my cardiologist says he can tell who is eating right and who isn't by their trigylceride numbers.

They can be amazingly responsive to "white carbs," i.e. things made with flour, sugar, and in some people white potatoes, white rice, etc.

I could not get my triglyceride numbers into the normal range until I stopped eating wheat/gluten...but I don't recommend that approach for everyone. Start first with making sure you reduce/minimize the processed carbs are are eating enough fresh veggies, fruit, real whole grains, etc.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
    tuffgy
    Inactive
    (male)

tuffgy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Connie122516 View Post
    Start first with making sure you reduce/minimize the processed carbs are are eating enough fresh veggies, fruit, real whole grains, etc.
    Hi Connie,

Unfortunately, that approach will not work for people who have been following a religiously healthy eating habit for the majority of their lives.
    Here, I can think of one such candidate, my wife.

The wife of taffyboyo two years ago had high triglyceride levels that were fairly easily reduced without changing any form to her day to day diet. (Not as though she had too. Inherited condition, unfortunately.)
    Her trig' levels during September 2006 were 2.4mmol/L. I placed her on a Vitamin B complex formula, plus a daily Omega 3 intake. In December 2006 her trig's were 1.4mmol/L, and this could not be lowered any further using the above supplements.

Following her April 2007 lipid tests I researched and researched until we decided to opt for what I consider as being a balanced formula that reduced her Trig's to 0.8mmol/L.
    She dropped the B complex and started to take 2000mg Omega 3 fish oil with an EPA content of 600mg and a DHA content of 400mg, plus Allicin from garlic, but not just any old allicin from garlic.

The figures in mg/dl were 212.5mg/dl dropping to 70.8mg/dl. and thereabouts it has stayed.

A 66.66% drop of her triglyceride level has been achieved. Not bad hey?

Taffyboyo.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
    Connie122516
    Veteran
    (female)

Connie122516 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by taffyboyo View Post
    Hi Connie,

Unfortunately, that approach will not work for people who have been following a religiously healthy eating habit for the majority of their lives.
    I don't disagree with you at all!!!

The diet approach doesn't always work, but for people who have been eating the typical American diet (high in saturated and trans fat, high in processed foods, especially carbs, and low in fruit/veggies), it remains a decent starting point.

I had gi-normous triglycerides several years ago, which I wish my internist had paid more attention to...

I had already adopted a much healthier diet when I was diagnosed with a 99% blockage in my LAD 4 years ago, but my triglycerides were still up around 300 if I remember correctly. With Lipitor and Niaspan, and an even healthier diet (and some exercise; that is still my big problem), we got my LDL down below 70 and my HDL up above 40, but the best I could do with the triglycerides was 159.

THEN, for a variety of reasons, I started experimenting with a wheat free/gluten free diet. Within 2 weeks, my triglycerides were 129. And 6 months later, they were 106.

I wish I could take fish oil, but my cardiologist insists I stay on Plavix and aspirin because of my medicated stent (and I'm too chicken to buck him), but whenever I try even relatively small doses of fish oil, I turn into one huge bruise. (Risking a brain bleed is not my idea of a good time).

Maybe someday I'll convince him to let me switch out the Plavix for fish oil (without being in constant fear of a MI).

Old 09-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
    tuffgy
    Inactive
    (male)

tuffgy HB User

Hi again Connie.

Do some indepth research on 'allicin', to see if this would personally suit you.

'Allimax' is the 'rolls royce', but expensive, but over there in the US, a fairly good product manufactured by Natural Factors can be purchased, but does not have the high content purity, stability or allicin yield per milligram of garlic as Allimax.

Taffyboyo.

Last edited by tuffgy; 09-21-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
    steven2984us
    (male)

steven2984us HB User

How do u know if your LDL particulars are large or small? My test had no info on that.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:31 PM   #8
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

You'll need to ask your doctor for a prescription for a VAP lipoprotein test. I think there are two other types (NMR and Berkley), so those would be fine too. If your doctor balks at the idea, saying insurance won't pay for it, or some other nonsense, tell him that almost all insurances pay for VAP testing, and it's cheaper or the same price as normal lipid testing. If you still have a problem, simply get a new doctor.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
    Rick49
    (male)

Rick49 HB User

...a lot of times, triglycerides are elevated because of too much insulin being released because of high glycemic carbs. By following a diet based on the glycemic index, I dropped my tri's from 350 to 97. Last time I had them checked they were 77.

....As one person mentioned, their tri's were lowered by a gluten free diet. Wheat products are high onthe glycemin index as is rice and potatoes. But you don't have to eliminate the high glycemic foods. The diet teaches you how to mix and match the high GI foods with lower GI foods so that excess insulin isn't released.

...A common name for this condition is Metabolic syndrome.
    Rick

Closed Thread