It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Help !!! My doctor wants to put me on a Statin for high cholesterol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
    Sonohead
    (female)

Sonohead HB User
    Help !!! My doctor wants to put me on a Statin for high cholesterol

Help...I don't want to go on these meds. My total cholesterol is 282. LDL is 192, HDL is 90, and tri's are 115. I am 54 and weigh 140. Any suggestions? I started on a low fat diet and take beta glucan. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
    Re: Help !!! My doctor wants to put me on a Statin for high cholesterol

You may want to be more selective about fat and carbohydrate intake, rather than trying to completely cut out one or the other.

Favor unsaturated fats (typically from vegetable sources other than coconut and palm oil, and fish fat) over trans-fats / hydrogenated oils and saturated fats. This may help with the LDL.

Favor slow digesting fibrous carbohydrates over sugars and refined carbohydrates. This may help with the triglycerides. Note that high triglycerides are associated with small dense LDL, which tends to be more dangerous than large buoyant LDL.

Increasing exercise may help increase your (already high) HDL.

If you have excess body fat (typically seen when waistline at navel level is more than half your height), losing it is likely to help the blood cholesterol numbers.

You may want to discuss with your doctor about other risk factors (e.g. personal or family history of heart disease, high blood pressure, etc.) that may affect the blood cholesterol goal and urgency.

Last edited by tjlhb; 05-21-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:31 AM   #3
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Your HDL is great! If you want to lower your LDL and Tri you could consider alternative supplements such as RYR (Red Yeast Rice) for lowering LDL (it worked for me) and Krill oil for Triglycerides.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
    Shep337
    (female)

Shep337 HB User

I resisted statins too and think I may be able to go off since my numbers are so great with other things I am doing:
    Enduracin 1000 mg (2x 500mg) at night before bed along with 2 baby aspirin-- the aspirin I take because I had 2 heart attacks--from stress (grief, both after deaths of close ones--yes it does happen), my cholesterol was never really high, but now I must get it as low as possible since my heart attacks were from very small arteries getting clogged from clots--explosions in my artery clots tried to heal up--I've learned tons about clots, they are meant to heal damaged vessels until they break loose--easy to clog again, but not the widow-maker so I'm lucky there.
    BUT the aspirin with the Enduracin practically guarantees I don't get the flush feeling and if I do it's mild or I'm asleep and don't notice (never wakes me up anyway)
    DHA 900 algal--it's stronger than fish oil because the DHA is the part that lowers cholesterol --when taking fish oil it's tough to find one that has higher DHA than EPA--we need more DHA so with the Algal it is straight from the algae that fish eat--cuts out the middleman er middlefish and does not have the mercury risk that fish oil may have.
    but the BEST thing we can do is to NOT go on a low fat diet--that makes things worse by lowering your HDL which battles the LDL--
    eat a HIGH good fat, low bad fat diet instead--the easy way I do this instead of counting numbers is to ONLY buy food that has more good fat than bad, regardless of how much fat it actually has (within reason of course). so now salad dressing is my best friend--I put Balsamic dressing on almost anything I can--it ios all good fat and no bad fat and oil works better when it is not heated--heat breaks it down. I only eat 100% whole grain (watch them tricky words), salmon or sardines 2 or 3x week and little to no processed foods (so it takes longer to cook, do I want to live healthy longer?)

My numbers went from total 185 down to 110, triglycerides are now 52! and LDL 90 , but HDL is still only up to 55 (from 32 right after attacks), my goal is 80 (because of the heart attacks).

I had the $1600 Berkely Heart Lab (BHL) done to figure out why I was having the attacks (overweight whole life, but not enough to be cause, cholesterol not unreasonable, all other bloodwork was exactly where it should be and BP was only slightly high at 130/85 at its worst, usually 120/75.

BHL explained I am part of the 60% of the population who should NOT be on low fat diet but a moderate fat diet (more good fat than bad) so STOP eating non-fat dairy and other non-fat foods--and eat low fat with good fats or moderate fat. I read the total fat number then if the saturated fat number is half of that or less I get it, if the saturated fat is less than one third or 1 quarter I make it a regular buy! and if there's fat but no saturated fat I keep it stocked in my house almost as a medication!

Back to the statins--my cardiologist resist me going off statins for red yeast rice (a natural statin) because "they aren't regulated" but if I didn't have a heart attack history I would tell him and try it and make sure I was monitored after a few months to make sure all was ok.

I did argue to have him change my statins because lovastatin was awful--it gave me memory loss and pain, I couldn't do my job while on it. the pravstatin has been ok, I take 80mg (that's a lot) and don't notice any problems and it's cheap so I'm ok with it and I also TAKE IT AT NIGHT. My cardiologist (who also teaches and keeps up to date, great guy)said the bad stuff is released into our bloodstream when we go to sleep so it makes sense to have the fighter drugs in there at the same time instead of waiting until the next day after some damage has already been done. Good luck!

Last edited by Shep337; 05-22-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
    Sonohead
    (female)

Sonohead HB User
    Smile Re: Help !!! My doctor wants to put me on a Statin for high cholesterol

Thanks everyone...I have been on a low fat diet now for about a month. I use only olive oil. I have cut out all red meat. I only eat skinless chicken, turkey and salmon or other fish three times a week. I use to be an ice cream junkie, so now I make greek yogurt and fruit shakes with flax seed. I walk at least 3 miles a day. When I was 38 I had to have a total hysterectomy and am not on hormones. I am 54 now. I have been under alot of stress for many years, so my high LDL may have something to do with that. My father has high cholesterol and is on meds. My mother and her mother had strokes. Has anyone heard of taking beta glucan or high cholesterol? Is it ok to eat alot of fruit everyday? Thanks to everyone that replied back to me...I appreciate it!

The following user gives a hug of support to Sonohead:
    Gleegirl (01-18-2011)
    Old 05-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sonohead View Post
    Is it ok to eat alot of fruit everyday?
    Whole fruit is ok in reasonable amounts. Juices concentrate sugar and leave out fiber, so they are best limited or avoided. Dried fruit can be quite calorie dense, so if you are trying to limit calories to keep body fat down, it may not be that great a choice.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
    outerorbit
    (male)

outerorbit HB User

I read in an earlier post taking Omega 3 oil with RRY is beneficial in that it works well together. i began this regimine about 9 monthes ago but included Omega 3,6,9.
    It rather hard to tell yet as Iam not due blood work(lab) for another 3 monthes but, last fall when I was put on Simvastatin, my pain level Jumped. i dealt with the pain ther the winter until I found RRY as I hate going to the doctor for what Iam already diagnosed with. But, i can tell the difference in energy with Pycnogenol as an ingrediant in the Mega Mens Multi I get from Puritans Pride where I also get my RRY, Resveratrol. iam hoping for a 'better Winter' this year. :-)

Old 12-16-2010, 06:54 AM   #8
    LP123
    (male)

LP123 HB User

there is new evidence to suggest that avoiding vegetable oil(not olive oil) will help with bad cholesterol.

eating good fats like sunflower, pumpkin seeds etc. will help you get good cholesterol. do some research on this as external links are not allowed here, but there is plenty of stuff about the dangers of statins and bad cholesterol.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
    Gleegirl
    (female)

Gleegirl HB UserGleegirl HB User

look into organic apple cider vinegar...2 T per day is known to bring down cholesterol levels, BP, and is helpful in digestion, fighting bacteria and more. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
    mashreed
    (female)

mashreed HB User

I have been trying to get my cholesterol levels down myself. I have managed to do it in the past. This time was different. Last year total up around 280, and dr wanted to put me on meds to lower it. I told her I can do it myself with diet. Well when I went back about 4 months later it was down to about 250, so I told her I would get serious and promised it will be down when I come back. When I went back in 5 months it had gone up now was 282. I went to a diatician and we couldn't figure it out, I was watching everything and had lost 15 lbs to boot. I was getting ready to leave and asked if stress can cause your cholesterol to go up and she said absolutely! I had been under the worst stress in my life over the past 6 months, so I knew that was it. I am now still watching what I am eating, but taking meds to help relax me and doing everything I can to help lower my stress level. I had no idea stress could raise cholesterol, but I do now and I hope when I go back in March it will be down, and my stress has slowly reduced too, so Don't stress over high numbers it will only make it higher. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
    Shep337
    (female)

Shep337 HB User

Stress--yes, big problem with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, even diabetes and sugar levels. Stress kills is not just a saying, stress makes our bodies put chemicals, hormones, etc into our bloodstream and alters many different parts of us.
    I use deep breathing, just a few minutes of slow deep "yoga" breaths I call them and it does wonders, has even lowered my heart rate in a matter of minutes.
    Since doing the breathing whenever I feel stressed or anxious I no longer need my anxiety medication sitting in a drawer.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
    mashreed
    (female)

mashreed HB User

That's good to know, about the deep breathing, at this point I'll try anything to help lower my stress, to help lower my cholesterol. I went to a therapist to help with my stress this past Monday. She told me to get this book "The Anxiety & Phobia workbook" some interesting stuff in this book. The next time I go back she will work with me on what is causing the stress and how to get relief. I know stress is a killer, I am a worry wart and have had ulsers in the past, hives, loss of hair, right now eczema break out, the worst I've ever had. All from stress. I really have done much better with dealing with stress over the last 10 to 15 yrs, I don't know why I am having such a rough time with it right now. It just kinda creeps up on ya, and boom there it is and don't know why. I think the weather isn't helping, its been supper cold and had lots of snow lately, can't get out and too cold, don't want to get out. I hope in another month or so when weather breaks will help too. Then I can atleast get outside and walk and enjoy some fresh air. But in the mean time, I'll try the deep breathing, I am sure it can't hurt. Thanks

Old 01-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
    Shep337
    (female)

Shep337 HB User

Sounds like I've had some of the same issues, another thing that helps me is keeping the colors around me bright-- I read just a few weeks ago that they can trace color perception in the brain to depression--they just don't know which is the cause and which is the effect-- but either way bright colors can't hurt. Especially with SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder (I have it mildly) so I keep my office yellow so it's bright year round even during grey skies like now (as I am wearing orange too).
    good luck and keep breathing

Closed Thread