It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Atenolol Withdrawal Syndrome

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2015, 11:16 PM   #1
    zhunt
    (female)

zhunt HB User
    Atenolol Withdrawal Syndrome

Wondering how long this might last. Was on 50mg daily since Oct 14. I tapered off 50mg daily over 30 days, stopped at around 3ish mg on April 27 2015 although I should have gone slower. I was on it for hyperthyroidism for 5 months, then I went hypothyroid and my endo wanted me off it (she told me to cold turkey!!!) My Cardiologist kind of wanted me to stay on a low dose of it or any cardioselective beta blocker for that matter (I have asthma) for my tachycardia syndrome and (harmless so far) arrhythmia. I'd rather get on a cardio exercise regime instead...you know..whenever my thyroid gets its act together. His taper plan was very aggressive and fast and I went much slower than he recommended but faster than what my body really tolerated.
    I am being monitored for the heart stuff, but, in the mean time, I'm having junkie type withdrawals - trouble sleeping, shaking hands, anxiety, dizziness, headaches, pounding rapid heartbeat on waking and when changing positions, vivid dreams (although I had vivid dreaming while on it, too), sweating, blah blah blah.

I am wondering how long it usually takes to get some reprieve from atenolol withdrawal since it obviously has a withdrawal syndrome too. Help! 28 years old in PA.

Last edited by zhunt; 05-04-2015 at 11:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
    Caslon
    (male)

Caslon HB User
    Re: Atenolol Withdrawal Syndrome

I was on Atenolol for a month ,20 mg I think. I stopped it cold turkey and didn't experience anything negative. My ED went away 6 weeks later. I gained 12 lbs. in one month which after 8 weeks now my metabolism still hasn't returned to what it was. I can't seem to lose those 12 lbs on a very modest 2000 calorie a day diet. At your dosage, I can perhaps see why discontinuing it slowly or otherwise might cause lingering problems. I believe the Atenolol slowed down my metabolism for good. If I had known of the ED and my drastic one month weight gain beforehand, I'd not have taken it in the first place.

Last edited by Caslon; 05-06-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 05-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
    scott1965
    (male)

scott1965 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zhunt View Post
    Wondering how long this might last. Was on 50mg daily since Oct 14. I tapered off 50mg daily over 30 days, stopped at around 3ish mg on April 27 2015 although I should have gone slower. I was on it for hyperthyroidism for 5 months, then I went hypothyroid and my endo wanted me off it (she told me to cold turkey!!!) My Cardiologist kind of wanted me to stay on a low dose of it or any cardioselective beta blocker for that matter (I have asthma) for my tachycardia syndrome and (harmless so far) arrhythmia. I'd rather get on a cardio exercise regime instead...you know..whenever my thyroid gets its act together. His taper plan was very aggressive and fast and I went much slower than he recommended but faster than what my body really tolerated.
    I am being monitored for the heart stuff, but, in the mean time, I'm having junkie type withdrawals - trouble sleeping, shaking hands, anxiety, dizziness, headaches, pounding rapid heartbeat on waking and when changing positions, vivid dreams (although I had vivid dreaming while on it, too), sweating, blah blah blah.

I am wondering how long it usually takes to get some reprieve from atenolol withdrawal since it obviously has a withdrawal syndrome too. Help! 28 years old in PA.
    Did you experience any severe numbness or tingling in your hands/arms/face? Cold sensation in your extremities? I've had the those symptoms for the past week after cutting back from 100mg/day to 50mg/day per my doctor's instructions.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
    zhunt
    (female)

zhunt HB User

I had those as a side effect from the atenolol itself, cold hands and feet, they were blue, like not getting enough circulation. Is one of the reasons I came off atenolol, but now I feel like I'm having junkie withdrawals with anxiety, nausea, insomnia, shaking.

Closed Thread

Tags
    atenolol, taper, tapering, thyroid, withdrawals