It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Pravastin Side Effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
    BamaC
    (female)

BamaC HB User
    Pravastin Side Effects

Is it possible to develop side effects after taking Pravastatin for some time? My daughter has been taking it for about two yrs. and has recently developed muscle and nerve pain around neck, shoulder, and side of face.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
    Re: Pravastin Side Effects

Most definately. Any statin can cause it and usually does in most folks. Some folks it takes awhile, others like myself it showed up within 7 months. No matter what they tried me on I got the same side effects, so now they leave me be about taking anything, plus I keep my numbers low with diet and exercise. It showed side effects on a friend after 3 years. She had all sorts of pains and aches and then they narrowed it down to her statins.

Have your daughter stop for awhile and see if the symptoms go away.

Best of wishes...JJ....

Old 03-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
    BamaC
    (female)

BamaC HB User

Thanks for the info, JJ. I really appreciate it. Daughter is seeing her dr. again tomorrow as the pain is really intense. I've kept my own chol. under control for almost 3 yrs. with RYR with excellent results and no side effects at all. In fact my results have been better than my dau. on pravastatin. My TC dropped 112 points in about 6 wks. from 288 to 176 and has stayed low. She may try RYR after this. Thanks again, JJ.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

No problem. I'm willing to bet her Dr. will tell her NO, it isn't the statin but trust me, I have seen more and more people who are ever so sorry they took them. Never tried the RYR as although it is a natural statin I shyed away from everything. Hope she has better luck if she tries the RYR.

Keep us posted how she does.....JJ...

Old 03-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
    misty57
    (female)

misty57 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BamaC View Post
    Thanks for the info, JJ. I really appreciate it. Daughter is seeing her dr. again tomorrow as the pain is really intense. I've kept my own chol. under control for almost 3 yrs. with RYR with excellent results and no side effects at all. In fact my results have been better than my dau. on pravastatin. My TC dropped 112 points in about 6 wks. from 288 to 176 and has stayed low. She may try RYR after this. Thanks again, JJ.
    Hi, Can you tell me what you mean by RYR. I started taking a statin about 3 weeks now and my legs are killing me. Cramps & burning. But I need to get on something because i already have 1 stent. Thanks, Misty

The following user gives a hug of support to misty57:
    JJ (03-05-2011)
    Old 03-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

RYR is Red Yeast Rice an over the counter natural statin. If you try it I hope it works for you as I have seen many that it did. Sorry to hear your in such pain but trust me, I know how you feel. Take care and feel better.

Best of wishes...JJ....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
    misty57 (03-05-2011)
    Old 03-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Misty...I believe you can get it just about anywhere but I have never used it. I suffered so much with statins I was afraid to go near anything, natural or not that even resembled a statin.

I know I have seen many folks on here say they have tried it, so hopefully someone will pop in and give you more advice. Sorry I couldn't.....

Really hope if you try it you get good results, so keep us posted.

Enjoy your day, and my best of wishes....JJ.....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
    misty57 (03-05-2011)
    Old 03-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty...I have never taken RYR so have no idea what the brands are. I'm hoping someone who does take it will pop in and give you some suggestions.

After what I went through on statins I was way too scared to even try RYR. Been keeping my numbers in order with just diet and exercise. Most times I get good reports, sometimes I'm a bit over the top, but not enough for me nor my Dr. to be concerned.

My best wishes.....JJ.....

Closed Thread