It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• How to lower cholesterol and triglycerides

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
    ashfat
    (female)

ashfat HB User
    Unhappy How to lower cholesterol and triglycerides

HI, I've had my blood word done and have some areas of concern. I only found this out by asking for copies of my test results and my "family doctor" said everything was fine. NOT. Here were my numbers. If anyone could tell me how to lower the high ones and raise the low ones it would certainly be appreciated.
    EGFR 58 (too low)
    Triglycerides 1.97 (too high)
    Cholesterol 6.10 (too high)
    LDL 3.87 (too high)
    HDL Cholesterol 1.33
    Cholesterol/HDL 4.5 not sure about these last two. This is on my report. The rest of my test results seem to be okay.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
    SoundsFamiliar
    Inactive
    (male)

SoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB User
    Cool Re: How to lower cholesterol and triglycerides

[homecooking's become my forte, e.v. olive oil's become my staple for oil/fat, I almost totally avoid trans (hydrogenated/modified) fat, maybe that runs about 1 ounce in total per year]

my own numbers:

(pardon the 'metric' version, normal range is in brackets)

CHOL 4.53 (2.00-5.19 mmol/L)
    HDL 1.21 (>0.90 mmol/L)
    CHOL:HDL ratio 3.74 (<4.9)
    LDL 2.82 (2.50-3.39 mmol/L)
    TriGly 1.11 (0.45-2.29 mmol/L)

They used to be like yours (eg. 2001 - 2003 when I raised the concern):

CHOL 6.21
    HDL 1.01
    CHOL:HDL ratio 6.1
    LDL 3.95
    TriGly 4.55

Which, was 'lipidemia' (too much fat in my blood). My doctor had often casually remarked that there was room for improvement but had not told me I was at an unhealthy level. What was the red flag for me was the blood donor clinic sent me a letter about my blood being unsuitable as the high fat content did not allow it to be properly tested/screened. Ouch!!

sf

The Following User Says Thank You to SoundsFamiliar For This Useful Post:
    ashfat (09-19-2013)
    Old 09-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
    ashfat
    (female)

ashfat HB User
    Re: How to lower cholesterol and triglycerides

Thanks for the encouragement. I use olive oil a lot in all my cooking and on salads. Can work on more home cooking and less "processed" food, although my home cooking has increased this last year. Will keep working on it.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
    SoundsFamiliar
    Inactive
    (male)

SoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB UserSoundsFamiliar HB User

forgot to ask, what is EGFR?

sf

Old 09-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
    ashfat
    (female)

ashfat HB User

Apparently it has to do with your kidney function. Mine is low????? And you can't raise it once it is low but you can do things which help to maintain your kidney function. Anti-inflammatories are a definite NO. Saying that, the same day the "family doctor" had got my results back, he prescribed me Arthrotec for pain I was having in my back. I find out after from the Nurse Practitioner that I shouldn't take it, or Advil etc. Just Tylenol.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
    SoundsFamiliar
    Inactive
    (male)

Cool Re: How to lower cholesterol and triglycerides

"Levels below 60 mL/min/1.73 m2 for 3 or more months are a sign of chronic kidney disease. A GFR result below 15 mL/min/1.73 m2 is a sign of kidney failure and requires immediate medical attention."

I'd be wanting a retest at the 90 day point. Avoid excessive protein intake (that's the hardest for kidneys to metabolize, many people consume 3 to 5 times as much protein as they need). Yeah, you want to be careful about OTC meds like 'NSAIDs' (anti-inflammatories) at least until this issue is pinned down. Wondering about the likely causes (eg. high blood sugar or diabetes II, high b.p.).

sf

Old 09-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
    ashfat
    (female)

ashfat HB User
    Smile Re: How to lower cholesterol and triglycerides

Thanks for the tips. Will definitely have a recheck in 90 days. Didn't know protein was bad for kidneys. Had tried a slow protein diet last year to shed a few pounds. Guess that wasn't the smartest. Had cut out bread, pasta, potatoes and sugar and ate more beans and lentils. Can't win it seems.
    Well I don't have any form of diabetes and my blood pressure is always low when I have it tested. Not sure of my blood sugars but I think these were tested with the other blood tests. Will have to recheck.
    Sorry if my replies are slow coming back to you. I don't go on the internet everyday. Some time only twice a week. But I sure appreciate you thoughts. Thanks again.

Closed Thread