It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Simvastatin and low sex drive

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
    Worrybucket
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
    Simvastatin and low sex drive

Ive posted before but thought this a better place.

My Husband has gone right off sex, and it started the same time roughly he started simvastatins. Does anyone know if these drugs lower sex drive? He has no desire whatsoever and told me it isnt me at all, he just doesnt feel sexual. Im hating it !! its been almost 3 months now and im used to sex with him at least once a week. HELP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
    Lulubells
    Veteran
    (female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User
    Re: Simvastatin and low sex drive

Statins are the best killer of your sex drive on the market today. Low labito is a well know side effect.. mine wasn't just low, it was completely GONE!

Believe your husband, it isn't you, it's the drug.

Statins are not the only one that will kill it so beware of any medications, do your homework.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
    Worrybucket
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

He only takes statins. So it cant be any other medications. I didnt realise it killed the libido. Any guys wanna contribute? be good to see it from a male point of view. thanks.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
    Fizzickle
    Veteran
    (male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

Well, I'm a guy and take simvastatin in high doses (80 mg).

Believe your husband; from my experience, it tends to do away with desire and with the ability to perform.

And it's embarrassing as all get out to the male.

Has he had his testosterone level checked?

Old 10-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
    Tenacious
    (female)

Tenacious HB User

How long on the simivestatin? And at what dosage before you noticed a change?? Ok, I am the wife of a man who takes 20mg simivestatin daily (he is 45 yrs) -- he was taking 10mg a day or every other day before this, He is accually prescribed 40mg a day, but I think this is overkill, so he cuts them in half (his numbers were decent even with 10mg a day anway, but could still be improved so we do the 20mg a day now). Anyway, for the past 2 months he has been on this, so far, he is fine. I will admit my sex drive IS higher than his but he rises to the occsion 4-5 times a week. I am hoping this will not change! Finding this post has me worried now! It is a known fact that testosterone is what causes DESIRE, and cholesterol is needed for healthy testosterone production, so therefore it makes sense for statins to possibly lower Test levels, but as men age, these go down anyway slowly. They do not have this listed as a side effect though, I do not think anyway--does anyone know??

Old 10-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Simvastatin has been reported to cause sexual dysfunction more than other statins. The statins called Pravachol and Lescol are less likely to cause sexual problems. All statins at low enough doses should not cause these problems. Years ago I took 10mg of Lipitor and did not have any problems, but the muscle and joint pains were horrible. Since then I've been on Lescol and currently 10mg of Pravachol with no problems.

Last edited by ACE28; 10-08-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #7
    Worrybucket
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I will talk to Hubby and see if he can change the statin, maybe a different one will be less harsh on the libido.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
    Tenacious
    (female)

Tenacious HB User

Now I am junkie about looking up information about simivestan & sex drive and I must say I have NOT seen on the net anywhere saying that this statin more affects Sex drive than any other, in fact, in my research I have read the opposite-and felt somewhat relieved & happy this is what he is on. I did find alot of complaints about Lipitor -more than any other. I did do a search on Pravachol & found it can cause the same thing that all statins do, a lowering of the sex drive. UNfortunetly I can not provide you with any links here (rules of health boards). I have come to the conclusion, they all have the possiblity to lower Drive, but how it affects every man is different --depending on his personal Testosterone level, how much statins he takes, how his arousal level may be (a man can get an erection with low Test, even enuchs in the Bible was able to satisfy the Kings wives), crazy , but so they claim it is true. A shame statins are so good at helping the blood vessels down there be clear & free for blood flow, but then lowering the testosterone to help with the "desire" to make that blood flow!

Last edited by Tenacious; 10-09-2009 at 07:54 AM. Reason: corrected word

Old 10-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I can't provide links on this site but if you search out the generic name of the drug which is "Simvastatin and Impotence" The well respected medical journal BMJ, described how Simvastatin (ZOCOR) caused ED and Fluvastatin (LESCOL) or aspirin does not. Pravachol has been known to increase morning erections in some research studies. In my experience Lipitor at reasonable doses does not effect sexual functioning, but with the negative side effects, your lucky to function at all.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Worrybucket View Post
    I will talk to Hubby and see if he can change the statin, maybe a different one will be less harsh on the libido.
    Lescol being the best as I mentioned in the link regarding "Simvastatin and Impotence". The problem with Lescol is, it's not as effective in lowering cholesterol and is the weakest statin of them all. Doctors do not prescribe this statin very often. It is also more expensive because it is not generic.
    Pravachol is the next weakest statin. The best things about both these 2 statins is their are very few interractions with other drugs, and no grapefruit interractions. Drinking grapefruit juice with all the other statins can cause toxic drug blood levels causing muscle breakdown.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #11
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Speaking of Testosterone level, Simvastatin is known to cause a decrease in testosterone (mainly androgen levels) and male breast enlargement. Pravachol, Lescol, Fenofibrate and other cholesterol drugs do not show this side effect. Based on this research, we can draw our own conclusions if an alternate lipid lowering drug is worth trying.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
    yackedar
    Veteran
    (male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ACE28 View Post
    Speaking of Testosterone level, Simvastatin is known to cause a decrease in testosterone (mainly androgen levels) and male breast enlargement.
    Thanks for this info Ace. I wasn't depressed, until now.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:25 AM   #13
    pickinpox
    (male)

pickinpox HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Worrybucket View Post
    Ive posted before but thought this a better place.

My Husband has gone right off sex, and it started the same time roughly he started simvastatins. Does anyone know if these drugs lower sex drive? He has no desire whatsoever and told me it isnt me at all, he just doesnt feel sexual. Im hating it !! its been almost 3 months now and im used to sex with him at least once a week. HELP
    I take 20 mg of Prilosec and 40mg of Pravachol each day. My drive went away over the last year. I am 55, male. I am presently seeking info on two drugs to substitute for these that will not cause loss of sex drive.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:37 AM   #14
    Tenacious
    (female)

Tenacious HB User

Please let us know if your Doctor will even "acknowledge" the fact that Cholesterol drugs can have this effect-- and if they recommend or prescribe anything different ??

Old 12-31-2009, 07:50 AM   #15
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pickinpox View Post
    I take 20 mg of Prilosec and 40mg of Pravachol each day. My drive went away over the last year. I am 55, male. I am presently seeking info on two drugs to substitute for these that will not cause loss of sex drive.
    A proven cholesterol fighter which definitely does not cause sexual dysfunction is "NIASPAN". This is an extended release version of the vitamin Niacin. It's the only remedy currently available which can increase HDL levels almost 40%. It also lowers all other cholesterol values. I take an immediate release version called "NIACOR" at 3,000 mg. a day and a very low dose of Pravachol at 10 mg. a day. NIACOR is much cheaper than NIASPAN but the main side effect which most cannot tolerate is a hot burning flush on the face and arms, mainly in the beginning. This is really excellent for increased blood circulation, and I mean everywhere. NIASPAN does not cause this flush as much. NIASPAN is taken mainly in the evening at bed time.

Closed Thread