It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

Cholesterol 300!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
Vincent11
(male)

Vincent11 HB User
Red face Cholesterol 300!

I'm a fan of paleo and low(ish) carb but I'm nowhere near strict. I generally watch my carbs but been known to cheat with high glycemic carbs frequently. I made an intro post which I don't think is up yet since I'm a newb but if/when it posts, I'll link it. It has a bit more general info.

All through the long Winter, my activity levels dropped drastically. I had been taking long, brisk walks every day until it got cold and then I dropped to near-nothing couch potato. Every day that's been above freezing, I've gotten back out to walk but that's only VERY recently in New England.

Mid-January test:
I had not fasted completely--I had coffee with a tablespoon of grass-fed butter an hour before.
Total: 272
HDL: 46
LDL: 211
Trig: 76
All other factors were easily within normal ranges. My blood pressure always tests on the low end of a healthy range. Blood sugar was 95.

I tried to improve my diet but not drastically. Been making low-carb hot chocolates to satisfy dessert cravings using dark Hershey's cocoa but still cheated several times a week with high glycemic carbs.

Late March test:
Total: 300
HDL: 55
LDL: 228
Trig: 84

Lipitor arrived in the mail (40 mg/day) along with the results above. This time they sent no other info than what's above. I'm a bit stunned and scared.

I'm cutting WAY back on cheese (often), high glycemic carbs especially but all carbs, reduce my caloric intake in general, more fruits and veges and general fiber, and try to get cinnamon daily. My coffee has not been filtered well--been using an Aeropress with only a stainless steel filter so I'm now also using paper filters (just learned about this issue). I've ordered MCT oil to add to my coffee along with the grass-fed butter that I'm already using. I'm not taking the Lipitor and I'm not going low-fat. Getting back in the gym with weights which I did for years but I all but stopped a few years ago.

That's my initial plan. Crossing fingers. Wow, that got long. Sorry.

Last edited by Vincent11; 03-31-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Hit80
(male)

Hit80 HB User
Re: Cholesterol 300!

Vincent,

Red yeast rice
C0x10
Benecol margarine
Minute maid heart healthy version OJ
Metamucil
Arnold's double fiber wheat bread

Took all of the above for 4 months and my LDL dropped from 207 to 110. Total cholesterol dropped from 290 to 184. Not sure which of the ingredients above was the most effective but something in there worked. If you are wondering about benecol and the OJ I took them because they have stanols in it which reduce bad cholesterol. I also cut out red meat and went to the gym for 30 mins three times a week.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Vincent11
(male)

Vincent11 HB User
Re: Cholesterol 300!

I've since determined that I'm prediabetic so my first step is going to be getting my blood glucose levels balanced with diet and exercise; primarily diet. I am learning by testing what foods at what portions I can eat without spiking my BGL.

Closed Thread

Tags
allergies, cholesterol, chronic pain, gluten, lipitor 40mg, paleo