It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Help I am confused on triglycerides and Tricor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
    shine4u
    (female)

shine4u HB User
    Help I am confused on triglycerides and Tricor

I am scared out of my wits...I just got my cholesteral blood work back from my doctor. My triglycerides are at 380, HDL at 280, and good (LDL) is ok. I have been having numbness/pins and needles in my left arm, and hand, sometimes left leg and right hand for the last 2 months. The doctor wants me to take 146mg of Tricor..and I have been reading some scary things about this drug.

I am a 5' 9" female with a body fat of 27%...I think I eat well. No sugar, lots of wheat based foods and whole grains, lots of veg's- do eat meat, and love red wine. I power walk, and am not overweight. Since Tricor is metabolized through the liver... I am afraid to drink my wine (my only vice), and the fact that the doctor will check liver function after taking this stuff every few months throws up red flags. Also, my family history includes polycystic kidney disease (I don't have it...brother, father, grandmother, uncle and 1st cousin did/do). Is this a drug I want to mess with, or is there something else out there that would do me a better turn?

Thanks, your input is greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
    shine4u
    (female)

shine4u HB User
    Re: Help I am confussed on triglycerides and Tricor

Sorry, I think I misquoted LDL and my HDL. The LDL is at 280....and the HDL is ok.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
    Re: Help I am confused on triglycerides and Tricor

Hi Shine4U,

I hear your problem! My cholesterol was just checked everything turned out okay except for my Triglycerides (402!!!). That is after taking Simvastatin to lower them. Your LDL (which is your bad cholesterol is very high). My doctor wants me to start tricor to lower by trig's also, but I am kind of scared to take both a fibrate and a statin together. My Trig levels have been in the 400's for years and so far no problem, but my Dr. said there is a high risk for pancreatitus if my trig level doesn't come down. I also am not overweight. 5 feet and weigh about 120 lbs. Unfortunately, my body fat content is 36. I also love meat, especially BBQ T-bone steak and rib eye. I also drink alot of red wine and I think the combination of both is what is causing the high trig levels. After speaking to my Dr., a fibrate such as Tricor is usually well tolerated and as far as giving up your wine, well, statins do the same thing, they are processed in the liver and I continue to drink alot of it and my liver function continues to remain okay. If you do decide to take the fibrate and drink your wine, don't worry because as long as you are honest with your Dr., he will monitor your liver function. If it comes back bad, you will have to give up one or the other. I think usually your liver functions correct themselves after stopping the medication. I am not a Dr. or anything but just sharing my experiences with you. Stop worrying and try the meds.

missy222

Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
    shine4u
    (female)

shine4u HB User

Hi Missy,

Thanks for the reply...thanks for the info as well. I have done quite a bit of research on the internet about the cause and cure for the triglyceride issue. I opted to try a vitamin regimin instead of the tricor. I am going to do this for 3 months and then go back to get my blood work done (this May) again to see if it works. My daily regimin includes 9 omega 3's (9,000 mg), 4 garlic tabs, 3 panthenetic acid, 3 no flush niacin, 1 multi vitamin, 1 vitamin e, 2 guglipid herb tabs, 1 chromium, 1 1/2 calcium tabs. I split them up 3 times a day. I have had no problems the first month of taking them. If you freeze the omega 3's it does not give you fish burps, either.

I have cut out cafeine, wine (have had a couple of glasses over the past month), and joined the gym (work out 4 times a week) and am drinking quite a bit of green tea. So, with all of this change in lifestyle, I am hoping to accomplish my goal of lowering my triglycerides, and cholesteral without organ damaging drugs. If the vitamins don't work, well then, I will have to look at the other alternative of the drugs. I will post again to let everyone know how my blood work comes up in May!

shine4u

Old 03-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Shine4u,

Wow, that's alot of pills to take! How did you come up with the combination? I have been taking Krill Oil instead of the fish oils. They are suppose to be 3 times stronger than a regular fish oil supplement. I take 3 of them a day along with a multi-vitamin. I went to the health food store and bought a bottle of Cholest Off. It contains a high dosage of no flush niacin and other herbs that our suppose to lower your cholesterol and trigs, but I haven't taken any yet because I understand that niacin is also processed through your liver and can raise your liver function results. I am suppose to get my blood checked again next week, so I'll find out if the krill oil has helped or not. Good luck with all your vitamins. I'll keep you posted what happens with my blood results.

Missy

Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

I congratulate you on trying exercise and diet to alter your lipid values. But you do have rather elevated lipid values there, so medication may eventually be needed. Worth trying diet/exercise too though.

A couple of suggestions:

Ask for a VAP, c-reactive protein, vitamin D and homocysteine test from your doctor.

Diet changes -- I know this will sound radical, but for those of you with very elevated triglycerides and wish to avoid medications, pretend you have celiac disease. If you avoid all wheat products, and high carb foods, trigs will go down -- a lot. But you don't have to even be so radical, just reduce wheat and high glycemic foods, and the numbers should improve.

Supplements: Did you mean 9 grams of fish oil, or 9 grams of Omega 3s? As 9 grams of Omega 3s is very high, sort of eskimo levels, and that may compromise your immune system. If you meant 9 grams of fish oil resulting in something like 3 grams of Omega 3, that is fine.

No-flush niacin (Inositol Hexanicotinate) is worthless for cholesterol control. If you wish to try niacin, I advise doing it under a doctor's care, as it can elevate liver enzymes. Slo-Niacin or prescription Niaspan can help you avoid any flush.

If taking vitamin E make sure it contains all forms of E (alpha, gamma, beta, delta) and ideally tocotrienols too. Jarrow makes a 'FamilE' product that may be suitable.

Guggul should be taken under a doctor's care too, as it can interfere with lots of prescription drugs. So just be careful there.

If you wish to avoid medications, yet go the natural route, ask your doctor about red yeast rice. It's sort of a 'baby-dose', natural statin. It does still have some of the same side effects as regular statins (although usually less), so take it with CoQ10 too. But again, I always advise that people do these things under a doctor's care. If your doctor is adverse to diet/exercise/supplements, it may be time to get a new doctor.

Depending on risk factors, prescription niaspan, or a form of statin may be needed too.

Oh, and a previous poster mentioned 'CholestOff' -- I'd avoid it. Plant sterols will reduce cholesterol by approx. 10-15% in some people. But what happens is that the sterols just take the place of cholesterol when forming plaque. And plaque is the real enemy. So it basically just improves your numbers, but doesn't reduce risk of heart disease. Or at least there is no evidence to date it reduces risk.

Last edited by namelessme; 03-27-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:45 AM   #7
    shine4u
    (female)

shine4u HB User

Dear Namlessone,

Thanks for the input...trying to manage my health is more complicated than I thought! My opposition to doctors goes back to childhood (dad was ill since I was very young with polycystic kidney disease), which is alot of my reasoning to not take drugs that may compromise kidneys and liver.

Interesting what you suggested with the inositol hexaniacinate and liver function (I have been taking 1500mg a day for a little over a month now). And the Guggel...I am not taking any other medications, so I wonder if they are ok for me. The Omega 3's I am taking does amt. to 3 grams a day of actual Omega 3 (not 9). The doses I am taking a day are:

Omega 3 - 3 gr
    vitamin E - 150 IU (d-alpha tocopheryl acetate)
    kyolic garlic - 900 mg
    pantethine - 900 mg
    no flush inositol hexaniacinate - 1500 mg
    calcium citrinate - 1500 mg
    chromium picolinate - 200 mcg
    guggul - 75 mg
    multi-vitamin

My idea was to try this for 3 months, go back for blood work to see if it has helped. I am definitley looking for another doctor, as I don't like the one I have. I am the type of person that will go to a doctor only if I really have to. What started my awareness of a problem was that I had numbness and tingling in my left arm and fingers, and also sometimes in my left leg for about 2 months. The initial fear was heartattack or a stroke, so I went in to the doctor's for stress tests, echo cardio and vascular ultra sound. My heart was ok, but that's how I found out about my high trigs and cholesterol. It seems like since I started this vitamin regimin, the numbness and tingling has subsided, so that makes me think I am on the right track?

Another reason to avoid statins, is that since my family has a history of kidney disease (grandmother, father, uncle, cousin on dad's side, and my brother), and the fact that my Glom filtration rate is >59 (kidney filtration looks to me like it is on the cusp of problematic), and my glucose serum is 103 H. (Grandmother developed diabetes in her 50's - on mom's side, and I had gestational diabetes when pregnant..I am also 52 now). I did have the C-Reactive Protein, Cardiac test- which was 1.51 mg/L indicating average cardiovascular event in the future. All these tests were done before the vitamins, on 1/29/09.

I am thinking maybe I should make an appointment with a new doctor now, and get more blood work. I certainly don't want to cause more harm than good to myself. I had heard about the red rice yeast - the doctor that a friend suggested had prescribed that to her. So, I know that this potentially new doctor is receptive to a more homeopathic approach to health issues.

Again, I appreciate everyone's help and input. It's such ashame our bodies go south around 50...I have always been so healthy...or so I thought!

-Shine4u

Old 03-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Regarding statins and red yeast rice, red yeast rice naturally contains a compound that is the same as lovastatin.

Blood glucose at 103, if fasting, is considered prediabetes (65-99 is normal, >125 is diabetes, which is a major risk factor for heart disease); you may want to consider increasing the exercise and losing some body fat to try to keep it from progressing to actual diabetes. Also, changing your diet to reduce fast digesting carbohydrates in favor of slow digesting carbohydrates which tend to have more fiber, water, protein, and fat may help in this respect (e.g. a slice of toast and bowl of dry cereal tend to be faster digesting than a bowl of oatmeal and a bowl of beans or lentils; spreading peanut butter on the toast may also slow the digestion of the carbohydrates in the toast).

Last edited by tjlhb; 03-28-2009 at 08:09 AM.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
    namelessme
    Veteran
    (male)

namelessme HB User

I agree with tjlhb's comments.

Your glucose does look to be on the high side there. Ask your doctor for a glycated hemoglobin test (Ha1c), if you haven't had one yet. It will show your glucose control for the past 2-3 months or so. It can come in handy as an indirect way to roughly measure carb intake too.

If this was me, I'd severely restrict wheat products, desserts, and anything with a high glycemic load. And I know many people consider wheat healthy, or it's a 'healthy grain', but it really isn't. It is healthier to eat wheat bread or wheat pasta over refined bread/pasta, but it still isn't healthy.

Of you supplements, no flush inositol hexaniacinate is a waste for lipid control. It won't do anything there.

Look for a mixed vitamin E supplement instead of 150 IU of alpha only. When vitamin E is alpha only it suppresses gamma, which isn't so good.

Pantethine might help a little. Not a ton of studies on it, but there is some evidence it could help trigs.

Guggul should help, but I haven't researched that one very much due to the fact I can't take it anyway due to drug interactions. I do recommend you do your own research for this one and ask a doctor about it.

The aged garlic isn't a bad idea. It probably won't help lipids much, but so long as your stomach can tolerate it, it probably has other health benefits. There are a ton of studies for aged garlic and various health concerns too.

Three grams of Omega 3s is a good amount to try for people with elevated trigs. Split the doses up during the day, don't take it all at once. You may wish to look for higher potency gels though, just to reduce the number of pills you have to take. You are taking 300mg Omega 3/gel -- you can find 600mg/gel pretty easy and some go higher than that. Or you could go with a liquid, like Carlson's.

As for symptoms of numbness and tingling, there could be various issues there not related to heart health. You could see a neurologist, or perhaps it is pre-diabetes causing symptoms. If you see your cardiologist again, perhaps ask him for a calcium scoring, which will show if you have any plaque in your arteries. Avoid a full cardiac CT scan as a preventative test, which is sometimes mistakenly assumed the same as calcium scoring. Calcium scoring should be equivalent to 4-8 x-rays. A CT scan is way more radiation and does hold some long-term risks.

Oh, and make sure to get your liver enzymes tested during your next bloodwork. I don't think the things you currently are taking will affect your liver too much (besides maybe Guggul), but better safe than sorry. Best of luck there and hopefully the diet/exercise changes will work.

Last edited by namelessme; 03-28-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
    shine4u
    (female)

shine4u HB User

Hey, thanks guys...I will try to switch my diet around and go for the slow burning carbs. I have been eating breakfast since starting the vitamins (never used to eat it), but as I split up my doses to 3x a day, I eat with all of the times I take them. However, I am eating too much wheat products...looking for whole grain cereal products, Granola bars and wheat pasta when I eat it. I am now going to look for hypoglycemic freindly products. I have seen them in the supermarket. I am not a big fan of oatmeal, but love to eat a couple of pieces of celery with low fat peanut butter in the morning.

I am not overweight...had a health evaluation when I re-joined the gym. I am 5'-9" with a body fat ratio of 35%. According to the fitness evaluator, I am well below the normal range for females in my age group. I have always been active, and power walk on the beach 3 miles (weather permitting 2-3 times a week), and /or intersperse that with 2-3 days of water aerobics or nautiliss machines (exercise 3-4 times a week total for at least an hour a pop). But, yes, I want to loose 20 pounds.

I am going to start tracking everything I am eating too, so that should help.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #11
    deand
    (male)

deand HB User

I had tried Tricor in the past for high triglycerides and high cholesterol and it brought my numbers to where they needed to be. Down the line my liver numbers were up so I stopped.

I just started again on Tricor becuase my numbers are high again. I just got my results today and again all of my numbers are where they need to be including my liver. I will go back and check in a few months.

My thoughts are to try the Tricor only becuase it brings everything down to where it needs to be (at least for me). Monitor it closely with blood tests, any sign of liver numbers going up, you stop and look for an alternative.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Shine4u

I finally got my lab results back today. I was having a problem with my trigs running about 402. Well, after taking krill oil for the last few months, my new number was down to 276! I know that's still high, but I'll take it. The only thing I did different than before was to take the krill oil and I gave up my bagel and cream cheese for breakfast. I still eat a lot of bad food, especially red meat but at least I know I am on the right path. I hope my doctor wont be pushing tricor on me anymore. I am still on Zocor and I actually like taking it because my cholesterol numbers have never been so good, but my liver enzymes on this last test did raise some. I am still in the normal range, but high normal (ALT 31/AST30). This is not acceptable to me so I am going to try to get them down somehow. Anyone have any ideas???? I think with your diet change and all of your vitamins and fish oil, I'll bet your number comes down too! Good Luck!

Also, thanks to the last poster who shared their experience with Tricor. How high did your liver enzymes go before you quit taking Tricor? How long did it take before they came back down to normal?

Missy

Old 04-03-2009, 06:06 AM   #13
    shine4u
    (female)

shine4u HB User

Hi Missy,

That's great! Now I am encouraged that what I am doing will help. How long did you take the Krill oil before you went back for blood work? And, did your doc say it was ok to continue with the krill because of your results? I was going to wait until May to get the blood work re-done, giving myself 3 months on the vitamins and omega 3's.

Shine4u

Old 04-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Shine4u,

I have been taking the krill oil for a few months but missing a few now and then, but for about the last 2 months have been taking it on a regular basis, never missing a pill. Each krill oil is equivalent to about 3 fish oils and I have been taking 3 a day.

I have a Dr.'s appointment this Thursday to discuss the results of my blood tests with her. But I can say for the first time in a long time, I didn't get that dreaded call from the Dr. about bad blood results.

It really is amazing how much of what we consume can effect our overall health. I am going to start a strict diet this week and really cut back on the bad stuff.

I agree with you though, I am turning 50 in a few months and it really does creap up on you and bite you in the butt! I'm wondering if hormone levels might have any effect with any of these issues we seem to be having.

Also, forgot to tell you my glucose also came down from 99 to 93 so that's a good thing also.

So my advice to you is keep up on your regimen. I really am shocked about my results because for the last 4 years, I have had nothing but trouble with those cholesterol results, especially the trigs. I have full confidence it is going to work for you too.

I will let you know what the Dr. has in store for me this week, she's kinda of mean, thinking about switching, but I will see what happens. Talk to ya later this week.

Missy

Old 04-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #15
    New Choices
    (female)

New Choices HB User

My trigs were at 1620 four years ago. My doctor put me on meds to lower them and it worked but after researching them I found they had a risk of cancer so I stopped. I found a source that said lowering carbs was the trick. So I eliminated a lot of them. No sugar or flour (except WASA fibre). I don't crave any of it and I lost 70 lbs over the next 8 months. That was a few years ago and my cravings never came back and neither did the weight. And by the way, all of my lipids are in the normal range (including trigs).

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-09-2009 at 07:58 AM. Reason: do not discuss how to find websites.

Closed Thread