It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• New statin "Livalo" (PITAVASTATIN) approved in the U.S.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
    New statin "Livalo" (PITAVASTATIN) approved in the U.S.

A new statin called "Livalo" (generic name PITAVASTATIN) was recently approved by the FDA for high cholesterol. This statin is supposed to have less side effects and a good safety profile. It is intended for older clinically complex patient populations, such as the elderly, patients with diabetes or patients who take multiple medications for co-morbid conditions.

Last edited by ACE28; 04-16-2010 at 10:36 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to ACE28:
    Lynn0849 (01-16-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
    juan motime
    (male)

juan motime HB User
    Re: New statin "Livalo" (PITAVASTATIN) approved in the U.S.

Have you heard anything about when this drug will be available in the U.S.?

Also, any word on how expensive it will be?

Old 04-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

It was supposed to be released in the 1'st quarter of this year. It has been approved by the FDA and is probably still pending final release. This statin is marketed as more tolerable and has less effect on the liver. The decription states that it is frequently prescribed as first-line therapy for a broad range of patients including the elderly, patients with diabetes and those whose treatment is complicated by concurrent disease and concomitant medications. It appears to be a safer alternative than other avaialble stains, but I think only time will tell. It's available in 1 mg. - 4mg. tablets.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
    Imacarbuff
    (male)

Imacarbuff HB User

I've read where this statin has been in use in Japan since 2003. If it is available in 1mg-4mg doses, I think that alone would explain the reason for fewer side effects.

I've been told and I also read that many side effects are dose related. Big pharma has most patients start at 20mg or more.

I would venture to say that if I only took 4mg of pravastatin-my side effects would go away. Just my thoughts.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
    yackedar
    Veteran
    (male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

<removed>
    Please do not copy and past materials from other websites.

My personal view: The most potent statin on the market with the same side effects as all the other 'class 3' statins.

Yack.

Last edited by HBMod07; 08-05-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
    Lulubells
    Veteran
    (female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

A statin is still a statin and they won't get me to take it! They also "claimed" the ones out there now had no bad side effects and still won't admit they do so I already know they care more about their bottom line over my health.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
    Imacarbuff
    (male)

Imacarbuff HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lulubells View Post
    A statin is still a statin and they won't get me to take it! They also "claimed" the ones out there now had no bad side effects and still won't admit they do so I already know they care more about their bottom line over my health.
    I agree with you 100%. I actually took myself off of statins last year due to getting to the point where it felt like I had been hit by a bus some days. After 6 months-I felt really, really good....15 years younger! But-my last bloodwork came back not so good-so I am back on statins. First 40 mg of Lipitor-that didn't take long for that to beat me down, tried 20mg and finally baled on that and went with the pravastatin. Should be 40mg, I'm at 20mg now.

How did you get off statins and keep decent numbers? I've adjusted my diet to where I have eliminated most of the "junk-food"...and I don't smoke.

A few of the books I just finished regarding statins-say the whole statin issue is over blown. I'd really like to think so.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
    Lulubells
    Veteran
    (female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

I made major diet changes and just started eating like we ate as kids, mostly fruits, vegetables nuts and beans. Red meat only once a week, maybe chicken or fish once a week but I enjoyed the fruits, veggies, nuts and beans so much I often skipped eating any meat at all. I take Omega 3 fish oil up to 5 or 6 a day now. In eating like that, I lost 50 pounds and had to add more carbs and fat back into my diet to maintain the weight where I want it.... I have kept it there for 2 years now.

I DO NOT buy into those super low numbers they want and find I feel my best with it around 225.. Under 200 I am just about non functional. I get laughed at when I say that because "they" say cholesterol has nothing to do with energy levels but if your body don't have what it needs, it reacts! I don't care who believes or disbelieves it.

Oh, and FYI, I do have the inherited high cholesterol.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:53 AM   #9
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Dr. Mercola has a great, new article on this very subject. Well worth the read.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
    Imacarbuff
    (male)

Imacarbuff HB User

I have to agree....I'm only shooting for 200-225 myself. I've had it forced to 140 with Lipitor a few years ago-and truly felt like I was at death's door.

My Dr believes anything big pharma tells him....and thinks only about 2% has issues with statins. That number I think comes from "many doctors that do not report the side effects from their patients" and the "cherry-picking" of the persons who are allowed to participate in the drug trials.

I already take 200 mg of CO Q10, one fish oil per day ( I will increase that) and 5 of the fiber capsules per day.

Closed Thread