It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Stopping statins and starting red rice yeast?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-14-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
    juan motime
    (male)

juan motime HB User
    Stopping statins and starting red rice yeast?

I just stopped taking lovastatin (5 mg every other day) after only two weeks. I had the same side effects as I did from Lipitor, Crestor, Zocor, and Pravachol--mostly severe neuropathy in feet and toes, knee, hip, and thumb base joint pain.

I have a question for anyone who might fall into a certain category.

Has anybody who posts here been forced to stop taking all statins due to side effects, and then begun taking red yeast rice with success?

By success, I mean that you are able to take it with minor or no side effects, and that your cholesterol numbers have improved significantly over time.

If anyone took statins and had to stop, then began red yeast rice and had side effects that made you stop taking it, please let me know what those side effects are.

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-14-2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
    yackedar
    Veteran
    (male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User
    Re: Stopping statins and starting red rice yeast?

RYR studies:

Out of the thousands of participants of numerous controlled studies, only one reported muscle problems and this could be that that person was also taking prescribed medication.
    Common side effects are dizziness, low appetite, nausea, stomach-ache and diarrhoea. However, if taken during an evening meal, many of the above can be overcome.

Several members of this board have had superb reductions of their LDL and Trigs by taking 600mg Nature's Plus extended release RYR with their evening meal. This includes my wife, who is currently taking 300mg daily. The latest member reporting success with RYR is WCG.

Please see some of my other posts on this subject. Very informative historical information is also contained here if you type 'Red Yeast Rice' in the search field at the top of this page.

Last edited by yackedar; 11-15-2009 at 10:47 AM.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
    thisworld
    Veteran
    (female)

thisworld HB User

if we are taking many other things to help lower numbers like krill oil, garlic, niacin, grape seed. should keep adding other things like red yeast rice. not done any research on this. thanks for any information you got. dont want to go on statins. too many people dont like it. thanks a friend in North Carolina

Old 11-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
    yackedar
    Veteran
    (male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

Disneyworld,

Please see some of my other posts on this subject. Very informative historical information is also contained here if you type 'Red Yeast Rice' in the search field at the top of this page.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yackedar View Post
    Disneyworld,

I have been taking RYR with absolutely no problems and have lowered my LDL. However, I have several friends who have attributed increased muscular pain to starting RYR. One of them is using Nature's Plus. I don't know what to make of this. Has anyone heard of this being a side-effect? Of course, it's possible their pain is due to something unrelated.

As an added note, I take my RYR with 400 mg. COQ10 as I have been reading this is a more effective amount to be taking with this product.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
    yackedar
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi Jen,

Out of all the hundreds of RYR studies, only one participant reported muscle problems, and this was attributed to this person taking other medication.

Like all drug and herbal trials, just because certain side effects don't emerge during these trial periods, does not mean that they don't 'surface' with certain people following trials. This has been the case following a great many pharmaceutical double blind controlled studies.

As Nature's Plus contains 1.7% monacolins, being 10.2 mg per 600mg tablet, it is a very potent monacolin based compound. If your friends are taking more than 600mg per day, then advise them not too, as it is unnecessary.
    Alternatively, advise them to switch to the Source Naturals product, which produces 1.5% monacolins, being 9mg per 600mg tablet. Once again, no more than 600mg per day with the evening meal.

The extracts from RYR contain starch, sterols, isoflavones, and monounsaturated fatty acids. Depending on the Monascus strains used and fermentation conditions, it may contain polyketides called monacolins.
    The drug lovastatin acts in a similar fashion to one of the RYR contents, 'Monacolin K'. However, the amount per volume of 'monacolin K' in red yeast rice is small (0.2% per 5 mg) when compared to the 20–40 mg of lovastatin available as a prescription drug.
    So, based on the above figures, such a weak content of 'lovastatin' in RYR would probably not be able to create muscle problems.

'Monacolin K' is no longer included in the production of RYR for the US market (but is for the European and Asian markets) so that rules out any Lovastatin content of Nature's Plus creating your friend's muscle problems.

So, what's left?
    Well, there are thirteen other 'known' monacolins, several of which are present in certain formulations of RYR. None of these to date have 'separately' been proven to reduce cholesterol. Note the word, separately.

Certain researchers suggest that red yeast rice may have other ingredients, such as sterols that might also contribute to lowering cholesterol. Personally, I believe in the mixed monacolin theory, as no sterols alone lower LDL by up to 50 to 60% as has happened to many of my family, friends and acquaintances that I have recommended RYR too over the years.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
    As an added note, I take my RYR with 400 mg. COQ10 as I have been reading this is a more effective amount to be taking with this product.
    It has been established that 30mg per day of Kaneka quality manufactured CoQ10 is all that is required as a supplement for a person aged mid-thirties with no health conditions to keep ones muscles, especially the heart in tiptop condition.
    This intake rises to 400mg when one reaches one's seventies.

As statins inhibit the liver's production of Co-enzyme Q10 it has to date not been established that any form of Red Yeast Rice does.
    Having said that, for people in their fifties, 100mg daily, rising to 200mg daily when in their sixties and 400mg daily for the over seventies is highly recommended, whether taking or not taking Statins/RYR.

Yak e Dar.

Last edited by yackedar; 11-16-2009 at 11:54 PM.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
    juan motime
    (male)

juan motime HB User

Yak e Dar--

This is one of the most well-written, informative posts I've read anywhere.

Thanks for taking the time to share this detailed, useful info.

Also, I hope you are a frequent contributor to these message boards from now on.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:22 AM   #8
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

"It has been established that 30mg per day of Kaneka quality manufactured CoQ10 is all that is required as a supplement for a person aged mid-thirties with no health conditions to keep ones muscles, especially the heart in tiptop condition.
    This intake rises to 400mg when one reaches one's seventies.

As statins inhibit the liver's production of Co-enzyme Q10 it has to date not been established that any form of Red Yeast Rice does.
    Having said that, for people in their fifties, 100mg daily, rising to 200mg daily when in their sixties and 400mg daily for the over seventies is highly recommended, whether taking or not taking Statins/RYR."

Yak e Dar.

Thanks for your response.

I have Lyme Disease so 400 mg. CoQ10 works well for me. So aside from age, there are many other illnesses that would also benefit from this boost.

Jen

Old 11-19-2009, 05:49 AM   #9
    juan motime
    (male)

juan motime HB User

I can't find any info on the internet regarding whether red yeast rice should be taken with or without food.

Does anyone know if it matters?

Old 11-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
    yackedar
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi juan,

With or without in the evening.

Closed Thread