It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Niacin complex to lower cholesterol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
    Niacin complex to lower cholesterol

I recently stopped taking my 40 mg of Zocor and was seeking a natural alternative to help lower my cholesterol. I recently purchased a product call Nutri Chol-Less. It is a naicin complex that consists of:

Niacin (insositol hexaniacinate) 400mg
    garlic 400 mg
    bridall berry extract 160 mg
    guggul extract 100 mg
    hawthorn 50 mg
    fenugreek 50 mg
    vanadium 15 mg

I purchased it at a health food store for $30 a bottle. I am supposed to take it twice a day. Are these ingredients good to lower cholesterol or am I just wasting my money and my time.

Thanks,

Missy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2010, 04:15 AM   #2
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
    Re: Niacin complex to lower cholesterol

insositol hexaniacinate is non flush Niacin. I feel the flush Niacin is more effective then the non-flush or time released varieties. If you start with VERY low doses of Niacin (and it is imperative that you do this!) it is possible to slowly work up to higher amounts without the flushing discomfort.

Niacin is good for raising HDL. If you want to lower LDL I would suggest Red Yeast Rice. There has been a lot of discussion here about RYR if you want to do a "search". I use Krill oil for triglycerides.

There's probably nothing "wrong" with the product you are taking but, to me, it seems expensive. A 100 capsule bottle of Twin Lab Niacin costs about $4.50 and, I think, it is probably more effective.

Last edited by jenj770; 01-17-2010 at 04:16 AM.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
    yackedar
    Veteran
    (male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

Inositol Hexaniacinate is prescribed in Germany and several other European countries. Favourable study results exist.
    Closer to home, HDL increased by 8 mg/dl after three months.

Address inflammation and your cholesterol levels should normalise naturally.........Not solely with lifestyle, exercise and diet changes.

Yak-e-dar.

Last edited by yackedar; 01-17-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

missy - The Inositol Hex. type, does not benefit your cholesterol levels. It's possible the ingredients used for this type are sub-standard in this country. Policosanol (made from sugar cane) is another proven remedy, but in this country, most types being sold have not benefited cholesterol levels. Most are not made from sugar cane and are not FDA approved. The rest of the ingredients you mentioned can probably help. Try adding Plant sterols such as Nature Made "Cholestoff" and also use margarine spreads such as "Benechol". This can lower cholesterol by up to 20 points. Try taking a very low dose of regular niacin. Start slowly for a few days at about 50 mg. a day, then 100 mg. for a few more days etc..... Most chain drug stores sell 100 mg tablets, which you can spit in half. This will show great results if you can take even 500 mg. a day.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
    polacekt
    (male)

polacekt HB User

I do not know of ANY placebo-controlled clinical trials of inositol, "no-flush" niacin (INH)showing it works. One study in 16 patients showed a positive effect, but was uncontrolled. (was it diet changes, or some other intervention?) Importantly, numerous comparative studies with Nicotinic acid (the form of niacin that improves dylipidemias) show that it does not work. The most recent study was compared to wax matrix, extended release niacin, and placebo. INH was the same as placebo. This was presented at the 2008 ATVBR annual meeting.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
    polacekt
    (male)

polacekt HB User

Other non-prescription options for your cholesterol that are proven with published clinical studies are Pytosterols and stanols, pantethine, red yeast rice, and omega 3s. The challenge is to find a reliable manufacturer for each of these products, and to understand what dose you are getting.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

If you can adjust to plain Niacin, it is the only cholesterol lowering supplement to effectively control and improve every lipid subfraction.
    Niacin has been shown to lower LDL cholesterol, Lp(a) lipoprotein, triglyceride, and fibrinogen levels while simultaneously raising HDL cholesterol levels. No cholesterol medication currently available can raise HDL by up to 40% and lower Lp(a) by more than 30%.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question. Alot of helpful information. I think I will try a low dose of Niacin to start and see if that helps. Can anyone explain to me about the flushing part? What is it like - a hot flash? Does it raise your blood pressure or anything like that? What causes the flushing and how long does it last?

Any good brands of Niacin to take?

Thanks again,
    Missy

Old 01-23-2010, 03:43 AM   #9
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

As Ace said, find a brand that is a low dose tablet that you can then split even further. A 100 mg. tab could be cut into quarters and that would be a good way to start - as low as possible. The flushing is minimal to none if you start this way. If you do experience some flushing it will be itchy red skin and feeling heat in your body, but as I said, you can minimize this greatly by doing the scale up method.

Last edited by jenj770; 01-23-2010 at 03:44 AM.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #10
    NaicinFriendly
    (female)

NaicinFriendly HB User
    No-Flush DOES NOT WORK!, some don't mind the flush

Hi all. I <have a> a bad serum lipid problem. I have a strong family history of heart attacks at an early age and strokes. When I was about 42, I started having chest pain. Too Young? NOT! People in their 30's can get really bad heart attacks (MI)!

At that time I had blood work and found out to my horror that I had a triglyceride level of 750 following a 12 hr fast (HIGH normal is 150, people with a history of heart attack you want it under 100 if possible). This means that after that slice of Quiche, followed by cheesecake and coffee with cream my TG level was probably over 1000!! (at this level really bad things can happen). My cholesterol was about 300 with HDL only 40 - 45. I was about 10 lbs overweight and not getting exercise.

I read "The 8 Week Cholesterol Cure" (which I recommend) and learned the following - the "no-flush" niacin is not really niacin. It does NOT lower cholesterol.

**Some people LIKE the flush feeling** and some people can't stand it. I like like it. I do find that when I take a night dose that I sweat at night.

Here's what I do / take: a) exercise, I walk 1 - 3 miles 4 - 5 times per week, b) generally 1 - 2 drinks per evening c) 500 fast and 500 slow niacin AM and PM (yes I get a nice, pleasant flush) (plus asprin, calcium vit D, 2000 mg fish oil), AND 20 mg / day Lipitor. I have been doing this for 3 years. I have TRIED low cholesterol / fat diet with oat bran and exercise. This did not work for me. My numbers barely budged.

Numbers now: Triglyceride 100 - 150. Total Cholesterol 170 with HDL 70!

So, I THINK the 'problem' is 'cured'. One NEEDS to get liver function tests every 6 months with this kind of regieme as this could be hard on the liver. One should NOT be on the lipitor / niacin combo without monitoring this / discussing with your doctor.

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-24-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: removed profession

Old 01-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
    yackedar
    Veteran
    (male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User
    Re: No-Flush DOES NOT WORK!, some don't mind the flush

It is prescribed in Europe.....It works.

What Inositol Hexanicotinate is is basically a molecule made of an Inositol molecule bound to 6 molecules of niacin. During digestion, these niacins are peeled off slowly and utilized as free niacin thus the NH is basically just another form of time release niacin, aka slow-release, non-flush, delayed release, extended release, long acting, sustained release, etc..
    They really are variants of the same thing.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

missy - jen is correct. I started with a dose of about 50 mg a day (a 100 mg tab broken in half) for about a week, then I increased to 100 mg for another week than 150 till you can push for at least 500 mg a day. In regard to the flush, many alternative doctors say you should seek the flush for it's many benefits. The flush is really boosting circulation and bringing impurities to the surface. It may seem scary, but it's a health flush. It also lowers your blood pressure and improves your sleep. I saw a special on TV one night where Firemen and Paramedics exposed to toxins, took a high dose of niacin than immediately worked out on a treadmill. Their tea shirts began to show tinges of perspiration with a dark ash like color. Niacin they stated, removed the toxins from below the skin and brought it to the surface. Talk about being sold on Niacin? I take Niacin everyday at doses of 2,000 - 3,000 mg a day.
    The only side effect I've had, is dryer skin. I've never in almost 8 years had an increased liver enzyme. This happens 99% more with the time release formulas. With the exception of NIASPAN which is an FDA approved extended release pharmaceutical formula, almost all other suspended/extended release carry a greater risk for increased liver enzymes, similar to statin drugs.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #13
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Ace,

Thanks for the info but now I am starting to get confused. If inositol hexaniacinate is slow release, then that means that I could have increased liver enzyme readings at my next blood test? That's one of the reasons I quit taking the Zocor in the first place. My liver enzymes went from 18 to 35 while on Zocor. If Niaspan is extended release, why doesn't that also increase liver enzymes and why do doctors prescribe it instead of just regular Niacin? Maybe I better just go by me a bottle of Cholestoff!!!!

Missy

Old 01-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
    yackedar
    Veteran
    (male)

Missy,

The below form of Niacin has been studied multiple times over, here in Europe, but very little in the USA. So advice would be better received from a member of one of the nations where it has been used for 50+ years.

Inositol Hexaniacinate multiple study facts. (European Multi National.)

The addition of Inositol reduces any flush. In addition to this, it does not increase the enzymes in the liver, which can happen when using time-released niacin. (Fact.)

Inositol Hexaniacinate has not been linked with the side effects associated with niacin supplementation with daily doses of up to 3gms.

Has been proven to increase HDL by between 30 and 40%. If it 'does not work' why would the German government allow it's prescription to improve lipid profiles?

So don't worry about your liver with this product.

Yack-e-Dar.

Last edited by yackedar; 01-27-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Whoops! improve, not increase.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:35 AM   #15
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Yackedear - The research studies conducted here in the U.S on both INOSITOL HEX and POLICOSANOL do not show any significant results versus placebo. In Europe and So.America they appear to work. This leads me to believe, that the quality of the ingredients in this country are not the real deal. Consumer Labs has conducted many studies on Non FDA approved vitamins, including INOSITOL supplements, and most have failed for lack of correct ingredients. We really don't know what we are really taking. That may be a reason. The last Inositol hexanicotinate (Flush Free Niacin) study showed that after three months at 1500 mg/day no trend for improvements in total cholesterol, LDL-C, HDL-C or triglycerides exist.

Missy - INOSITOL HEX is neither type of Niacin. Not Extended or Immediate release. Niacin is in a class of it's own, hence the name of the substance does not include Niacin. Another form of Niacin is called "Niacinamide".
    Niacinamide does not effect the liver at all. It also does nothing for high cholesterol. It works for Acne and Inflammation, but it lacks the vasodilator, gastrointestinal, hepatic, and hypolipidemic effects of Niacin.

Closed Thread