It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Zocor and muscle damage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
    Zocor and muscle damage

Hi, I've been taking Zocor for about three years now. In the last few months I have been having extreme aching muscles. I thought it might just being getting old (I just turned 50) and shrugged it off. A few weeks later I could barely climb my stairs to get to my bedroom. About 3 months ago I decided to quit taking Zocor without consulting my physician. My muscle aches seem to be getting better, but my muscles seem to be weak. For example, if I were to do a bicep curl, my upper arm muscle seems to vibrate. Sometimes my upper thighs just shake to stand. Anyone else ever had this problem while taking Zocor? I don't understand why I could be on this drug for 3 years and all of a sudden have muscle problems?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
    thisworld
    Veteran
    (female)

thisworld HB User
    Re: Zocor and muscle damage

just yesterday my friend shared with me. she purposely stop taking her zocor. and she said she can see the biggest differences in her. she feels great. i told her i didnt know if she should go cold turykey with her meds. im not on anything . hate meds. trying to lower my with life changes. so this is a side effect. because she has complaine about joint pain for awhile now. and since iv been on this board. i shared that with her . how high is your. be sure to check with your doctor. maybe there is something else go on. again im good about meds. do you take fish oil??????????/ they say that is good.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Thanks for the response. My aches are mainly in my muscles not so much my joints. Since quiting Zocor, I weaned myself off of it, i do feel somewhat better, but not what I would like it to be. My overall cholesterol was around 320 when they put me on Zocor, and after taking it for a few months it went down to 200. I do take krill oil which is stronger than fish oil and it does help, especially with my triglicerides. I am glad that your friend feels better, I hope I do soon!
    Missy

Old 10-21-2009, 04:23 AM   #4
    thisworld
    Veteran
    (female)

thisworld HB User

what is your trigs. and also your hdl, ldl. been told that is as important too. doing alot of reseach on this now. very confusing to me. thanks for any help. when i say joints it might be her muscles. will ask today. but she is still feeling so good. how much where you taking a day. are you over weight. iv gain alot . my hubby pass last Nov with lung cancer and during his sickness i ate so much. but lost 15 so far and going to the gym. and was told my blood pressure was a little high but since iv been excersing so far so good. thanks faye

Old 10-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Faye,

Here are my numbers before I started taking Zocor:

Total Cholesterol: 314
    Triglycerides: 409
    HDL: 69
    LDL: 167

After taking Zocor

Total Cholesterol: 227
    Triglycerides 402
    HDL: 62
    LDL: 109

My results after taking Zocor with Krill oil

Total cholesterol: 231
    Triglycerides: 276
    LDL: 100
    HDL: 75

I do believe that krill oil or for that even fish oil helps alot with Triglyceride levels. It also helps me with my mood swings. MegaRed krill oil is not just available online, you can pick it up over the counter at several major drug stores. I was taking 40 mg a day of Zocor. Doctor wanted me to take 80mg but I refused. I am about 20 pounds overweight and I know i don't eat the right foods like I should!!! Hope this helps, take care!
    Missy

Last edited by missy222; 10-21-2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 10-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
    Neil H
    (male)

Neil H HB User

I am 49, and a keen cyclist. I have to take Lipitor to fight high cholesterol levels as well. I also seem to be experiencing muscle weakness and aches. I believe these families of drugs act on the function of the liver which produces a level of cholesterol naturally. Apparently the liver is also responsible for the creatine levels in your muscles which if this is reduced can cause weakening and aches and pains. My doctor had me do a simple blood test to establish if my creatine level was low. My levels appear to be normal but I am halving the dose of lipitor to see if the symptoms ease. This reaction to these drugs is widely discussed on the net. Will be interested to hear if this is of any assistance to you.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Neil H,

Thanks for the response. I am glad to know that I am not the only one suffering from these statins. How long have you taken Lipitor? I understand that these statins affect the liver by blocking the natural way it produces cholesterol, but I have never heard about creatine levels in the liver. I thought the creatine levels were the result of kidney function? Since taking Zocor, my creatine levels went from excellent to Stage 2 kidney disease!!! What's with that??

Hope you feel better soon.
    Missy

Old 10-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #8
    Neil H
    (male)

Neil H HB User

Hi Missy, I may not be 100% correct when I said the liver affects the creatine levels, but was "definitely" told by my doctor that using statin style medications can sometimes impact on the creatine levels in your muscles. Most people are unaffected; however some have severe muscle aches and loss of strength, especially in the leg muscles. I took lipitor 40 mgs for 2 months and immediately noticed legs pains so reduced to 20 mgs per day for last 4 months. Still feel my strength and stamina is reduced dramatically and suffer from calf muscle aches, at nights especially. I have currently stopped taking lipitor and am going to see if things improve. If my cholestorol level goes back up again I suppose I'll be looking for alternative meds. Have also started taking glucosamine with chrondroitin and fish oil mornings and evenings. I am 178cms and 76 kgs so definetily not overweight. My parents both have high cholestorol problems and take statins to keep them in check with no side affects. Murphy's law! I would talk to your doctor and see if he or she can give you an alternative. We have to look after the cholestorol levels but at what costs. I believe there is a drug called Crestor which is equivalent to 5 mg dosage of statin and less likely to cause the aches.
    Good luck! Neil

Old 10-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Neil H,

Thanks for the response. Hope your muscles get better! I have been off Zocor for almost 4 months now and I do feel some relief but it certainly is not the same muscle strength I use to have. I know that my cholesterol too will probably shoot up again and I am do for a blood test this month, but I am really scared to go in because I know it is going to be very high. I have seen alot of posts where people have gone of their statins and there numbers rose dramatically. I've heard that CoEnzyme Q-10 helps when you are taking a statin and it helps to rebuild muscle strength. I am going to try some of that and see if I see any improvement. Good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon.
    Missy

Closed Thread