It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• when should i know if i need to go on cholesterol medicine?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
    hairsjude4
    (female)

hairsjude4 HB User
    when should i know if i need to go on cholesterol medicine?

My total cholesterol is 232 My triglycerides are 88 hdl is 79 and ldl is 135. I'm not over weight, i exercise and I'm healty. I have no other medical problems. I'm 55 and for around 5yrs. now it's been going up and down, but not under 220. My father had heart desease and died of a heart attack at 65. Heart desease ran in my fathers family. My mom's is still alive and her cholesterol is good and shes over weight and never exercised and eats terrible. But her mom and aunts all died of strokes. My blood pressure is good. My doctor saids I should go on a cholesterol medicine. I don't know what to do. I really don't want to. Is it a risk if I don't. I had hepatitis when I was younger. Does that mean any thing with the liver? I need some good info. on this. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
    rudiraven
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
    Re: when should i know if i need to go on cholesterol medicine?

If I were you I would not take the statin. Your HDL is excellent as are your TRIs. There are studies that show cholesterol is not the culprit everyone makes it out to be. Picture cholesterol as a bandaid and it sticks to the places that are injured. The injuries are caused by inflammation in our ateries. Statins do lower inflammation but at a great cost. There are better ways to lower inflammation eg. high quality fish oil. You can ask for a CRP test to see if you have inflammation and go from there. Our bodies need cholesterol, especially as we age. Do some research before you make any decisions on putting drugs in your body. I wish you well.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
    hairsjude4
    (female)

hairsjude4 HB User

Thank you for your advice and information. What is a crp test and how is it done and why didn't my doctor check that for me. I never heard of it. I do take fish oil. Where do you get your information from? Are you a Dr.? You seem so informed. When should I go on a statin? And can you tell me all the side effects? Is it that dangerous to go on? Why do you think my Dr. is insisting that I go on it. He also said it helps with dementia, is that true?

Old 11-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
    majorse7en
    (female)

majorse7en HB User

Hello,
    I, too, am 55 years old and have high cholesterol. I really didn't want to go on a statin, but changed my mind and decided to give it a try. My doctor prescribed 40mg.of Zocor to be taken at night and after being on it for 6 weeks, my cholesterol dropped 50 points from 254 to 204. I plan to stay on it for one more month and then go off of it. I would like to keep it down with a healthy diet, vitamins, and exercise. I have not had any side effects from this statin as that was the main reason I hesitated taking it but a friend of mine had a terrible reaction to Crestor as well as Lipitor. I also dropped my cholesterol 15 points last year while on the Atkins diet for 3 months.
    Just thought I'd share my experience. Zocor seems to be mild but I don't want to take it long term.
    Good Luck!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
    rudiraven
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

First, let me start by saying that I am not a doctor or medical professional of any kind. I just do a lot of research before I embark on any medical protocol prescribed by doctors. It seems many doctors do not research the drugs they prescribe and just follow whatever the pharmaceutical companies and reps tell them. I understand that doctors are very busy and most do not have the time, however, some I believe are just in the "pocket" of the pharmaceutical companies. That being said, you have to decide for yourself if you wish to take a medication prescribed. I only suggest that you research thoroughly before making that decision. Many people do not show adverse reactions to statin therapy for many years, some have an immediate reaction. Everyone's body is different. Statin drugs inhibit the production of enzymes that are crucial to your body's functioning and if you do decide to take a statin be sure to supplement with COQ10 to help mitigate any damage being done. Statins have been linked to Transient Global Amnesia in some people, so I don't see how anyone could say it helps with dementia There are also studies that show that statins aren't helpful for women and elderly. Their primary testing was done on middle aged men with heart disease. I only suggest that you do some reasearch before you make a decision that you might regret later. Your numbers aren't bad and ask your doctor for a CRP (C-reactive protein)blood test to check for inflammation. I wish you well

Closed Thread