It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• High cholesterol in spite of good genes/lifestyle

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
    RiderJen
    (female)

RiderJen HB User
    High cholesterol in spite of good genes/lifestyle

For the first time in my life my cholesterol is high. I've always had low cholesterol and so do my parents. I'm 56 and have a very healthy lifestyle: I'm not overweight, I exercise a lot, eat a healthy balanced diet (only occasional sugar as a treat), no fast food, no processed foods. I researched steps I can take to lower my cholesterol and I'm already doing them! I eat almonds as a snack, have eaten plenty of oatmeal (supposedly that helps), use low-fat milk in my morning cereal (Shredded Wheat or oatmeal), usually avoid butter except an occasional thin spread on a piece of bread at dinner, and pretty much everything else suggested to get the number down.

I'm an avid cyclist and I exercise most days of the week. I choose nutrient-dense foods in my diet. I will do whatever it takes to avoid taking meds. Any ideas what else I can do?

Here are my numbers:

CHOLESTEROL 216 <200 mg/dL
    TRIGLYCERIDE 50 <150 mg/dL
    HDL 93 >/=40 mg/dL
    LDL CALCULATED 113 <100 mg/dL
    CHOLESTEROL/HIGH DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN 2.3 <4.3

Last edited by RiderJen; 06-19-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: High cholesterol in spite of good genes/lifestyle

Well, your total cholesterol is a bit too high, as is your LDL, but your trigylicerides, your HDL, and your ratio are all great, and most current research shows that those are more important than the total number.

I'm no expert, but if those were my numbers, I would NOT be worried, and I would not consider medication.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
    RiderJen
    (female)

RiderJen HB User

Thank you. I'm not even considering medication. Several years ago I beat acid reflux with 100% lifestyle changes, no meds... some people asked me "why not take a pill?". Why not change my lifestyle and see if that works first?

I have read that the ratio is a more important number. I have even read that low low cholesterol is not even healthy.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

With a ratio of 2.3 I seriously wouldn't even give your numbers a second thought. Your HDL alone is fantastic and your other numbers are just a tad over the "so called" limit. If I had those numbers my Dr. would be VERY happy.

Keep dong what your doing....JJ....

Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
    JJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

BTW..Your right, too low cholesterol isn't healthy either.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
    RiderJen
    (female)

RiderJen HB User

Thank you, JJ.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

And I second that! The HDL number almost on its own trumps everything else but the ratios jsut are added proof that you are fine. Was this a fasting test?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
    RiderJen
    (female)

RiderJen HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    And I second that! The HDL number almost on its own trumps everything else but the ratios jsut are added proof that you are fine. Was this a fasting test?
    Thank you. Yes, a fasting test.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:33 AM   #9
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Hi Rider Jen!

I second all the suggestions here. Your ratios are nothing to be concerned about. But if any of your numbers should rise there are many of us here doing alternative, when needed, with success.

Glad to hear you're back to cycling. Is your rotator cuff now healed!

Jen

Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
    RiderJen
    (female)

RiderJen HB User

Hi Jen!

Great, that's good to know. It just seemed strange that my total cholesterol is now borderline high after being very low for many years. Well I won't worry but will keep an eye on the numbers and try to get the LDL down.

My rotator cuffs (and tennis elbow!) are better and my new doctor (also a cyclist) gave me clearance to start riding if I wear my elbow bands and if riding doesn't aggravate my arms. So far they are not aggravated one bit! They have improved, I believe partly due to the *** and Prolotherapy treatments -- I think they really did help some. I've also developed some new ways of doing things (lifting, etc.) that don't aggravate the elbows, and do some regular exercises for them. I'm also not working now so I don't have the aggravation either! Thanks for asking... how are you doing?

Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Jen,

Good news about your arms and such and glad the Prolo worked!

Re. your LDL. If, as you stated, you might want to bring it down at some point, many of us here use Nature's Plus Red Yeast Rice and a Kaneka Ubiquinol COQ10 supplement. This seems to work well.

Happy cycling!

Jen

Old 06-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
    Hypochondriacyy
    (male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User

With your Triggs at 50 you probably have the large buoyant particles. It's the small dense particles that are the bad ones. Low Triggs means large bouyant. Your fine.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
    RiderJen
    (female)

RiderJen HB User

Jen: Thanks for the names of the supplements; I'll keep those in mind if other measures aren't effective.

Hypo: Large buoyant and small dense particles? What? I've never heard about that. Always something new to Google.

Last edited by RiderJen; 06-20-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    cholesterol