It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• how bad is LDL 217 for me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
    ann06
    (male)

ann06 HB User
    Unhappy how bad is LDL 217 for me?

Hi iam new here,
    i tested for cholestrol yesterday and result came high cholestrol and LDL and low hdl (((
    cholestrol 268
    LDL 217
    HDL 36

iam 27 years old male i play sport and have an athletic body, am i at a high risk here? a month before my uncle died at 36 years old heart failure i inherited this from family but he had higher levels of all

i started to take lipitor doc gave me 40 mg lipitor but i will split to 20 mg shall i do this ?
    no other solution guys no new meds i would preferred diabetes to this at least there is insulin you can control by.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
    Re: how bad is LDL 217 for me?

High LDL, low HDL, and family history of heart disease indicate high risk.

Be glad you don't have diabetes, as that is a major risk factor for heart disease and various other problems (kidney failure, eye damage, etc.).

You may also want to consider your diet. Trans-fats from hydrogenated oils raise LDL and lower HDL; avoid them (note that hydrogenated oils may be used to fry things in restaurants, so be careful). Saturated fats (common in red meat and dairy products) also raise LDL, although they raise HDL to a lesser extent. Unsaturated fats, common in most plant fats other than coconut and palm oil, may help lower LDL; monounsaturated fats may be preferable to polyunsaturated fats, because the latter may also lower HDL.

If you have any excess body fat to lose, you may want to try to lose it, since more body fat tends to increase LDL levels. Increasing exercise tends to raise HDL (try to play sports more often).

While the above measures may help, some people are unlucky and still have poor blood cholesterol numbers (though not as bad as they would be if they ate poorly, did not exercise, and got fat) despite doing everything they can with respect to diet, exercise, and keeping the body fat down.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
    ann06
    (male)

ann06 HB User

i have an aunt and an uncle died before completing their teenage cuz of cholesterol and another uncle who died recently not reached 40, he was a big loss for the family most valuable person to us all, his cholesterol was always above 800 may be 1000 also and there was sacs sagging at his joints like golf balls cuz of lipids i think.
    i have to fix the diet i admit am eating more fried food from rests cuz am living alone and these they use may be the cheapest oil which they will change at xmas only, which i did just before the test by 8 hours had a luanch there.
    thanks for the advice but regarding nuts usually its kind of nuts that are heated up in oven i think and may be little fried to make crunchy taste does these will harm and they only should be raw?

Old 07-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Roasted nuts should be ok. Avoid those coated with added sugar or other bad things.

While your sports and athletics may be helping your blood cholesterol levels considerably (268 versus your uncle's 800), you should still discuss this with your doctor, since your current levels are still considered risky (very high LDL, low HDL). You may want to get a more extensive test showing such things as Lp(a), LDL particle size, HDL particle size, etc. so that you and your doctor can better assess your risk. It is possible that you may still need to take drugs to bring your cholesterol levels into a range that is not high risk (though even in this case, exercise and healthy diet should make it manageable with less drugs than if you did not exercise, ate unhealthily, and got fat).

Last edited by tjlhb; 07-07-2009 at 11:59 PM.

Closed Thread