It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Help a Noob: Binge diet, High LDL (143) and kinda Low Triglycerides (87) question ...

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-28-2015, 08:34 AM   #1
    StephenJ82
    (male)

StephenJ82 HB User
    Help a Noob: Binge diet, High LDL (143) and kinda Low Triglycerides (87) question ...

Hello folks, I'm posting here because my Doctor wants me on Lipitor for high LDL but if possible I would rather go the diet route. Not asking anyone to contradict my Doctor, but is it possible diet is playing a role? I know LDL has a BIG genetic component, but both parents are in their late 70s and have never had any heart issues. Here are my stats:

Total cholesterol: 212
    LDL: 143 (Doc says should be < 100 so this is the problem)
    HDL: 53
    TriGlycerides: 87
    Blood pressure: 120/80
    Heart rate: 55 BPM

Doc says all my blood stats are GOOD, except the LDL. The Lipitor would be to reduce LDL.

My diet: I binge-eat twice a week. On both Friday and Saturday, I have a whole Little Caeser's pizza and a whole 1/2 gallon tub of Blue Bell Ice Cream, about 6,500 calories EACH day. According to the provided nutritional information, I get about 2.5x recommended carbs and 7.5x recommended saturated fat EACH of those days (pizza and ice cream combined). So for the two-day binge, I am getting about 5 days of carbs and 15 days of saturated fats.

Also, between the ice cream and pizza, i get about 4 1/2 days of recommended cholesterol over those two days.

The other 5 days, I eat a highly restricted low-fat diet, about 1300 calories a day. On these days i get about 60% of the daily recommended carbs, and about 20% recommended saturated fats.

So for the week, I am eating about 8 days worth of carbs, and 16 days worth of saturated fats. Cholesterol on the five non-binge days is around 50% recommended each day, so for the week I basically get the exact amount of recommended cholesterol.

I also exercise: Each day, without fail, I average 600 calories a day on an elliptical machine. I also lift weights once a week.

I am 6' tall male, 50 years old, I weigh 215 pounds, in good shape carrying no real excess fat, well-muscled, and my overall regime maintains that weight. I neither gain nor lose weight. In my 20s and early 30s, I ballooned up to 415 pounds, had an irregular heartbeat and a weak heart. Diagnosis was "morbid obesity", Docs said my heart was pumping inefficiently because it was wearing out, used the analogy of putting a Honda Civic fuel pump in a Ford Tundra truck.

I was put on beta-blockers while I went on a crash diet and lost 200+ pounds in less than a year (1997-1998), the old-fashion way, as this was before gastric-bypass was available. I have kept the weight off ever since and haven't needed betas since June 1998.

QUESTION: Does anyone think cutting the saturated fats can reduce my LDL or is it a genetic thing?

Also, while my Carbs and Cholesterol average out to about what is recommended for a week, they are heavily-loaded on the two days i binge. I get far more of each on the binge days and far less of each on the other five days. Obviously, the saturated fat is also heavily loaded on the two binge days as well, and the volume is so great that it doesn't average out to anything like a normal amount over the course of the week. Is this pattern a problem?

I have NOT told my doctor about the binge eating on the weekends ...

Last edited by StephenJ82; 02-28-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
    40yofemale
    (female)

40yofemale HB User
    Re: Help a Noob: Binge diet, High LDL (143) and kinda Low Triglycerides (87) question

I think you should tell your doctor about the binge eating. It sounds like it is possibly relevant to the cholesterol situation. If nothing else, it sounds like something your doctor should know about.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:58 AM   #3
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User
    Re: Help a Noob: Binge diet, High LDL (143) and kinda Low Triglycerides (87) question

Your doc is only looking at one number. When your ratios are figured, which is more relevant, I see no reason for you to use a Statin. Your HDL, LDL and Trigs are all under the values that are considered risky. If it was a choice between reducing carbs and taking a statin I would opt for carb reduction. Red Yeast Rice by Nature's Plus is also helpful in reducing LDL.

Tess

Old 04-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
    StephenJ82
    (male)

StephenJ82 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tess201 View Post
    Your doc is only looking at one number. When your ratios are figured, which is more relevant, I see no reason for you to use a Statin. Your HDL, LDL and Trigs are all under the values that are considered risky. If it was a choice between reducing carbs and taking a statin I would opt for carb reduction. Red Yeast Rice by Nature's Plus is also helpful in reducing LDL.

Tess
    Thanks Tess and 40YoFemale ... I have an appointment with the doctor in 10 days, and I am going to ask him to postpone the Statin and tell him about my diet. Hopefully he will go along with that.

Last edited by StephenJ82; 04-23-2015 at 07:18 AM.

Reply Reply