It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Is this good or bad news?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
    All4MyFamily
    (male)

All4MyFamily HB User
    Is this good or bad news?

Just received my labs back and it's hard to determine if it's good or bad news. I'm a 35 y/o male. Dr told me that my cholesterol was high (given I can see that it's above 200) but when doing the ratios everything seems normal or above average. I have high HDL & LDL's and I'm not sure if that is ok. Am I missing something?

Total Cholesterol: 211mg/dl
    HDL Cholesterol: 76 mg/dl (Ratio 2.8)
    LDL Cholesterol: 123 mg/dl (Ratio 1.6)
    Triglyceride: 59 mg/dl
    VLDL: 9.4 mg/dl
    HDL/LDL Ratio: (.6)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
    Re: Is this good or bad news?

I agree with you. Your ratios are very good! Cardiologists (many of them) look at the TC and if it's high they freak out and want to put patients on statins. It doesn't make sense to me that they are still doing this and not considering the ratios, especially with the many problems people have with statins.

Jen

Old 10-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
    All4MyFamily
    (male)

All4MyFamily HB User

Thank you for the response. To be fair, this was just my general practitioner doctor and not a cardiologist. I went in for a general physical and these were the results. I'm not sure if a cardiologist would have said the same or if my general was just being over precautions.

I think my ratios are good, but what do I know? I'm just a patient and they are the Dr.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Your numbers are very good, and there is nothing to worry about. Forget about the total cholesterol being over 200. That's meaningless when your HDL is that high. All of your ratios are excellent, and your triglycerides are very low, which makes things all the better!

Old 11-09-2011, 05:49 AM   #5
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I have high HDL as well but I think you could try to get the LDL down. I don't think you're in any trouble but lowering the LDL would be good.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
    yackedar
    Veteran
    (male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    I have high HDL as well but I think you could try to get the LDL down.....
    I totally disagree.

The very high HDL and low triglyceride figures in theory will prevent the just above average LDL-C from oxidizing within the arteries.

As has been said......on their own, lipid test figures mean 'nothing'. The ratios are meaningful with the Trigs/HDL ratio now regarded as the 'de facto' standard.

Over here, a doctor will probably not prescribe drugs to treat elevated LDL levels, unless the Triglyceride's are also elevated..... but will if the HDL is low.

Yack.

Last edited by yackedar; 11-10-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Closed Thread