It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Muscle pain from statin drug -- please describe

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
    texasmary
    (female)

texasmary HB Usertexasmary HB User
    Muscle pain from statin drug -- please describe

Would someone please describe the type of muscle pain that sometimes accompanies taking a statin drug? Is the pain all over the body or perhaps just with muscles which have heavy use? Is the pain a dull ache or sharp or burning? I have been on Pravachol for almost six months and have been having lots of muscle and joint pain for the past two months. Just wondering if it could be the Pravachol. I am taking CoQ10 twice a day. It is really putting a damper on my exercise program, which I'm told is very important in bringing down my cholesterol and blood sugar. If I were to stop the Pravachol and if it is the source of my pain, how long do you think it would take for me to see a difference? Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
    rudiraven
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
    Re: Muscle pain from statin drug -- please describe

texasmary,
    Statin drugs are well known for causing muscle pain and in some cases cognitive impairment. It varies in intensity and location from person to person. I would not take a statin drug. Several studies have shown that statins are not effective for women or the elderly and that patients with lower cholesterol have higher mortality rates. Some people recover rapidly and completely after stopping statins, others take longer and in some cases there is permanent damage. Please do some research and decide for yourself. I wish you well

Old 06-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
    Lulubells
    Veteran
    (female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

All of the symptoms you described are symptoms I had on it, burning pain, joint pain, muscle pain.. I would back off of the working out or you could do some real damage.. I also has leg and foot cramps at night and TENDON damage. People on statins have been known to rupture tendons while doing just about nothing.. I also had the cognitive impairment and that is what eventually woke me up that all my problems were the statin drug!

How soon to recovery? For each it is different.. I am 3 years off and still suffering with tendon damage pain. The cognitive impairment was gone within 24 hours of stopping the drug, cramps and a lot of the other problems gone in 24 hours.. The joint pain meds I stayed on for 2 weeks after I quit the drug out of fear... it was HORRIBLE pain, but I did quit the pain meds and no more joint pain either. I also discovered I had unbelievable energy that I hadn't had in years.. the drug had stolen that a snippet at a time so I didn't notice it was gone until it came back with a surge! For each it is different though.. Some people the effects leave right away, some people it takes a long time, some never fully recover... Be warned, your doctor will think when you quit the meds, all side effects go away and they don't! It also is not safe to just suddenly stop, you have to wean yourself off.

Sad to say that doctors do not admit statins even do this to people, much less know what to do about it. I have had to learn on my own what to do to recover as best I can. Some doctors are waking up but it's to few and it's only since so many have already been damaged. Mine wanted to put me on another statin, saying they all don't do that but I had educated myself and knew if I took another one, it would come back and probably worse than before. I PROVED to him I could lower mine without his darn drugs and my cholesterol IS hereditary.

You are obviously one of the many "FEW" of us that can not take this class of drugs if your problems are what they are so soon into starting them.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
    texasmary
    (female)

texasmary HB Usertexasmary HB User

Thank you very much for your reply. With my doctor's approval, I stopped my Pravachol a week ago (did not taper off) and I will see him in about 2 weeks to discuss my progress. I think I am doing a little bit better already, and hopefully I can tell a real difference in the next two weeks. Thanks again.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
    Lulubells
    Veteran
    (female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

Good Luck in your recovery! Please use your time now to educate yourself on what to eat and what to avoid eating, all the hidden dangers out there in foods that say they are "Healthy" and what to eat to lower is naturally.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I was on Lipitor, 10mgs. for about 2 months and started having severe muscle pain in the legs. Naturally the Dr. told me it was arthritis, not the meds. but I stopped them anyway. He switched me to Baycol, and then the FUN really started. He had me take them just 3 days a week, still no help, so I tossed them in the pail. I was off them only 9 months when the big recall happened. It took me a good 6 months to feel halfway decent again.

My husband had been on statins for almost 5 years, had all sorts of problems but we never knew about the dangers of statins till I came to this board. Thank goodness I did, as I educated myself on those drugs and learned how to lower my numbers naturally. It was a lot of hit and miss with different suggestions from folks, but I did it, as did hubby. We have both told our new Drs., don't even think about putting us on a statin. Hubby still has some problems with his feet after 4 years of being off, so who knows if it will ever be right. One Dr. told me to find another Dr. if I wasn't going to listen to him...so I did!

Good luck, and be patient, everyone heals differently.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
    vickiec51
    (female)

vickiec51 HB User

I took provachol with zetia..as my dr freaked out with my cholesterol being 376...I freakd also and mine is hereditary. My son who was only 30 at the time they discovered his is a west point grad who wakes up at 5am runs 6 miles and eats very healthy as his wife is a health nut. he is taking cholestrol lowering drugs..I hate that..but..he doesnt have side affects. I took the provachol and zetia..it was the only one that took 2 months to actually hurt my muscles..when it did I knew it was the provachol because one (1) day on lipitor tore me up..I couldnt move..I was in so much pain and My brain was hurting and i couldnt think or even open my eyes...it took 2 days for it to wear off..and that was just ONE DAY on lipitor..then they tried me on something else and that took 3 days before the muscles hurt but it did...so i decided to not take anything..then a few yrs later..the really high cholesterol and i agreed to the provachol and zetia..I did it for 2 mos and it brought the 376 to 276..so 100 pts down..but i had to get off as my muscles in the bk of my legs hurt so bad..I felt good just getting it down to the 276..well, it stayed there till now..I went in at 304..so my new dr as I moved alot due to military assignments with my husband...now civilian retired..and I told my internest..have to see one as I have multiple problems..seizure disorder..etc..anyway..she put me on tricor.or should I say...TRICOR..ouch..well, within 2 hrs I had tight muscles in the spine and up to the head and my brain felt tight..it wouldnt let me sleep..then when I did eventually fall asleep..I woke early with this horrible pain in the lower back and just above it..and noticed my back leg muscles hurting really bad and my inner arm hurting..whoa..i went to pee and almost couldnt..finally did and went to drink water and had to go do the other thing..number 2..and noted that the bowel was whitish yellow..and hurt to go...so the pain in the lower back was from the bowel back there..and the pain just above it might be my kidneys...I only took ONE PILL...that was it..I didnt take another..I saw my dr that day because of another apt with her..and told her..and she said look...you cholesterol is so high you can handle a little pain or side affects...I looked her in the eye and said NO, I cant..I had been tried on several seizure drugs that almost destroyed my leg muscles to where i almost couldnt walk...the one Im on now.keppra...is great for seizures..it has some side affects ..but I take a lower dose than most and it works..but weakness and some muscle aches come with it..and mood swings...so adding this tricor Im sure didnt help that...plus ..I have IBS..yea...if you have IBS then taking anything that affects the bowel will affect IBS...I found out that TRICOR does affect teh bowel and that is why the bowel pain and the yellowish stool...man...all these meds do is complicate things and make them worse..my mom is a naturopath...she knows what to take..now they are trying to put me on blood pressure meds..I have white coat anxiety so my blood pressure goes up when I go in...my older drs knew to recheck me later and it was down..I forgot to tell this one as she is new...but she ordered some blood pressure pills for it..and I spoke to my mom and she said HAWTHORNE..and some other stuff...but I have problems with even natural stuff as well...so...i will wait till this awful pain in the lower bowel near the rectum goes away..as I PRAY IT WILL.. I dont like to hear SIDE AFFECTS BEING PERMANENT...as my seizures that i had only 3 of...were from taking an antidepressant and then trying to get off slowly with a drs help. I was given an anti depressant in place of an estrogen drug after a hysterectomy...so now I have to take a seizure drug..so be careful...just because an MD writes a script doesnt mean you have to be a dummy and just take it...THEY ARE NOT GODS.. just ordianary people who went to school and are doign what they were taught...but you have common sense and know your own body...also I trust in God and pray about things now..

Old 07-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
    vickiec51
    (female)

vickiec51 HB User

what is wrong with your husband's feet...i only ask becuase I have some numbness under both my feet but when i step on something or something is in my shoe..oh man i go thru the roof...I agree with you on that statin drug thing as i just left a post abt the drugs..there are some other drugs that act like statin .which i was fooled into taking..as the dr makes it seem like Im going to die right now from cholesterol overload...so, I agreed to take the TRICOR.. well, I wound up as its happening now..with lower back pain being in the bowel and kidneys...and leg and arm and spine and brain pain..most have gone except the leg muscle pain and the lower back bowel pain...I say bowel as my bowel changed to a whitish yellow and when I told my dr she said..yes that is the TRICOR ..it works in the bowel...i do have IBS...so it was intensified..and am now sitting here typing this with much pain in that area..mind you it mimmics having injured my tailbone pain... but I know its bowel...its like something is hurting inside..earlier I felt it more on one side then the other..I was told to drink tons of water and wash it out of my system...but...it takes longer to get it out of the bowel since that is where it works..Im praying that since I only took one...1....that it didnt do much damage....and will go away and that my kidneys wiill be ok...I cant seem to get enough water though and maybe that is a good thing to wash the sucker out..drs dont realizze...I was abt to tell mine when she said..to just continue taking it that it was better then a stroke from high cholesterol...to suffer the pain...what idiots...not just suffer the pain..how about permanent damage...I also felt a tightness in my heart...that is gone thank God but..get this .my blood pressure was up...it was high..145/100...I never have that ...I know it was the tricor....she ordered some blood pressure pills which I will get and let it sit and see how my blood pressure goes over a few days then start on a regimine of exercise and diet..if this other pain goes away..dont they realize that when they kill you with a drug that you cant perform the exercise etc...like my husband who is diabetic becuase of exposure to chemicals from veitnam...then metformin is the first drug ..which made him sick..and want to eat everything in site...slowly his weight went higher and higher..then he got worse..so they put him on insulin...well, he ate more and more as it causes you to be hungry all the time..now he is out of site over weight..and what is the first thing they say...GET THAT WEIGHT DOWN AND YOU WILL BE BETTER.. right...then dont give drugs that cause you to want to eat everything in site...I know it does becuase they tried me on it and I noticed it...I did want everything in site..so I got off..and it quit...I got something natural for type II something called glucobetic i think...and I ate right and took that and bang...from 6.1 to 5.8...I told my dr when I went back...and he saw it was good and I said forget metformin...Im taking a natural supplement..and he got upset....they get kickbacks from the pharmacueticals...now that is not to say all drs are bad adn all meds are bad...i take meds...keppra...have to..we just need more investigation and a good dr that cares abt the patient ...one that LISTENS MORE CAREFULLLY....

Old 08-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
    grjoga
    (female)

grjoga HB User
    Angry Re: Muscle pain from statin drug -- please describe

Hi, I too have severe pain in my right leg (calf, thigh & foot) from taking Zocor,
    Zetia and Lipitor. I have been off all statins for 6 months now but I still have severe pain if walking for an hour or less. I asked my md and of course, like everyone else said, he denies that it is the statins. WHY won't your own doctor admit the problems with these drugs and try to help you?

Old 08-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
    Imacarbuff
    (male)

Imacarbuff HB User

It can take a very long time to undo the damage that a statin has caused-been there, done that-a few times.
    For me, statin pain was more of a burning with a buzzing or almost a vibration feeling. Very weird and I don't ever want to go down that road again. I think once a person has problems with one statin, they will have problems with all of them eventually.
    Good luck

Old 09-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
    anon2239
    (female)

anon2239 HB User

I am really ticked about this. My heart doctor put be on a statin drug in June of 08. In January of this year I noticed that my right arm from the elbow to the shoulder was achey. Thought it was being on the computer and holding the mouse! Yea! March 11 I got in bed, the nightgown was kind of under the butt, lifted butt, pulled nightgown with right arm.....torn rotator cuff!!!!! Hurt like hlle. When to clinic next day, they took xray and were to schedule MRI. That is another story, but finally in April I got the MRI. Horrific tear is what I was told. Nothing about statins. I mentioned that the left arm was hurting, my legs, my feet, my back, everything! I fell in early May and of course hit the right shoulder on the arm of my computer chair. Had to stop PT for a while. Read a bit about rotator cuff tears and was trying not to have surgery. Then about a month ago my heart starting having spells, really fast. Then the urine got real dark. Have seen 4 different doctors, my reg one, the one at the clinic, the bone & joint doctor, the heart doctor....do you think any of the told me about statins? NO, and everyone of them knew what my drugs were.....a blood pressure bill and Lovastatin. I am ticked!!! I stopped 2 weeks ago yesterday. Still hurting, got a heart monitor on. Can hardly walk, having trouble pulling my slacks up after going to the bathroom. All kinds of things. Did get my husbands walker out and it does help some. I just want this pain to stop!

Old 09-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
    Chrispy1
    (female)

Chrispy1 HB User

Some of you have blood sugar problems and one side effect of statins is diabetes

Old 09-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #13
    Chrispy1
    (female)

Chrispy1 HB User

I know people who quit their seizure medication and initially had more seizures but then had far less than when they were taking it . Epilepsy drugs actually damage the brain

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-13-2009 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Closed Thread