It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• High LDL

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
    chalsice
    (male)

chalsice HB User
    Question High LDL

My HDL is 47.2 mg/dl
    LDL is 176.4 mg/dl
    VLDL is 31.4mg/dl
    Trigycerides 157mg/dl

I am not able to understand how my LDL is high when triglycerides is less and HDL is more than 40md/dl
    the report shows total Cholestrol as 255 md/dl

I am asked tro go on statins which i do not want to due to the side effects on liver.
    Pls advise

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
    Re: High LDL

For lowering the LDL, have you tried cutting back on saturated fats (common in fat from dairy and red meat, as well as coconut and palm oil) and trans fats from hydrogenated oils (common in margarine, shortening, and other processed vegetable oils like vegetable ghee)? Consuming unsaturated fats common in nuts and most liquid vegetable oils (not coconut or palm oil, not hydrogenated) may help.

For lowering the triglycerides, try cutting back on consumption of sugar, simple carbohydrates, and alcohol.

For raising the HDL, try increasing exercise.

For all of the above, lose body fat if you have any excess.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
    chalsice
    (male)

chalsice HB User
    Re: High LDL

\thank you
    I am off all non veg from past 9 months (but my LDL has gone up from my last reading).
    I take once or twice for breakfast one egg-bullseye
    I eat as non veg only fish (not fried)
    I am a teetotaller.
    I dont eat processed food
    I dont take butter or even milk(sacrificed from past 1 and 1/2 year)

My diet contains a small amount of palm oil( unable to cut or prevent since my caterer uses this forsaken oil )since no fried items etc the amount of palm oil i consume is really smallamount.(may be i have to see after i get out of this place )

One interseting item is that coconut oil is actually good for health(the fats in it are actulally good fat,it was misled by American heart foundation long back to save the local oils aganist the import of coconut oil-they have admitted this now-chk internet)
    Though of course i am not on cocnut diet.

I do excersice half hour daily +1 hr brisk walk(5 kms)

I feel giddy when i get up from sitting position-ecg is normal but my BP is 130/95 ( am having BP from my 25th year-now i am 44yrs)
    Am taking coaprovel300/12.5 in the morn+amilodipine 5 mg in the evening

Closed Thread